[FR]The Return of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach (updated 8/20!)

My favorite Hero is....

• Benito

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Aris

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Grim

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ellysidell

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ivan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosr

Votes: 3 17.6%

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Re: level update

Donalbain said:
hey broc, can we have a level update of the (main) chars?

I can give you some...

Benito Moltos
lawful good cleric of Ilmater: cleric 8/divine disciple 5/ contemplatative 3

Aris Cloud-dancer
lawful good (neutral) ranger 5/fighter 5/ monk 5 of Miliekki,
Follower of the Verdant Hand

Grim
chaotic good (neutral) ranger 1/barbarian 1/rogue 10/ shadowdancer 3 worships Tymora, Harper affiliation

Ivan
lawful good fighter 6/weapon master 9 worships Ilmater, former Lionar of Cormyr

Ellysidell
chaotic good barbarian 5/ fighter 9 Chosen of Fenmaril Mestarine

These last two are speculation...

Kyros
lawful neutral psychic warrior 8/fighter 5/slayer 1 worships Tymora

Nosr
neutral good sorcerer 13 worships ???

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post
lol, i liked the update... though I didnt realize how self rightoues Benito could come across till I read him in this last post, heheh, I gotta work on that whole humility thing for him, lol.

Though in my defense he doesnt look down on other people, he is just an extremely dedicated cleric :p

Well looking forward to the next update Broc :)

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
The High Forest, 4 days later , 1378, Year of the Cauldron

Benito helped Aris to the top of the hill and they surveyed the damage, and their handywork. Already, treants were edging to the outer rings of the Stone Stand to topple fetishes dedicated to Malar and replace them with shrubs and small trees.

"Benito, I have to sit down. The pain is increasing."

Aris leaned against the statue of Ilmater that Benito had raised over what had formerly been a pit that had led to a cavern where a half-dozen Beasts of Malar had dwelled. He had reduced the stunted and twisted tree (a sacrificed treant his allies had told him) that had once rested in the hole, freeing the trapped spirits and consecrating the whole ring. Stone Stand had been purified and Turlang was pleased. He would now allow one of his servants to guide them through the High Forest to the Citadel of the Mists, or at least to edge of the Mistmaster's domain.

The fight had not been easy, but as soon as a quartet of ogre druids had informed Benito of the perversion that existed at Stone Stand, he had marched harder and with a purpose. At the ring of stones and cairns dedicated to several Uthgardt barbarian tribes, servants of Malar had increased their hold. The heroes had arrived at a good time, but the battle had not been without difficulty. Two guardian spirits had attacked. One had possessed Grim who had almost slain Nosr. When Benito had blinded "Grim" the spirit had jumped to Kyros whom Benito had to stun before the ghost had used the psychic warrior to wreck more havoc among the party. Then the ghost had tried to take over Ellysidell. The Chosen seemed to shrug off the attempt and sent the spirit to a final death.

Meanwhile, during that chaos, Aris and Ivan had to contend with the majority of the Beast of Malar that had come pouring forth from the hole in the ground. They had held their own, slaying four of the beasts. The cleric and Ellysidell had finished the other two and Aris had cried out "Victory!"

Benito looked with concern at his companion. Aris, becoming more pale by the hour, was deteriorating the closer he approached Hellgate Keep. Ivan had not helped by bringing up the name of the ruin the previous day. Nosr had also been affected, and nearly being killed helped him to decide to return to Silverymoon. He had already teleported back. Kyros, on whom the Mistmaster had also placed a geas, was still unaffected by this lastest relapse of the retrictive dweomer, but Benito knew that it was only a matter of time before he succumbed as well.

"Aris, we must continue onward towards the Citadel. I will ask the Mistmaster to remove this curse. He will see that we are on a divine quest and will have to acquiese. He cannot turn us aside from the will of the gods."

"A man of the Mistmaster's power knows that the gods aren't infallible. He may have his own agenda."

