Unearthed Arcana Four New Elf Subraces in Unearthed Arcana

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 00.22.33.png

Ketser

First Post
Human Variant from my campaign... I have others. Don't understand why WotC are reluctant to explore the concept.

Because the idea of human subraces is racist for some people... :p

Anyway about "überemo BDSM humans" being turned into elves... isnt it actually an attempt to combine the 3.x and 4e versions, because if i remember correctly, the original shadar-kai were fey native to the shadow plane in one of the 3.0 or 3.5 books. I suspect they are trying to see how the combined idea works for people, with the bit of failiure because no body remembers the older version :p

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of shadar-kai as elves either, but I would like to point out that they weren't originally humans either when they were introduced in 3e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gyor

Legend
Correction it's wood elves we all ready have, Gurguch can be Wild Elves in FR, which are actually different from Wood Elves in FR lore.

The Shadar-kai thing reminds me of several times they have put something they wanted tested into a thematic UA which they probably don't intend on using in that way. Like the "maritime" UA way back when, or the "Raven Queen" warlock patron.

At the risk of a slight thread tangent, what do you mean by this, in terms of the Raven Queen warlock patron? What do you think they were actually testing/looking at?

Yaarel

He Mage
It was 100% inevitable that the many different kinds of Elf within the D&D tradition would eventually become available in 5e too.

From the very beginning, the Elf race should have been HIGHLY customizable, picking and choosing the favorite ability score improvements and the favorite traits.

+2 Any, +1 one other.

Remathilis

Legend
The Elf-connection is probably due to the fact that in their first appearance (3e Fiend Folio), they were FEY.

Fiend Folio said:
The shadar-kai, or shadow fey, are a race of bitter, determined folk whose souls are poisoned by shadow. Grayskinned and dark-eyed, the slender shadar-kai stand slightly taller than average humans, and their soft movements exude grace and uncanny stealth. Shadow follows the shadar-kai wherever they go. Shadows cast by the folds of their clothing seem deeper than those on humanoids, and a shadar-kai can seemingly fade out of sight by simply stepping into any common shadow.

Its 4e that changed them to humans who follow the Raven Queen. This looks like an attempt to reconcile both make making the Elves (Fey) that Follow the Raven Queen.

As someone who used the 3e version far more than the 4e ones, I can't say I'm upset, but I fully expect a backlash by people who met them first in 4e (where they were much more prevalent) to make them a separate race (or human variant).

As for the rest; the Averial and Aquatic elves are practically what I did for both anyway, so I'm good with both. I don't care about the Wild elves (grugach) but they don't seem a problem.

Although, I am a little concerned about the fact we now have High, Wood, Dark, Eladrin (last month's UA), Aquatic, Averial, Grugach, and Shadar-kai. Kind of reminds me of 2e's elf-problem...

Ketser

First Post
At the risk of a slight thread tangent, what do you mean by this, in terms of the Raven Queen warlock patron? What do you think they were actually testing/looking at?

I'm not sure what DEFCON1 is thinking, but for me the Raven Queen warlock pact seemed connected a bit to Mearls' comments about turning another 4e deity Torog into a powerful fiend, extraplanar entity or warlock patron. Considering that they probably don't intend to do bring Nentir Vale back as a setting they might be thinking about grabbing a few more interesting pieces and bring them back in a "new form."

pukunui

Legend
Some of the elf subraces they forgot: Athasian elves, Valley elves, fire elves, arctic elves, star elves, werewolf elves (lythari) ... Did I miss any?

Remathilis

Legend
Because the idea of human subraces is racist for some people... :p

Anyway about "überemo BDSM humans" being turned into elves... isnt it actually an attempt to combine the 3.x and 4e versions, because if i remember correctly, the original shadar-kai were fey native to the shadow plane in one of the 3.0 or 3.5 books. I suspect they are trying to see how the combined idea works for people, with the bit of failiure because no body remembers the older version :p

*I* Remembered!

Remove ads

Remove ads