D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

RotGrub

First Post
I think it's great that firearms and alien guns are in the DMG. I have a few old dungeon magazine adventures I can now use.

I'm thinking folks who like spelljammer and other fantastic settings will be very happy.

Here's a link to Mike Mearls's column on Battlesystem:
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140428

In the column, he describes Battlesystem as "[a]n optional part of the core system of D&D Next." A lot of us assumed that that would mean that it would be in the DMG, rather than in a subsequent (less core) release. Of course, it's possible that it is, tucked under combat options or something, or that it was intended to be but got cut (for space, because it needed more development, or for some other reason) between April and now.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I dont expect all the advertised modularity to be in the DMG. There will likely be an Unearthed Arcana or Combat Options book later.

30 pages on world building
25 pages on the planes
55 pages on making adventures/NPCs
95 pages of magic items
25 pages on running the game
25 pages of optional rules
10 pages of random dungeon design

For a game built on "making the game your own" and "playing how you want", 25 pages seems pretty tiny. Like super tiny. I hope there's more customization content spread out over the rest of the book.

And with 150 pages dedicated to running the game, making adventures, and magic items in the DMG, you think they could devote more than 5 pages to that subject in the Basic rules.

trystero

Explorer
...with 150 pages dedicated to running the game, making adventures, and magic items in the DMG, you think they could devote more than 5 pages to that subject in the Basic rules.

The Dungeon Master's Basic Rules is supposed to be updated after the DMG is out: the current draft makes it pretty clear that those sections are skeletal because they were still being worked on when the PDF came out.

trystero

Explorer
Amazon has the page count at 320. Unless there's a 15 page index, I'd say the book has gotten bigger And that that ToC is inaccurate. Even the firearms rules we can see here are in page 266 [sic], which the ToC claims is "Creating a Monster".

And the preview entries for the Eye and Hand of Vecna are on pp. 224–5, which is the beginning of the "Alternative Rewards" section in the ToC listing, rather than in the "Artifacts" section.

Remove ads