Forked Thread: Mage-Brute (revisited)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, its not like that- we can arrange the resultant rolls any way we like.

And at this point, I have my stats:

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 17

So, he's actually pretty impressive, physically, for a Sorcerer. His lower than avg. Wis score probably marks him as a bit of a hot-head. And that Cha score is pretty doggone high...actually higher than he'll need- given his need for future multiclassing, he's never going to get 7th level spells. Perhaps I'll swap it with one of the 16s.

szilard

First Post
Hmmm... have you considered Favored Soul? You could be a Favored Soul of a dragon-god to get the draconic flavor, and you'd be far more competent in combat.

-Stuart

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I won't argue the superior combat competence of the Favored Soul- I've seen them in play. However, there are 3 problems.

1) there are no draconic gods in the PHB + Completes, last I checked.

2) Draconic Heritage has Sorc1 as a prereq

3) Draconic Breath only lets you convert arcane spells into breath weapons.

(And like I said, I have a special place in my heart for arcane warriors.)

That said...Favored Soul might make a good second class for the PC. Hmmmmm...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Only two ways you're getting arcane spells in armor in that setup:
1) Spells with no somatic components or stilled spells.
2) Bard.

I'd go for the latter - you've got the stats for a reasonable melee bard.
-blarg

Shin Okada

Explorer
With that restriction, Cleric is better caster/warrior than Favored Soul. Mainly because you can use various divine feats from complete books. And some domains really help, too.

If you still stick to Arcane Caster/Warrior type, I'd go for Paladin2/Sor X or, Fighter 1/Wiz X. And then take Still Spell feat (and probably Practiced Spellcaster).

At lower level, yo will rely on Power Attack + True Strike (no somatic component) combo. Later, you will start to use spells such as Tensor's Transformation when you fight against high AC foes.

As you can use Complete Adventurer, Wraithstrike is good. But it does have somatic component. So it is rather hard for an armored caster to use.

Frankly speaking, I think it will be very hard to make an efficient fighter mage in 3.5e without using some prestige class or Duskblade (PHB II).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Only two ways you're getting arcane spells in armor in that setup:
1) Spells with no somatic components or stilled spells.
2) Bard.

I'd go for the latter - you've got the stats for a reasonable melee bard.
-blarg

Right- I'm primarily using spells without somatic components. Those that do have such components won't be used in combat.

In combat, he's going to be channeling the spell-slots into his breath weapon almost exclusively, blast after blast after blast. AE line, no somatic components, no concentration rolls, no provocation of AoOs, and bypassing spell resistance in exchange for lower damage output (over time) but being able to wear armor? Fair trade, IMHO.

I had forgotten True Strike had no components. Where is Tenser's Transformation? I couldn't find it in the SRD.

Frankly speaking, I think it will be very hard to make an efficient fighter mage in 3.5e without using some prestige class or Duskblade (PHB II).

Oh, I don't think "efficiency" is anywhere on the radar, here. Given the campaign's rules strictures, almost any kind of warrior/mage build that doesn't start with an Elf Wizard equipped with a longsword and longbow or a beefed up bard with the Battle Caster feat is virtually unimaginable.

Its more of an exercise in trying something new and different- a spellcaster who almost never casts spells.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I am not so familiar with SRD spell list. But AFAIK spells with the creator's name (like Tenser or Mordenkeinen) is not in SRD or the name or the creator is removed (XXX's YYY -> YYY).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah, yes! Thanks!

Having looked that one over, its highly probable that it will be added to the guy's list.

I wonder, though, about the language:
You lose your spellcasting ability, including your ability to use spell trigger or spell completion magic items, just as if the spells were no longer on your class list.

Does the spell temporarily eliminate the slots themselves, or just your normal access to them? If so, how do you think it would interact with the Draconic Breath feat (or the similar Infernal Howl or Reserve feats in general)- IOW, would the Transformed PC still be able to channel spell energy that way, or would that also be cut off?

My first blush reading would say that the Breath/Howl/Reserve feats would be unaffected, but then again, all of those came after Transformation.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm

If you want to blast then just go straight sorcerer, and don't give up those levels for anything. Use a mithral chain shirt and a mithral buckler, but don't bother spending feats on them (no ACP to penalize your attacks or skills, and ASF doesn't matter).

Crank Cha every opportunity because it gets you both more slots to burn and higher DCs. Consider getting ability focus (draconic breath) to improve your breath's save DC. Your d4 HD are a little squishy, so also think about improved toughness, false life, and/or a toad familiar.

Unless you're thinking spending a lot of time hitting things in the face with hard objects, maybe switch Str and Int so you can participate in some stuff outside of combat.

Remove ads