D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

smbakeresq

Explorer
Actually, under U.S. intellectual property law, there are requirements that owners defend their trademarks, patents, copyrights, etc. or they can be diluted and potentially the owner can lose the right to later sue or seek protections for those ownership rights even against different parties. This is especially true in the context of trademarks (i.e., brands, logos, etc.) and trade secrets, but can also extend to other areas. It may not be necessary to sue the infringing entity, but frequently legal action does need to be taken to protect those rights.

Correct. Otherwise it could be considered "sleeping on your rights" and therefore act as a waiver.

If WoTC was so inclined, they could put FA on notice (they have with the DMCA) and then just contact him and tell him we are preserving are rights but will not prosecute our rights in this instance for these reasons _____.

If someone at WoTC thinks that cutting of FA will somehow create hundreds of thousands of new subscribers they are just wrong.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Has anyone figured a way to get Kensei weapons working for Monks?

The short sword and all simple melee weapons (not simple ranged weapons) are considered monk weapons. In the case of the Kensei Monk, you can manually select to be proficient in the weapon/s and input the monk damage for whatever weapon you chose.

Attachments

• Weapon changes.jpg
    Weapon changes.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 623

blackprince

First Post
Put it under additional abilities or actions on the start page. I don't think you can just add it into the passive perception itself, as it only applies visually.

Thanks. That's what I did -- I was just hoping that there was an option to have it show up in the Passive Perception block. The vast majority of PP checks are visual, in my experience, so it is a lot more likely I won't forget about the bump if it's more obviously displayed.

James Devenberg

First Post
The short sword and all simple melee weapons (not simple ranged weapons) are considered monk weapons. In the case of the Kensei Monk, you can manually select to be proficient in the weapon/s and input the monk damage for whatever weapon you chose.

You can just add in weapon proficiency on the Start sheet, did you try that ?

Thanks to both of you. I just started using this sheet and did not realize how simple this was to do. Thanks!

James Devenberg

First Post
Another thing about D&D Beyond, the full price you pay for each book costs WoTC nothing, its just a PDF with no production cost. Going rate for PDF versions of anything is always way lower then the print version.

Essentially Beyond is an app with a $200+ price tag, as you need PHB, DMG, Sword Coast, Xanathars and Volos, with future costs coming. That’s a terrible business model to try to introduce.

I know WoTC employees read this thread, and TBH I hope Beyond fails utterly as it is poor for the hobby and growth of the hobby. I suggest you study your community, read this thread. People are dying for FA to integrate new material every time it comes out because they have ALREADY bought the book for full price and want to use the material.

Say what you will about D&D Beyond, but calling it "just a PDF with no production cost" is completely inaccurate. First, it isn't a PDF at all. Second, it has been completely reformatted from the book to a database style that makes more sense as a layout on a computer. Third, it has a *ton* of cross referencing and linking that a PDF lacks. There was a lot of production time put in to converting the books to digital for D&D Beyond. I totally understand why a lot of people do not like it and do not want to pay for it, but at least criticize it for what it is and not something it completely isn't.

Honestly, if a WotC employee does read your criticism of D&D Beyond, your criticism is likely to carry a lot more weight if it is accurate. Criticizing Beyond for being something it isn't is only going to make WotC think "This person doesn't like Beyond because they do not actually understand what it is" instead of thinking "This person doesn't like Beyond because it is a flawed product".

Last edited:

Say what you will about D&D Beyond, but calling it "just a PDF with no production cost" is completely inaccurate. First, it isn't a PDF at all. Second, it has been completely reformatted from the book to a database style that makes more sense as a layout on a computer. Third, it has a *ton* of cross referencing and linking that a PDF lacks. There was a lot of production time put in to converting the books to digital for D&D Beyond. I totally understand why a lot of people do not like it and do not want to pay for it, but at least criticize it for what it is and not something it completely isn't.

Honestly, if a WotC employee does read your criticism of D&D Beyond, your criticism is likely to carry a lot more weight if it is accurate. Criticizing Beyond for being something it isn't is only going to make WotC think "This person doesn't like Beyond because they do not actually understand what it is" instead of thinking "This person doesn't like Beyond because it is a flawed product".
But does that production cost even approach that of the hardcover book?

James Devenberg

First Post
But does that production cost even approach that of the hardcover book?

I honestly have no idea. I do not know how many hours they put into it compared to the number of hours put into the actual book. The only point I was making was that it was more than none, which is the claim the person I replied to had made. That said, D&D Beyond sells their versions for ~half of the MSRP of the physical books. I know you can get the books below MSRP from some sellers (Amazon mainly), but the price of D&D Beyond vs FLGS/MSRP is roughly half.

And, I mean, you're still getting every bit of content that is in the book, so the D&D Beyond version has the production cost of the book (minus printing and shipping) plus the cost associated with creating and serving it as a database.

Personally, I have both physical books and D&D Beyond books, but no duplicates (eg physical PHB and DDB Xanathar) and I think both formats have their pluses and minuses and haven't decided which I prefer. And, again, there *are* legit criticisms of D&D Beyond, but claiming it is a PDF with no production costs (the claim I responded to) just makes the person appear as though they have 0 idea what D&D Beyond actually is.

Not really looking to debate it further as I'm neither for or against D&D Beyond, I just *am* pro-accurate claims and criticisms.

SansMoins

Explorer
The prices for D&D Beyond are INSANE!!! IMO the digital books on D&D Beyond should be at least half price. I agree, the interface for beyond is too awkward. Forge's use of Excel, was excellent. It is easy to use, and you can use it without needing internet access. You can print your character sheet from D&D Beyond, but it is just a pdf version of WotC D&D 5e character sheet. The character sheet that Forge put together gives us more detailed information not along about the character but also abilities, features, spells, and equipment and treasure.

I do hope Forge is able to post his CS again.

I’m not sure what you are talking about. The physical books are $50 each. I can get the books from beyond for $25-30. The are half price.

Remove ads