Unearthed Arcana Four New Elf Subraces in Unearthed Arcana

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 00.22.33.png

guachi

Hero
We do. Aasimar, tieflings, yuan-ti are all variations on humans, after all.

Those aren't humans. If they were humans it would say "humans" and not something else.

I repeat my question: Why don't we have different races (and sub-races) of humans like we do with other races (which, I guess, are really different species)?

Yaarel

He Mage
I like Shadar-Kai as a kind of Elf.

But Charisma? WTF?

Make the Shadar-Kai +2 Dexterity, and +1 Constitution given their pain tolerance and so on.

Then use the Constitution (!) as the casting ability for their necromantic magic.

Also, the coolest thing about them in 4e was their ability to ghost *thru* objects, and I would rather see this than a Teleportation.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Sea Elf has little to do with Dexterity.

Sea Elf should be +2 Charisma, +1 Constitution ... and more closely related to the Eladrin Elf with +2 Charisma, +1 Other.

Yaarel

He Mage
Also, the Sea Elf seems way underpowered.

Give the Sea Elf a siren song, water control, or an alternate form to wildshape into a specific sea animal chosen at creation: dolphin, shark, etcetera, maybe even octopus.

Yaarel

He Mage
Those aren't humans. If they were humans it would say "humans" and not something else.

I repeat my question: Why don't we have different races (and sub-races) of humans like we do with other races (which, I guess, are really different species)?

Yeah, in this context, the word ‘race’ means species, but tends to be used for ‘species’ that are humanlike persons.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

WotC isn't likely to touch that third rail with a ten foot pole.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Any reason we get race after race and sub-race after sub-race of elves dwarves and halflings but we only get one race of humans? Why don't we get different races of humans in 5e?

With variant human, I kind of feel like we already do have subraces for humans. All it takes is the DM/Players to create a variant, give them an appropriate feat, skill, and ability adjustments and then you can have your Norsemen or your Halruans.

Mephista

Adventurer
The Elf-connection is probably due to the fact that in their first appearance (3e Fiend Folio), they were FEY.
Huh. Cool. Did not know that.
I'm not sure what DEFCON1 is thinking, but for me the Raven Queen warlock pact seemed connected a bit to Mearls' comments about turning another 4e deity Torog into a powerful fiend, extraplanar entity or warlock patron. Considering that they probably don't intend to do bring Nentir Vale back as a setting they might be thinking about grabbing a few more interesting pieces and bring them back in a "new form."
I always thought the Raven Queen was kind of a rebranded Wee Jas in the first place? At least, that was always my impression.

Some of the elf subraces they forgot: Athasian elves, Valley elves, fire elves, arctic elves, star elves, werewolf elves (lythari) ... Did I miss any?
The Fey'ri
Sure they are. They're all evolved from humans. Their culture is rooted in humanity's.

In terms of mechanics blocks, though? The reason why there's not more types of human beings listed with different stats is because humans are already jack-of-all-trade types. That's their defining feature - kinda good at anything and can take any form. They're a question mark. The moment you get some kind of identity or variation, they stop being a "human" and become a different "race."

Remove ads

Remove ads