D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Conandar

Explorer
Developer Mike Mearls tweeted that the class feature Unarmored Defense (barbarian, monk) and the spell Barkskin are compatible with Wild Shape forms (as methods of determining character AC). Barkskin sets the AC to be no lower than 16, but it uses concentration and is not compatible with barbarian rages. It is completely compatible with a monk features. Wild Shape forms use beast's Strength, Dexterity and Constitution, but the Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores are unchanged from the normal scores of the character. The Barbarian Unarmored Defense, being 10+Dexterity modifier+Constitution modifier, is not that desirable for use in Wild Shape as most beasts have no more than 16 in either of these areas. The Monk Unarmored Defense, being 10+Dexterity modifier+Wisdom modifier, is another story! It is reasonable that a Monk/Druid multiclass could have a Wisdom score at 20 (+5) by 9th level and their Unarmored Defense AC is almost certainly superior to any beasts Natural Armor+Dexterity modifier.

Currently, the Wild Shape area on the Start page only uses the Natural Armor method for setting the Beast AC, with the override area allowing adjustment of this value (+/- 1-3 or or whatever is typed). I would like the option to use the character's Unarmored Defense AC or Spell-granted AC instead. This can currently be achieved by determining the difference between the Natural Armor AC and the Unarmored Defense AC and adjusting according, but that is somewhat cumbersome. I would like to have the option in the Wild Shape area, of using the default Natural Armor AC, or the Unarmored Defense AC (based on the beast's stats, of course), or the Spell-granted AC (Barkskin or others).

Last edited:

Conandar

Explorer
On the start tab, it will not allow me to enter anything in the experience box. What is the secret?

EDIT: If your Office is unlicensed you won't be able to fill it out.

Have you cleared the flag that marks the file as coming from the net? I can see that flag in excel files causing problems. That flag doesn't care about the licensed state of the software.

Developer Mike Mearls tweeted that the class feature Unarmored Defense (barbarian, monk) and the spell Barkskin are compatible with Wild Shape forms (as methods of determining character AC). Barkskin sets the AC to be no lower than 16, but it uses concentration and is not compatible with barbarian rages. It is completely compatible with a monk features. Wild Shape forms use beast's Strength, Dexterity and Constitution, but the Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores are unchanged from the normal scores of the character. The Barbarian Unarmored Defense, being 10+Dexterity modifier+Constitution modifier, is not that desirable for use in Wild Shape as most beasts have no more than 16 in either of these areas. The Monk Unarmored Defense, being 10+Dexterity modifier+Wisdom modifier, is another story! It is reasonable that a Monk/Druid multiclass could have a Wisdom score at 20 (+5) by 9th level and their Unarmored Defense AC is almost certainly superior to any beasts Natural Armor+Dexterity modifier.

Currently, the Wild Shape area on the Start page only uses the Natural Armor method for setting the Beast AC, with the override area allowing adjustment of this value (+/- 1-3 or or whatever is typed). I would like the option to use the character's Unarmored Defense AC or Spell-granted AC instead. This can currently be achieved by determining the difference between the Natural Armor AC and the Unarmored Defense AC and adjusting according, but that is somewhat cumbersome. I would like to have the option in the Wild Shape area, of using the default Natural Armor AC, or the Unarmored Defense AC (based on the beast's stats, of course), or the Spell-granted AC (Barkskin or others).

I don't play Druids or Monks so please forgive my ignorance, but why would this be better as an option instead of just calculating to the best possible result given current character settings?

woodja

First Post

This functionality is already in there (or it was in ver 2.2) - I have a deep gnome monk who has been cursed with lycanthropy. I have set him up with a wildshape of wererat, and selected the Armor override as Unarmored Defense (Wis)
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Conandar

Explorer
Yes, we can already adjust the wild shape AC by adjusting the value. This is not an issue. Currently, wild shapes AC is calculated as natural armor, which is fine as a default. But, when we want to use Unarmored Defense or a spell like Barkskin for the AC instead, the only way to change the AC that is displayed is to determine the difference between the Natural Armor and the method you want to use, and then use the override adjust. This seems a bit cumbersome to me. This becomes more of an annoyance in the case of the monk version of Unarmored Defense. When the monk's wisdom score changes, his unarmored defense AC changes, too. (Since the barbarian version of unarmored defense uses constitution, it uses the wild shape's stats and are not changed by character ASIs.)

I guess what I am asking for is to change the override to be the same as the non-wild shape armor override - a set value instead of an adjust value. While there is no way to account for the use of a spell like Barkskin effect on AC except by using an override, having the Unarmored Defense option and using the best AC available should be possible without resorting to an override.

EDIT: Well, I still have things to learn about this program. After reading responses more closely, I see than what I wanted is indeed already present. I never checked the Armor override because I was too focused on the AC override. That is my bad. :blush: Thanks again, Forged, for an awesome tool!

Last edited:

Conandar

Explorer
anyway to cut down the size a bit in order to open using excel online?

That seems unlikely. If anything, it will get even bigger this winter when the XGE book is released, with a bunch of new sub-classes and other things.

Edit: I just checked out the online version and see that it has a file size limit of 5MB. This tool is already considerably larger than that and cutting enough to bring the size down below 5MB would be a huge task (if it is even possible at all). Certain pages could be eliminated, based on your needs, but you would need a standard version of excel to even try this method. In particular, I think the Custom, DesignSpace, Wild Shape (if you are not playing a druid), Character Summary and Adventurer's Log pages are all candidates for removal, but that would have to be something that you do. Even with all those pages eliminated, it may not be enough to bring the size below the online excel size limit.

Last edited:

That seems unlikely. If anything, it will get even bigger this winter when the XGE book is released, with a bunch of new sub-classes and other things.

Edit: I just checked out the online version and see that it has a file size limit of 5MB. This tool is already considerably larger than that and cutting enough to bring the size down below 5MB would be a huge task (if it is even possible at all). Certain pages could be eliminated, based on your needs, but you would need a standard version of excel to even try this method. In particular, I think the Custom, DesignSpace, Wild Shape (if you are not playing a druid), Character Summary and Adventurer's Log pages are all candidates for removal, but that would have to be something that you do. Even with all those pages eliminated, it may not be enough to bring the size below the online excel size limit.

Stripping out all the conditional formatting, shapes, images, comments and everything but the Input Sheets, CSI & CSIII gets it to 5.06 MB. Reducing some of the static formatting could get it under the limit but man it is ugly and I probably broke dozens of formulas in the process.

Conandar

Explorer
Use the feedback app in Windows 10 and vote up to have the online version support larger files - I believe it did at one stage. There really should be no limitation, the file size should be 100 Mb limit these days.

It's a marketing thing, a trial version. Give em a stripped down version good enough for basic stuff to whet their appetites, and when they want more, direct them to the paid and full featured version.

Remove ads