D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil:

I've been playing around with trying to enter custom classes on your spread sheet. At the moment I am using the Additional Details box on the Start tab, combined with the hide class option on the same tab. It's been working out better than I had hoped.

However, it has brought to my attention a couple of features I'd like to ask for. <evil grin>

1) Would it be possible to get class rename boxes? I think you could fit 3 of them side by side just below the section where you display the Class/Level information on the Start tab.

2) In the Skills section of the Start tab, would it be possible to get a Training box just like the ones for Languages and Tools? My main reason for asking is that I use these to reduce the number of skills, languages, and tools associated with the base class I am use as a template for my custom class. Example: I am using the bard as the base class for my Artificer class. Unfortunately, the Artificer gets only 2 skills compared to the Bard's 3. A Training box would enable me to put a -1 in it like I've done for languages and tools.

3) The third request a bit more involved and may be too much work for you to want to bother with, but I am going to ask anyways. :)
I was wondering if there is any way to be able to hide classes, much like the Hide Class option you already have, but on a class to class basis. This way if I multi-class I can hide the base class I am using for my custom class, but still retain the other classes' information.

4) Came up with another request related to the other three; would it be possible, on the either the spellcasting tab (possibly in the Spellcasting block) to add a dropdown for each class spellcasting class that allows the selection of a different spellcasting ability score. Like charisma for a wizard instead of intelligence . . .

Anything you would be willing to do on any or all of these would be much appreciated. I am sure other would also appreciate these features once they realize just how easy it is to add a custom class manually within the limits of the spreadsheet.

Edit: I just had a thought, maybe add my suggestions to a Custom Class tab. Make the tab like the Wildshape and Adventurer's Log tab in that you can hide it if it is not needed. This would put all of this stuff out of sight and doesn't clutter up the normal sheet tabs.

Bugs:
1) For some reason I can't get get Custom background #3 to show up in the Background drop down box. I tend to create different versions of your spreadsheet with associated custom races, backgrounds, and deities (and sometimes spells). I usually try to fill a custom sheet with 3 races and 3 background then save it for future re-use. So this little bug is annoying more than critical since I doubt few people use all 3 backgrounds.

2) I am not sure if this is a bug or not, and it is easily fixed manually anyways. However I thought I'd mention it. On the Custom tab, under each of the Custom Races, you have a spot to enter Resistances. Are these supposed to auto-populate the Resistances spot on the Start tab? If they are, then that part is not working.

I am still in love with this sheet. The only thing that comes close is Fantasy Grounds Character Builder and that costs $60 and the GUI is stupidly designed. :)

One other thing I want to mention to you is that I have been working on a set of Custom Classes tabs. I have been trying to keep them completely compartmentalized; that is, everything I need to do with what I am doing is kept to these tabs. Also, considering that you may not want to incorporate my work on this into your sheet, it will be much easier for me to transfer my work to you latest versions of the sheet.

Dropdown lists and Tables I need are named in a format different from your own to be easily identified (a dd prefix for dropdowns, a t prefix for tables, etc.

What I want to do is set things up so that if you like it, it is hopefully easily integrated into the rest of you sheet with minimal issues. It is taking me longer than I had hoped due to the nature of your locked cells making it hard to find cell reference, but I am getting there. If worst comes to worst, at least I'll be able to create a display that I can either link to your Additional Details box on the Start tab, or at least copy/paste from to the same box.

Let me know if you have any comments please.

Hey Mergon, quite a load of requesting and bug fixing - good stuff.

First bugs, the easy stuff :)

1. This is a bug, fixed in v1.61
2. For Race 2 and 3 this was a bug and is now fixed in v1.61

Secondly requests
1, 2, 3, & 4

These all come back to custom classes (and sub classes) challenge. Each one touches the tip of the iceberg when it comes to implementing custom classes. I'm thinking an 80:20 rule for a design principle, i.e. design for 80% of the classes and for the 20% well, no cake for them (though maybe bit by bit implementing some new options for classes). Implementing the suggestions above are a sort of work arounds to the whole custom class problem - it kindof works and it's a little more difficult than it needs to be. So I will say this, let me think on this and see what can be done for implementing a custom class... can't promise anything, but let's see.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
As many have said before me, thank you for all your dedicated work on this wonderful file! It is great!

