Game night cancelled

Jack7

First Post
Is it really pathetic for a grown man to mope and pout because he won't be able to get his regular game fix this week?

It depends to me BG on what function(s) the game serves to you. Yes, we used to play a lot when I was a kid, I'm lucky to play once a month now, depending on circumstances. And then there are times of the year, due to work or me being on assignment or out of town I cannot play, or more specifically, DM at all.

But our games were also a chance to socialize and talk about a wide variety of subjects, science, religion, politics, the military, work, cases, culture, what we are doing and studying and reading, philosphy, gaming, etc. Our games served as a backdrop for a lot of different kinds of things and enjoyments. And we could relax and just hang out without worrying about what we were gonna do about this or that real world problem.

So if your games serve functions which you enjoy and find useful, I don't know about pouting or getting depressed or stuff like that, but I can certainly understand the disappointment of cancellations.

On the other hand more important things to me come first, but if I've got the time and opportunity, then I enjoy the time I spend playing with my players, my old buddies and friends (when they can join us), and my kids (who I created a lot of Terra Ghantik, my current setting, specifically for).

It's an awesome hobby and a powerful imaginative outlet. Not getting that fix means not getting something genuinely good. Heck, it's vastly better to feel bad about not getting a hit of D&D than not getting a hit of heroine, right?

I'm with ya there.

The proper response to disappointment for a grown man is whiskey.

I thought that was the proper response to being undercover for over three months.

Jack99

Adventurer
Is it really pathetic for a grown man to mope and pout because he won't be able to get his regular game fix this week?

Bullgrit

Nope. Even though I only have to cancel our games a couple of times each year, I still mope and pout every time it happens. Except last time, that was because my wife chose my gaming night to give birth to our son. So typical of her ;)

Stalker0

Legend
My group just got to the age where its really started to hit us.

We game once every two weeks...if we are lucky. More and more often real life forces a cancellation and then its once a month.

I remember thinking having to go 2 weeks was bad when our weekly game had a cancellation!

weem

First Post
Well, I'm involved in multiple campaigns (including the one I run).

We go WED and SAT one week, FRI and SAT the next, and repeat.

So, 2 games a week with an occasional 3rd game a week here or there.

It is rare for any of those to be canceled and we are all late 20's - mid 30's (some with kids etc). We all do the same kind of work (web development) and live very close to each other (there are about 10 of us total). I guess the point is, when a game is canceled, it's no biggie - but I feel your pain as it is still a little disappointing and I can imagine if you had one it would be a bummer to know you now have to wait a week (etc).

Is it pathetic? Na. Your source of entertainment is your own, and you are allowed to look forward to it as much as you wish and equally allowed to mope when disappointment hits due to a cancellation ;)

That's my take anyway :p

EricNoah

Adventurer
Can I let you in on a secret? There are times when someone suddenly can't make it, and I cancel the game ... and I'm just relieved. That's probably not a good sign! :eek:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Nope. Even though I only have to cancel our games a couple of times each year, I still mope and pout every time it happens. Except last time, that was because my wife chose my gaming night to give birth to our son. So typical of her ;)
Congratulations! First kid?

Can I let you in on a secret? There are times when someone suddenly can't make it, and I cancel the game ... and I'm just relieved. That's probably not a good sign! :eek:
It's a sign of DM fatigue. I recommend a night of Paranoia.

fba827

Adventurer

For me, it would depend on how frequently I get to play.
When I'm only gaming once or twice a month, yeah, I get mopey
But if I'm gaming once a week (or more) then, it doesn't bug me if I miss a session here or there.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I was really sick last and unable to attend my weekly Sunday game. I begged them to play without me rather than cancel (which is what we usually do when someone can't make it.)

Monday at work I consoled myself by reading the session notes (helpfully posted by our resident game archivist) a dozen times. I got a little emotional imagining all the fun I missed.

I can't *wait* for the next game!

ps. "Wormwood spent the battle hung over in the cargo hold of the Githyanki skyship" indeed!

Remove ads