Aris continued to grimace. The pain would not go away. Benito furrowed his brow, upset by the blasphemy of his friend but also sympathetic to his plight. Aris did not like being helpless and in a situation beyond his control. Benito, dedicated as he was to Ilmater, had long ago surrendered his will. Fortunately, Ilmater was merciful and just and had never asked Benito to give away his freedom. The cleric shuddered and muttered a prayer expressing his pity for the shamans who had been forced to give their life and unlife to the cruel Malar. Hopefully, he had eased their torment. Leaving Aris on the hill, Benito walked down to help the treants and Ellysidell plant a garden.

Kyros and Ivan joined Aris as he rested, breath ragged despite Benito's ministrations.

"Kyros, Ivan. I fear that I will not be able to continue until the Mistmaster is inclined to remove this geas. Please protect Benito on the journey. Help him to keep his emotions in check. Keep Grim out of trouble."

Kyros made as if to protest, but Aris held up his hand, "No Kyros, I will be fine. I do not think that anything could be past Turlang or his druids."

Aris forced a smile. It was good to be adventuring again! Tonight, despite the pain, he would sleep on the rough ground and look up at the stars with his boon companions who had spilled blood with him this day around him. Somehow, probably from sheer exhaustion from the constant pain, Aris fell asleep.

The next day Aris could not even move and Kyros began to feel the nagging pain that would worsen over the next two days until he also was bedridden. Ellysidell decided to stay with Aris while the other four companions continued south behind the mighty treant that led them towards the Mistmaster's domain.

"BEYOND THOSE TREES LIES THE REALM OF THE MISTMASTER. I GO NO FURTHER, BUT WILL AWAIT YOUR RETURN."

Grim led the way with Benito not far behind. Kyros and Ivan brought up the rear but travelled side-by-side. There were no trees beyond where the treant had told them, just spongy earth and thick, rolling mists. They walked for a long time barely able to see each other and nothing more than 10 paces away. Eventually they saw a line of shadows ahead.

"YOU HAVE RETURNED ALREADY?"

Benito growled in frustration. They had walked in a huge circle and returned to where they had started. He looked at Grim, their guide, who shrugged and looked a little dazed. In fact, looking at Ivan and Kyros confirmed the cleric's initial thought. Kyros was fine, but Ivan had a blank look upon his face. There was some sort of repulsion or confusion magicks going on in the sea of mist.

"I'm not giving up!" Benito yelled into the fog, his voice carrying.

It was then that he struck upon an idea...

"How loud can you bellow?" he asked of the treant.

And shortly, they were trekking back into the thick and damp fog with the sound of the "foghorn" echoing behind them, letting them know that they were moving forward and not in circles. Benito had decided to let Kyros lead and seemingly they were making good progress. However, the air was turning slowly colder.

Benito, I have a bad feeling about this sent Grim emphasizing his mental message with a shiver.

Shadows had lengthened and occasionally the heroes heard sounds and saw lights somewhere in the fog.

"Hold!" cried Kyros. "I saw something moving up ahead."

The heroes drew weapons and remained still, but there was only silence. Kyros gave an "all clear" sign as he scanned the fog for any sign. He moved forward.

Then he saw It come from out of the fog. He was paralyzed with fear and It approached him. Shadowy, insubstantial tentacles writhed from It's head as it closed. He screamed as It wrapped those slimy appendages around his head. He heard the sick CRUNCH of his skull being ripped open and the sucking sound as the shadow illithid consumed his brain....

As soon as Kyros had moved forward, Grim had shouted and alarm from behind.

Ivan cried out, "Shadows, Benito!"

The cleric spun around and saw multiple shadows floating through the mists towards them. Without hesitaiton he grasped Mano de la Justicia and called upon the holy power of Ilmater. The shadows blew into the nothing that they had once been.

They heard Kyros scream from in front of them and rushed forward only to find him convulsing on the ground. Then he lay still.

"Be wary friends. There is death here in this fog," warned Ivan as he turned his back to Grim, Benito and Kyros's body to look for any more enemies. Grim watched in the other direction wishing Ellysidell and the warm fire of his falchion were around. It was really, really cold.