I just uploaded version 1.60 and I like the Adventurers Log Sheet tab. Two questions about that tab. 1.) What do you do if you run over 14 entries with your character? 2.) Is there any way to shrink the font size for the entries? I have had already had issues with DM name and DCI# fitting on one line. I also suspect some trouble with the Adventure name line and even the Session line. (I use that for the Expedition number and for the most part it fits, it is only when I want to list which mini missions does it get crowded. ie: DDEX3-1 (1&2) ).

Thank you greatly!
David

Thanks for the feedback, great you're enjoying the generator!

Okay, for your questions:

1. For over 14 entries just create a copy of the Adventurers Log sheet after the main one (It'll name it Adventurers Log (2)) and continue on. The only issue at the moment is if you transfer your character you'll need to manually transfer the new sheets across (for now). You'll get a prompt to use the existing values in the new sheet and choose yes - then you're done! Create as many Adventure Log copies as you like! Alternatively I could extend the current log file across 3 (or more) pages giving you around 45 entries in total. What would you see as the maximum number of entries required for 15-20 level character?

2. I wasn't sure if there would be enough room for these, could you post an example screen shot or your Adventure Log sheet so I can check out the test length and sizing for design changes? That would help a lot.

Screenshot (2).png

Thank you for the reply. I hope to have attached a screen shot showing my issues with the left part of the Logsheet. As you can see, I am having trouble with the date, the DM name and DCI#, Adventure Name, and Session#.

The date seems to be a formatting issue (?) maybe, but one that looks like it might be fixed with a little more space. The DM name and DCI# cell is just short for full names. My name is not very long, but at 15 characters (including the space) it doesn't quite fit with my DCI#. The Adventure Name is also short for some adventures. To date I believe the longest name for an Expedition adventure is "Mayhem in the Earthspur Mines". That is not to say we might not see longer, but for now that seems to be it. Last of all I put DDEX3-2 (1-5) as some (myslef included) lump all or some of the mini missions under one session (especially for DM REWARDS).

Again thank you for all your work on this, and I hope this little bit helps.

David Ellsworth

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Thank you for the reply. I hope to have attached a screen shot showing my issues with the left part of the Logsheet. As you can see, I am having trouble with the date, the DM name and DCI#, Adventure Name, and Session#.

The date seems to be a formatting issue (?) maybe, but one that looks like it might be fixed with a little more space. The DM name and DCI# cell is just short for full names. My name is not very long, but at 15 characters (including the space) it doesn't quite fit with my DCI#. The Adventure Name is also short for some adventures. To date I believe the longest name for an Expedition adventure is "Mayhem in the Earthspur Mines". That is not to say we might not see longer, but for now that seems to be it. Last of all I put DDEX3-2 (1-5) as some (myslef included) lump all or some of the mini missions under one session (especially for DM REWARDS).

Again thank you for all your work on this, and I hope this little bit helps.

David Ellsworth

Awesome, from your input I have redesigned the sheet - still a few tweaks here and there

Adventure Log 2.png

Dannyboy7702

First Post
When you select the feat Tavern Brawler your unarmed strike damage changes to a 1d4. But if you have unarmed strike selected in the Attacks Section and you have the feat Tavern Brawler your damage does not change to reflect the 1d4.

dunstvangeet

Explorer
What you may also want to do on some of the fields, is there's an option in Cell Formatting to do an "shrink to fit" option that should get rid of the cut-offs. That would be an easy way to make sure that it shows no matter what, and doesn't get cut off. That might be a better way to ensure that things don't get cut off.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
What you may also want to do on some of the fields, is there's an option in Cell Formatting to do an "shrink to fit" option that should get rid of the cut-offs. That would be an easy way to make sure that it shows no matter what, and doesn't get cut off. That might be a better way to ensure that things don't get cut off.

Thanks for the feedback

There are several cell with Shrink to Fit formatting where it makes sense, some have Wrap Text, some have neither. Which areas or cell are you referring to and on which sheets?

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Custom Subclasses - Kickstarting

Officially working on custom subclass functionality, will take awhile before release

Plan to add up to 3 custom subclasses which should be able to handle 80% of the subclass features.

This is a massive amount of work. You can show your support by buying me an ice cold beer or a nice bottle of red wine with PayPal

And there is SCAG soon as well... waaaah

Remove ads