Game night cancelled

scourger

Explorer
Yeah, it's a bummer when game night gets cancelled. My group is not where I would like them to be on several fronts right now anyway, though; so it's a little easier to take when a game is cancelled or when I can't attend--both of which happened to me in 2 of the past the past 3 weeks. Now, I can't be there next week; and the following 2 weeks aren't looking too good either. It would have really bothered me in the past when I was more into the game. In fact, one adventure was pretty-well ruined for me once I missed a session. It's just hard to catch up and feel engaged again. Now, I just chalk it up and show up when I can and have what fun I can.

Agamon

Adventurer
Can I let you in on a secret? There are times when someone suddenly can't make it, and I cancel the game ... and I'm just relieved. That's probably not a good sign! :eek:

I used to have this feeling a couple years ago. The end of our Age of Worms game was more like work (actually, work was often more fun). The players wanted to see it to it's end. I finally decided to finish the last 1.5 adventures in a 10 hour session. That was a relief.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Our group gets together every Friday night. All of us have been gaming together for over 2 years now (some longer, some shorter) and the group is pretty big (8 people plus me, the DM).
We run sessions even if 1 or 2 people go missing or have other obligations, but every now and again a certain bug goes arround the group. I'll call it the "I don't wanna play" bug.

Monday, we'll get a broad email: "I've got somthing to do this weekend I can't make it"
Tuesday, someone else will send a broad email "I'm sick"
Wednsday, 2 more people "Seeing as how X is gone, and Y is sick, I'm doing somthing else"

Before the end of the week, it'll be down to myself and one other person wanting to play, but unable to because 5-7 people cancelled.

That gets me depressed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Can I let you in on a secret? There are times when someone suddenly can't make it, and I cancel the game ... and I'm just relieved. That's probably not a good sign! :eek:

As someone else said- that's fatigue. Been there, done that.

Let someone else run a campaign for a while, then alternate sessions. Or try poker or wargames or boardgames. You'll come back to your sessions quite refreshed.

vagabundo

Adventurer

It could be a sign of burn out. I got this toward the end of my 3e days - 2007-2008.

Might be worth having a good think about what you enjoy, what your not enjoying and then shaking things up..

jcayer

Explorer
My group has been playing every other Wednesday for a year(this past wednesday was the anniversary!). I can't say we've canceled, but we have rescheduled/shifted to another non-play wednesday.

It is an interesting phenomenon. Monday on game week, the emails start up, I work with a couple of the people and they stop by the chat about it. By Wednesday morning, they're back, even more excited.

It is a group of 6(25-40 year olds) and we will usually play if one person can't make it. We have one guy who travels sometimes and we have video conferenced him in on numerous occasions. We have one guy who is an accountant. I think he missed 3 or 4 straight sessions during tax season.

A couple sessions ago, we had 2 who couldn't make it and rescheduling didn't work, so we did something different. One of the other guys ran a dungeon delve and the rest of us whipped up different characters. It was a blast. I hadn't gotten to be a character yet, so I enjoyed that immensely and everyone else enjoyed playing a different role. We're actually considering adding this in once a quarter, just to mix things up and play with some different, new toys(I mean races/classes).

I will say, on the weeks when we shift, so we get 3 weeks off and then play 2 in a row, that third week is MURDER. But the twice in two weeks rocks!

kibbitz

First Post
Well, do you have to mope and pout? I mean, yes, I can understand the disappointment, but you ARE a grown man... :p

Then again, this is coming from a guy who has reduced all social activities to occasional outings with friends or simple interaction via forums or IRC. Most of my hobbies are kept at a personal level since I don't see stuff like gaming happening due to scheduling or issues maintaining interest levels. So... yea, it's close to impossible for me to be in a situation similar to yours at all :(

maddman75

First Post
Do what I do - join three weekly games. That way you're guaranteed at least one game a week.

In the high school days the big challenge was finding a good place to play. We were never keen on having parents overhear us pretending to be elves. Now we've all got houses so location isn't a problem - its getting 4-8 adults all available at the same time. :)

Akaiku

First Post
Do what I do - join three weekly games. That way you're guaranteed at least one game a week.

In the high school days the big challenge was finding a good place to play. We were never keen on having parents overhear us pretending to be elves. Now we've all got houses so location isn't a problem - its getting 4-8 adults all available at the same time. :)

Totally that for me. Though, then you run into your non-gaming roommate hearing you pretend to be elfs and the compulsory "You know, you are pretending to be elfs."

Remove ads