Benito crouched and felt for a pulse. Kyros was dead!

He stood up and shook his fist in the air,

"Mistmaster! We came here in good faith and now you have killed one of my friends! However long it takes to find you, Mistmaster, know that I will. And when I do, I will kill you!"

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
I'm still around! However, I haven't had the time to write...creatively

Grant due at the end of the month, MCAT's just finished, MedSchool Apps on the horizon....

But, I'll try and update when I get a creative moment.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Actually, I have had time to write....This game is on hiatus, but I still have like 3 sessions to catch up!

But my creativity has been going elsewhere---> to Champions!

However, I may jump back here soon. I wonder'll if there will still be any readers left?:(

Broccli_Head

Explorer
The High Forest, Late Summer, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

As Benito finished his tirade, the wind picked up and the fog swirled but did not blow away. From the direction they were heading they heard the earth churning and coming closer. The wind and fog swirled even more and suddenly the remaining companions were lifted from their feet and buffeted by supernatural winds.

"Air elementals!" shouted Benito futilely over the tearing and rending winds.

Suddenly, he was airborne and moving faster. The elemetal stopped hurting him and was merely carrying him through and then above the fog. He was still made dizzy and could not concentrate enough for a spell, but at least he was not longer being ripped apart. He prayed to Ilmater to spare the suffering of his companions. Ahead, through the waves of nausea, he saw an alien citadel with smooth, curving walls and apparently no doors at any level. In the center of the fortress, stood a tower, rounded and oval shaped, much like an egg. Towards this he was rushed. He closed his eyes ready to be smashed against the flying buttresses of those smooth, gibbous walls, but all he felt was a sudden chill and then he stopped moving.

Benito opened his eyes and floated in a vast hall. The top and bottom were lost in darkness, yet a warm glow emanated from the cyclopean walls. More openings than he could count led from this grand "hall", but all this scenery was brushed aside by the tall, white-haired and pale man that floated towards him with two djinn in attendance.

"You requested and audience, and now I am here. Do you still wish to kill me?"

Benito, for one of the few times in his life, was left speechless.

Ivan sputtered as he lifted his face from the mud and reached all fours. He still had at least one of his scimitars and waved it in the air at the retreating air elementals.

"That's right, you stinkin' bags of wind. Run or fly or do whatever you do because next time I will give you no opportunity to surrender."

He rolled over and looked at the dimished but still cloying fog. Then, taking a deep breath he rose to his feet and looked around for his companions. He heard a low moan and cautiously advanced.

Grim was sitting next to Kyros who was coughing up flem and moaning.

He lives. Grim smiled.

The halfling was also battered and bruised and was missing a tooth.

"Benito?"

Grim pointed towards the fog and sky. One of the elementals took him away.

"I could use some firewine to wash all this filth out!"

Grim helped Kyros to a sitting position.

"I guess the attacks were just figments of our imagination?"

Grim rose and began walking.

"Halfling, were are you going?"

To find my best friend.

"Well hold on there. He's our friend, too."

Ivan helped Kyros to his feet, and recovered his other scimitar.

"So, Kyros, what happened?"

Kyros gave him a smoldering gaze.

"I do not want to talk about it."

Ivan shrugged his shoulders and fell in behind the Mithral Knight. Grim had already disappeared, but every now and then would call back to the other two steering them unerringly in the same direction. The fog seemed to clear as they continued forward...

Benito had finally found his voice, and was about to speak when the Mistmaster answered his first question.

"Your companions are fine. Your friend Kyros is not dead. He was merely stunned by his own inner fears."

A fluted crystal floated towards the cleric of Ilmater and he saw the shadowy outline of Grim followed by Kyros and then Ivan.

"How do I know this isn't another trick?"

"You do not. But suffices to say that I could have destroyed you and your friends already. I have not."

"Then why all the illusions?"

"I had to test your resolve. I do not like to be bothered by trivial matters."

"The Gatekeeper's Crystal and our quest is no small matter."

