• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Stores in Silver Spring, MD?

Aristotle

First Post
I... would probably just keep going to the game parlor so long as you can get there in less than an hour. A good game store, that you have an established relationship with, is worth 45 minutes in the car (I use the Game Parlor in Chantilly, btw) in my opinion. Of course, getting the location of some local backup stores is probably prudent for when you don't have the time or need a book on the quick.

Oh, and I don't work on the hill either. I do work for a company that builds ruggedized computers and related equipment meant to be used in tactical environments. I get to play with all the expensive toys. :)

CompuWyrm

First Post
As an employee of The Compleat Strategist in Falls Church, I want to say something in defense of the store.

I don't doubt the story Queen Dopplepopolis tells. The store has had it's problems in the past. In the last year-and-a-half or so, a lot has changed.

The employee to whom I'm fairly sure she refers is no longer with the store.

There is no garbage behind the counter, or anywhere else but the garbage can,

The store has been repainted. The sagging bookshelves have had the shelves replaced with stronger ones and have been repainted.

The store has been extensively reorganized to open up more gaming space and simultaneously provide more shelf space. We coverted what used to be storage into retail space. Product is better grouped and organized.

We on the staff like to think we are friendly and helpful.

In short, the store is a very different place then it was in times past. Queen Dopplepopolis, if you never return to the store then I'm sorry we've lost you. I would encourage you, and anyone who's staying away due to such experiences, to give us another try.

gizmo33

First Post
I've been keeping an eye on this thread - I live in N Baltimore the only dedicated game stores I know of are Games and Comics and Stuff and the one in Gaithersburg that I've been to once but I recall it had a pretty large selection of d20 stuff. GC&S is one of those cool gamer-run shops, it hosts events and would definitely be a place to hang out if it were closer to me. There used to be a shop in Towson with a lot of d20 stuff and some anime, but I haven't been there in a few years.

You can throw a rock in a random direction and hit a friggin Games Workshop - there are ones in Bel Air, Whitemarsh, Arundel Mills. There are so many that I figure somewhere there has to be a whole town of people fighting miniature battles but so far I haven't found it.

The_Universe

First Post
CompuWyrm said:
As an employee of The Compleat Strategist in Falls Church, I want to say something in defense of the store.

I don't doubt the story Queen Dopplepopolis tells. The store has had it's problems in the past. In the last year-and-a-half or so, a lot has changed.

The employee to whom I'm fairly sure she refers is no longer with the store.

There is no garbage behind the counter, or anywhere else but the garbage can,

The store has been repainted. The sagging bookshelves have had the shelves replaced with stronger ones and have been repainted.

The store has been extensively reorganized to open up more gaming space and simultaneously provide more shelf space. We coverted what used to be storage into retail space. Product is better grouped and organized.

We on the staff like to think we are friendly and helpful.

In short, the store is a very different place then it was in times past. Queen Dopplepopolis, if you never return to the store then I'm sorry we've lost you. I would encourage you, and anyone who's staying away due to such experiences, to give us another try.
The store desperately needed someone like you, then! We'll give you another shot the next time we're in the area.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I'm a big fan of Dream Wizards. Yes, there are lots of CCGs and minis, but they have all the RPG stuff I want.

CompuWyrm said:

...so, is the bathroom clean?

One time I was there, and, due to unforeseen circumstances, had to go Right Then. The staff member on duty that Sunday was nice enough to let me use the bathroom. He also apologized when I came out, without my having said a word.

I do go there occasionally still, when one of my gaming buddies and I drive by there and have lunch. I haven't noticed it being very different, though, as there is still a mildewy smell, but I never really saw it in the condition that the Queen did.

Cutter XXIII said:
Hey, don't forget Other Realms in Gaithersburg!

It's owned by a former owner of Dream Wizards. It's a bit of a hike to get out there, but they have retained their emphasis on RPGs while Dream Wizards (as people have mentioned) has a lot of CCGs, toys, manga, and other junk.

Other Realms has a HUGE selection of books, and much of it is OOP.

...really? I've never heard of them. Huh, I'll have to check them out. Pity they're not near the Metro; I'll have to convince my Friday night crew that we want to go by there. Then again, it's my birthday, so it shouldn't be hard. :)

Brad

CompuWyrm said:

*smiles* Next time we're around - we'll stop by!! :D

CompuWyrm said:
In short, the store is a very different place then it was in times past.

That's good to hear. In ages past, when I was a kid with a local gaming store that carried all RPGs so long as they were D&D and all boardgames so long as they were AH, my friends and I mail ordered stuff from CS often. Years later, when I moved up here, I was delighted to rediscover it. Until, that is, I actually entered the store.

I think I'm going to be out that way for a class next week. I'll have to take a long lunch and check it out.

CompuWyrm

First Post
Queen, Universe, Rodrigo, I would love to see you come back. If you'd like to talk in person then swing by on a Wednesday night. That's my night to work the store and we're open until 10.

As to other comments, I don't notice any mustiness, but I wouldn't argue that someone else does.

The bathroom is complicated for reasons I won't discuss publically. We do try to keep it as clean as possible. I can only say that the issue is not a staff that doesn't care or try. It is cleaned at least daily.

If you find anything "off" in the store, by all means mention it to someone working there. If you don't want to talk to them directly, please send me a private message here and I'll be sure it gets passed along. Let me know what you found and, especially, when. I'll try to answer any messages. Also feel free to PM me about any general issues with the store.

Dieter

First Post
Dream Wizards is *sigh* probably the best bet for a store even remotely near Silver Spring. It's kinda gone downhill over the years with the CCG craze and such but still has a fairly good selection of miniatures (not just Games Workshop) and RPGs.

I should note that if you're succeptible to airborn pollutants that travelling up there on a Friday/Saturday evening (especially this time of year) is going to met with the great funk of summer gamers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads