• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Food - Peanutbutter & ______ Sandwiches

Nareau

Explorer
As a kid, I LOVED PB and mustard sandwiches. I've had them as an adult, and they're somehow not as appealing as they used to be...

Spider

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Peanut butter and margarine was a childhood favorite I have since grown disillusioned of. PB and honey is excellent. But my favorite is just plain peanut butter. And more peanut butter.

Demiurge out.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Pielorinho said:
I understand that peanut butter is a largely American thing, just like Marmite is a British thing and Vegemite is an Australian thing (or do I have it backward?) and Kim Chee is a Korean thing. Based on this, I have a theory that every nation has a food that they adore and that the rest of the world recognizes as utterly repulsive.

I mean, I eat peanut butter toast most mornings for breakfast; I love to make peanut butter cookies (and will probably make a big batch to see me through GenCon); a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a superior comfort food; and I make a mean spicy peanut butter/ginger sauce for doing pseudo-Thai dishes. But Kim Chee is revolting, I'm convinced they harvest Marmite from toilets that haven't been cleaned in months, and poutine is just a foul blasphemy against everything good and beautiful in the world.

Daniel

Perhaps the largest reason that I never want to live outside the US is that I wouldn't be able to find certain foods as easily as I can now; peanut butter being the largest example. When I was on vacation in Europe for a while, I'm sorry but the entire continent has simply not figured out how to make proper peanut butter (when I could find it).

As a kid, and now even, I've been known to sit down and eat a jar of peanut butter (with my hands directly, which is the only proper way).

And I actually ate some Kim Chee last night, largely because it's difficult to find in the South, and I was oddly enough in a mood to eat some when I found it for sale at the gorcery store. After an adventure with the lid almost decapitating me from blowing off due to the pressure under the seal, it was pretty good, if a bit of an acquired taste.

Now I need to get some bacon and try a PB&Bacon sandwhich... sounds yummy

Shemeska said:
And I actually ate some Kim Chee last night, largely because it's difficult to find in the South, and I was oddly enough in a mood to eat some when I found it for sale at the gorcery store.

I'm from South Dakota where we don't have ethnic foods. What is Kim Chee?

LiKral

First Post
Peanut butter is so sweet that putting anything else sweet with it sounds disgusting. But peanut butter + cucumber sandwiches are lovely.

fusangite

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I'm from South Dakota where we don't have ethnic foods. What is Kim Chee?
Korean hot pickled cabbage. To digress completely off this already off-topic thread. Kim Chi is the basis of one of my favourite annecdotes.

A friend of mine had convinced me to purchase a book called How to Succeed With Women for obvious reasons. But because it was written in that nauseating, optimistic tone self-help books generally are, I had finally put it down in disgust, unable to believe the nonsense they were promising me.

The last thing I had read was a piece of advice claiming that if one has difficulty initiating conversations with women, one should purchase a large, strange-looking object and wander around downtown with it. I think the authors recommended a large teddy bear.

Anyway, not thinking of the advice at all, I headed out to do my grocery shopping in the town in which I was residing at the time. To my delighted surprise, the store where I normally purchased my groceries was selling kim chi by the gallon in huge, clear plastic buckets. So I bought a gallon of kim chi (it was only $10.99 Cdn.) and began to walk home through downtown Victoria. Now, I gallon of kim chi is not the prettiest sight ever. It looks like someone has taken a bunch of Ukranian cabbage rolls in tomato sauce, thrown them against a wall and then scraped the results into a bucket.

Nevertheless, all kinds of attractive women began coming up to me and asking me about the kim chi as I walked through downtown back to my apartment. When I got home, I finished reading the book, which remains the only self-help book I take seriously.

EDIT: Kim Chi is great on rice with a fried egg on top with a little soya sauce and sesame oil.

Remove ads