"You are correct. Power of such a world-changing magnitude is not. But such power should not be in the hands of the small-minded. It is best kept out of your hands."

"So you won't help us? Remove the geas curse from my friends? Allow us to go to the ruins of Hellgate Keep?"

"No. The artifact is best left buried in the rubble and flung to the planes. It is too powerful for mere mortals."

"But things are stirring beneath the ruins."

"That is no concern of mine. Unless my enemies try and attack my gates, I will not interfere in the affairs of my neighbors, and you can see how futile an attempt it would be to attack me in my own domain."

"But the gods demand...," Benito buried his face in his hands.

"I would much rather be at home with my wife and child, but Ilmater has told me that the time is now. It is too much, Mistmaster, for one man to bear. Please take this burden from me then if you will not help."

Something moved in the apathetic heart of the Mistmaster, as it had moved by the pleas of the Harpers who had emplored him to helpt to stop the denezins of Hellgate Keep years before.

"Which gods?"

Through tears Benito explained the task of Ilmater and how the Beastlord and the Spider Queen had inclinations to find or to have their minions find, the Gatekeeper's Crystal and use it for their own evil plans.

"My companions aid me only because of their loyalty to me. They are not driven by a higher power."

The Mistmaster appeared pensive and rubbed his chin.

"Give me time, Benito Moltos. I will consult my god, Deneir. If he believes the cause is worthy, you will have your help. In the meantime, go and see your family."

The Mistmaster pointed towards a portal that led to a shadowed passageway. Then he disappeared.

Benito looked at the two djinn who merely hovered impassively holding great scimitars. He looked towards the hall where the Mistmaster had pointed and floated in that direction. At the end of the hall, he came to another crystal scrying device and peered through. There he saw Johanna and Samantha alive and well an laughing. And his tears of frustration became tears of joy

Broccli_Head

Explorer
no way!

The Ruins of Hellgate Keep, Late Summer, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

It was a horrible, horrible place.

Benito looked out across the blasted plain that the fortress of Ascalhorn once surveyed. Piles of debris, looking like giant-sized cairns, were scattered from here to the the edge of Turlang's Wood. Only now, nearly a decade since the destruction of Hellgate Keep was the land surrounding it beginning to recover, and that was just with the continued presence and horticulture of Turlang and his treants. The Mistmaster had been correct. Such an artifact as the Gatekeeper's Crystal was not meant for mortal hands. Behind him lay ridiculously deep pit where once had stood a mighty keep. Only three small pathces of earth remained on the top of the butte where it had stood. The Companions of the Quest had climbed to the southermost of these patches and found a set of aboveground ruins. Benito was surprised that anything had remained standing. Already Grim was scouting ahead, wary for any surprises.

The destruction of Hellgate Keep was more than physical. They all felt the tear in the Weave itself as areas of dead magic and wild magic lined the pit and lay within. Benito could not even look down. It had given him an un-natural feeling of vertigo. Even the Mistmaster's Djinn servant, Hassan, avoided the edge, and because of him, they had discovered that magical flight was impossible. Only Ivan, having no natural magical abilities was unaffected by the icky feeling of the cracks in the Weave.

"Hey guys, come and check out the view! It's amazing," called out the Rashemani swordmaster.

Ivan was amazing, mused Benito. He was still in good spirts despite the accidental spill he had had from Grim's new magic carpet. Benito shook his head. They were still rusty from the years apart, and it was taking time to relearn how to read each other's actions. The cleric of Ilmater had thought Grim's howling was of pain, not delight, and had yanked him from the 'grasp' of the carpet. Since he was the driver, the carpet had fallen out of control with Ivan still on board. The warrior had crashed into a grove of trees and had needed much healing.

Benito examined his actions deeper. Perhaps it had been a lack of trust of the gift that the Mistmaster had given his halfling friend. The wizard-cleric of Denier had been very generous, giving all of them useful magicks. How could Benito not trust him?

Help me, Ilmater, to see the good in people...

