• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free hand requirements for swim or climb

dangerous jack

First Post
Since there is the precedent of requiring at least one hand free in the Grab RAW, I was surprised not to see it in the rules for Swim or Climb. Does anyone know if it is written or implied anywhere that you need at least one (or both) hands free to swim or climb?

Mengu

First Post
Common sense intervenes. You obviously can't climb a rope or scale a wall, with sword in one hand heavy shield in the other, holding a torch in your mouth, and the damsel over your shoulder.

The rules don't have to say it. You will usually need both hands to climb. However, to just hang on, one hand would be sufficient. If you have a rope or something you can wrap your legs around, you may even be able to use both hands, to maybe fire a bow. I'll let the players get creative (with probably some associated penalties). And you can always choose to climb down "fast".

Aulirophile

First Post
Light shield says you can climb while wearing it, heavy shield says you can't use that hand to climb.

I add 5 to the DC check to climb one-handed assuming both legs are OK.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads