Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, and Song - available at RPGNow.com

Hmm..

Anyone who has it already can maybe answer a question. It says 4e (GSL), but I thought it wouldn't be possible to call a druid a druid and a monk a monk under the GSL?

I am asking because after buying their "4e" DCC products, which aren't really 4e, I think I am going to stay away from such products. They didn't really impress me with the way they did things.

It is absolutely GSL compatible. We built the classes and powers in the same manner that happens with WotC books.

krocha

First Post
Monk Question

To anyone who had purchased the book (and I recommend it).

Under the Monk Feats it references "Secret Techniques" but so far I haven't found anywhere in the book that explains what these techniques are. Am I missing something?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I spoke explicitly with the guys at Wizards about this and left with the impressions that any material put out before a term is defined in WotC cannot be considered to conflict with that term. It's hazy and I guess it's possible that this could change, but they indicated that we had nothing to worry about creating our own druid before Wizards created their version. . .

Did you get that in writing?;)

Vanuslux

Explorer
I mostly want to know how it stacks up against the APG from an editting perspective...and what the publisher's policy is on incorporating errata into PDFs.

catsclaw227

First Post
I mostly want to know how it stacks up against the APG from an editting perspective...and what the publisher's policy is on incorporating errata into PDFs.
This is interesting to me too, since XRP has stated officially that they won't be updating the PDF,only providing an errata sheet. I want to know what they did to differentiate the powers in lieu of a color coding system (assuming all is in B&W).

davethegame

Explorer
To anyone who had purchased the book (and I recommend it).

Under the Monk Feats it references "Secret Techniques" but so far I haven't found anywhere in the book that explains what these techniques are. Am I missing something?

They're in the magic item section, the last ones.

Shroomy

Adventurer
But maybe a/ they're gambling they'll sell enough copies before the SRD changes to be worthwhile, or b/ WotC won't enforce the retroactive clause, or c/ they have a loophole, or d/ I haven't understood the GSL correctly - which is entirely possible!

-Hyp.

I thought I once read somewhere that the vast majority of 3PP books make the majority of their money within the first month of release, so I think it makes sense to release them now, before March rolls around and GSL/SRD issues come to the fore. I like XRP and GG, but I seriously doubt that the APG or FH will make any kind of serious dent to the PHBII sales because they feature similar classes, and I'm pretty confident that the WoTC versions will come to dominate the larger 4e gamer consciousness, so the time to publish is now. That said, releasing books like the APG and FH will garner their respective publishers even more gamer goodwill and nicely allows them to position themselves among the top tier 4e 3PPs.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The monk is interesting.

After finishing watching 36 Chambers of Shaolin, I was highly in a mood to read about such a class.

One thing that's interesting is that monk has no armor proficency but does have abilities that work with cloth armor. Feat use or errata... Probably feat use.

A lot of the monks abilities/powers, allow him to negate some damage/attack, but puts him at a disadvantage. In some ways I can see how this will work, but in others, I'm wondering how they'll scale up in terms of armor class. I haven't played enough high level 4e to know yet.

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Another difference between FFS and APG, which I'm admittedly surmising only from the druid preview Goodman Games put out and my own full copy of APG, is that while the APG constrains itself to the core three power sources (Martial, Divine, Arcane), FFS took the plunge and reeled in the Primal power source. While I can admire that tactic as a selling point, I personally prefer the APG because it stuck with what we already know.

Remove ads