• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Wowowowow. So it’s free as far as I can see. Am I being blind or naive? That’s pretty awesome.
The way I understand it (and I have the updated module as of last night) is that all of the SRD content is going to be free. You're going to have to pay for the full PHB classes and spells and all the DMG's magic items, and the non SRD monsters. When you buy a module like they announced, you'll get monsters/magic items/character options from the module. Now I am 100% not official on any of that (let me be clear) but that has been the way it's been for other game systems.

And of course Pathfinder is the exception where all of the core rules are free. But even with Pathfinder you still have to purchase the adventures and APs.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I'm extremely happy with official D&D support for Foundry VTT! Especially when the folks running Foundry VTT are actually doing the official supplements instead of WotC. I bought their two 5E modules and those are very impressive, I also bought a couple of PF2E modules, including Kingmaker, extremely impressive! So I have very high hopes for this D&D 5E campaign, so bought it right away when @SteveC said it was available.

That said, I'm curious for how long the licensing deal is (how many years) or if WotC can pull the plug at any time...

Also keep in mind that WotC is getting licensing fees from this, so earning money where previously there wasn't any before. There won't be any D&DBeyond purchasing integration, so if you own it on D&DBeyond, you'll have to buy it again (and vice versa). That is what makes this deal attractive to WotC, the ability to get money for their product again and someone else doing the work to convert existing material to a new VTT.

Luckily for those that use D&DBeyond, WotC isn't (currently) looking at the existing D&DBeyond integration modules. Especially not the character import modules. But maybe we'll see a crackdown on module '94', if you know what I mean... ;)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That said, I'm curious for how long the licensing deal is (how many years) or if WotC can pull the plug at any time...
Worst case is future versions of Foundry may not be able to support 5E any longer without a license. Though, you can just leave an instance up that has everything you purchased still fully useable.

TheSword

Legend
To be honest. No point me switching until the non-SRD stuff is available. Hopefully by the time Anniversary edition is released they will have caught up. Then I’ll probably look to switch.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
To be honest. No point me switching until the non-SRD stuff is available. Hopefully by the time Anniversary edition is released they will have caught up. Then I’ll probably look to switch.
Oh, you will wish you had sooner, everyone does.
one of us GIF

That's awesome news. Foundry's kit has always been impressive and only gotten better over time. Love the mainstream recognition and legitimacy..

Now if only they had an effective matchmaking platform.

Remove ads

Remove ads