• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Forge of Fury 5e (Roll20) campaign recaps

Nebulous

Legend
although I've also played the scenario three or four times previous, back when it came out in 3e times. It can be brutal.

It really is quite brutal! And I haven't been pulling any punches. They're in the foundry level right now, and all I can say is, well, it's not going well for them. They opened WAY too many doors looking for an escape route.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Good stuff! I'm running this for two groups, set in the Mror Holds in Eberron. I've added some city options at Korunda Gate and augmented the exploration stuff, plus put a 30-day time constraint to get the adventure done.

The first group opted to make their PCs be part of an adventuring guild founded by their characters from a previous campaign. True to form, they assaulted the Mountain Door head on, gave as good as they got, then retreated. Then their next master plan was to do the exact same thing again. They succeeded at breaching the Mountain Door and killed a ton of orcs and Old Yarrack. They destroyed the bridge, then took a long rest. Later they found the secret door into the orc barracks and used that to infiltrate, taking out Ulfe and the dire wolves plus a handful of remaining orcs. Now they've descended into the Glitterhame.

The second group decided to be journalists for the Korranberg Chronicle. They were a little more cautious so they explored the area of the Stone Tooth before going in, finding the siege tunnel. So their first contact with enemies was the troglodytes and then the duergar. (It's like they beelined it to the Foundry.) They had to flee from the duergar though. Later they went into the natural chimney and started fighting orcs. This ultimately led to their capture as the orcs started swarming. They later mounted an escape back through the natural chimney, but one PC got left behind along with an NPC captive. (I changed the captive commoners to Sister Lourda Mercy of the Silver Flame). So the party was split, didn't have their stuff except for their clothes, a shiv made out of a rib bone, and one item each that they could keister to keep it away from the orcs. Ultimately they decided to lure some orcs out of the dungeon, double back, take out some remaining orcs, rescue their friend, then escaped in a harrowing scene. Now they are contemplating heading back to Korunda Gate to resupply and return.

Nebulous

Legend
It's a really fun adventure, and I can see how people would want to run it more than once and change things up. I deliberately made the chasm bridge hard, and the chimney small size to deter PCs from going in that way. They actually missed the secret tunnel into the barracks, that would have made things easier! But I really did want them to focus on full frontal assault and breach it via force, which they did, but it was hard going. They found the siege tunnel later, but it was well disguised and would have been hard to find from the outside.

I've enjoyed all the levels so far in their own way, each tactically different. I think they're wishing right now they'd bargained and negotiated with the duergar instead of flat out trying to murder them.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thanks. It's a brutally difficult and deadly campaign, but we're loving it.

As I said previous, my players are at this one next- I fear they're going to make short work of the Orcs, or else after a first meeting they'll find a way to avoid them as much as they can. The Druid will wildshape into a Giant Spider and crawl the hell over the mountain door/entrance area, or find the chimney- and two of the other party members are mad stealthy- a rogue and a tabaxi warlock (the latter with lots of dex and cat-like skills). The only issue they're going to have (I'm guessing) is the dwarven paladin- they'll probably just lower him down the chimney if they find it... We'll see.

Keep it up feller.

Cheers goonalan

The only issue they're going to have (I'm guessing) is the dwarven paladin- they'll probably just lower him down the chimney if they find it... We'll see.

tRb9NGW.gif

Remove ads