The Mistmaster had removed the geases placed on Kyros, Aris, and Nosr, free of charge. Then he had opened a worldwalk gate to put the party right by their destiniation. He had asked Benito to bring back the shard of the Gatekeeper's Crystal that lay in the ruin, but without compulsion. The cleric certainly had a healthy fear of the Mistmaster and would definitely not run away with such a destructive artifact, but in his past experience, wizards and even the Mistmaster himself, had been heavy-handed.

Aris gave the all clear sign passed from Grim, and Kyros called to Ivan and Benito.

Grim had found a way down into the depths and his superior training, although sometimes slow, allowed him to pick his way flawlessly, disarming traps and shoring up unstable construction. In the underlevel of this building, the shadowdancer had even been rewarded for his thoroughness. He had found an ancient elven shield with a powerful offensive spell.

The stairs were particularly dangerous. The party carefully descended, clear of the intended path thanks to a a powerful spell that Benito had cast. It led them straight down, bypassing several sublevels that were beneath the tor. At the bottom, however, Benito had said the the path had become jumbled and then ended. Without incident, they reached the end of the stairs and the very bottom of Hellgate Keep. The companions had a strong feeling of dread even though the ruin seemed nearly abandonded. Faint noises had been heard here and there, but the whole place, save for that sense of foreboding, appeared deserted.

How many victims had been tortured in these halls? How many poor souls had been unwillingly bred with the foul creatures from the Abyss? For countless centuries, demons had ruled from these underhalls, raping and pillaging the surrounding lands. The mythal surrounding the ghoul-hold had prevented more from entering, but that did not prevent the denizens from capturing orcs, humans, and anyone else for their "nurseries". They had even perverted a tribe of the Uthgardt barbarians to the point that they had become cannibals. Ironically, it was their attack on the Mistmaster that had finally brought about the keep's annihilation. With the Gatekeeper's Crystal, the Mistmaster and two Harpers that had infiltrated the keep destroyed the mythal, creating such an intense magical feedback, that it had levelled the mighty fortress, and much of the butte on which it had stood. The Harpers had sacrificed their lives for the cause.

Aris wondered if his fellow companions would do the same. He knew that he would lay down his life for his friends, and perhaps that was all that mattered.

They would have wandered the halls aimelssly had not Kyros been a student of geometry and had photgraphic memory. He deduced that the shard of the crystal must lie at the bottom point of the pyramidal-shaped crater. With some further calculations, he felt that the center of level they were on would be their goal. Benito solved the problem by summoning a squad of thoquaa to burn holes in direct path to the center. Strangely, they were hard to control, somehow warped by the evils and strange magicks of this place, but Benito willed them to get the job done and soon there was a nice hole that Grim was able to walk through--the rest would have to crawl--and the tunnel led into a very large room.

You were right Kyros! he sent back and continued into the tunnel.

Suddenly, Grim felt pain as a cloud of noxious gas filled the tunnel. Then as he tried to move back to his friends he ran into a wall of ice

It's a trap! he yelled telepathically.

He heard a muffled cry from the other side of the ice wall. Aris, Ellysidell, Kyros and Ivan had been watching the long hall in either direction, as Benito and Grim had been working the tunnel. Aris had really not liked the idea, but it was a better alternative to exploring the maze of a dungeon. He heard the pouding of heavy, booted feet echoing down the halls coming from both directions.

"A little faster please. We've got company!" cried the genasi.

Benito called back, "Grim is cut off!"

He sent back to Grim, My friend, I think we will soon have our own problems.

Aris recognized the enemy.

"Tannarruuk!" he screamed and drew his bow.

A score or more of demon-blooded orcs closed on them, cutting off any escape.

Grim was disheartened and still coughing from the killing vapors, but he had to get out. Things were getting bad, hopefully they wouldn't get worse. He peered out the far end of the tunnel through the haze of gas. He almost fainted in horror. Before him, waiting for the arrival of the party was a huge bat-winged, fire-enshrouded demon with a flaming sword and a whip. Terror and panic seized the poor halfling and he ran headlong back into the frozen wall.

It was worse.

Last edited:

Remove ads