• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer near Games Plus looking to game (Chicago Burbs)

I am looking to put together a small group in the Mount Prospect area of the Chicago burbs.

We can either play at my place near Games Plus or it would be easy enough to find an open table at Games Plus to use.

I am open to playing or DMing. I am also open to switching off on a regular basis.

My preferred game in Dnd 3E.

If interested reply here or drop me an email.

Darkness8Me

First Post
If you're putting together a group I'm (kinda) near Games Plus in Mt. Prospect and would be interested. Any idea what time and day of the week you're looking for?

Painfully

First Post
Actually, I'll game in both cities if I can set it up that way, but it may come down to wherever a reliable, regular group forms up first. I'm finding Rockford isn't nearly as active with regard to gamers, though I know several former players that don't have time for tabletop RPGs anymore (they're strictly computer gamers now).

I commute between Rockford and the Elk Grove area during the week. That's about 700 miles a week. I have no problems adding another 20 miles a week for a game in Mount Prospect. I game there irregularly on Saturdays with Curt, one of the store owners.

As for scheduling, I would prefer Sundays, perhaps noon to 6pm. If there are no church goers, then start a little earlier, bring your lunch (or eat nearby), and then finish gaming, "before dinner."

Also, I'd very much like to rotate DM's along with their own campaigns. It gives each DM plenty of time to prepare for the next session, and lets them play in something different too.

*edit
As for my campaign, I'll keep it core rules only (ie., no splat books) until I can get a feel for how you guys like to play. I never quite know what to do with gnomes though--they're just so small and so easy for a large creature to throw around like a basketball. I do have some eccentricities when it comes to arcane spell users though. Any young wizard or sorcerer types will have to work things out with me--it's strictly to regain some mystery and suspense about the powers of magic. I promise not to handicap you...too much.

There is one particular house rule I'd like to try concerning skills and areas of knowledge though, and that is keeping a slightly more detailed list of things you know. For instance, if you've spent some time travelling with dwarven merchants you should pick up certain simple words and phrases in dwarven and maybe even know the words to at least one dwarven drinking song if you're friendly enough. It seems like a small change, but I think it is these little bits of knowledge that can add flavor and prove crucial at the strangest times later in the game. Adds lots of opportunity to role-play too.

Beginning character background stories will play a good part in establishing your character's core skills (which may differ from class skills), and I may allow certain skills to be treated as class skills if it makes sense for your particular character (e.g. dwarven fighters DO NOT get swimming as a class skill, but may get appraise as a class skill if they also have a craft skill). I'll offer more details on how it works later.

In general, I will usually seek group majority before making any house rules for my campaign (including the one mentioned above), and I won't suggest anything that slows down the action of the game or doesn't add variety and flavor (such as the way I'll "flavor" arcane spell users). Players should get to know and expand their character's motivations and personality, and avoid too much concern about rules or metagaming.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Is there still room for joiners? A Sunday 12-6 thing would be great for me.

I've been playing for a while, do some reviews and rarely an article or two, but mostly like to play and my two job schedule (not counting reviews) has put that into tail spin. It's a haul to get out to Mt. Prospect, but for a good game I'd be in.

My personal preference would be to have the gaming session on a weeknight. I am getting married in a couple months and any session run on a weekend would run into lots of problems with me missing sessions left and right till things got back to normal.

Anyone would is interested in gaming on most likely a Wednesday or Thursday night should email me directly so that we can figure out details.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ah Wed and Thur... My old group used to play on Thur but Ihad to drop out due to the 2nd job. Oh well. If anyone does the Sunday thing, that's what I'm up for!

Game Day? Eh... probably not... Sorry, not really my cup of tea but perhaps I'll change my mind between now and June 22nd.

Painfully

First Post
I'm on for Sunday once we get 4 or more players. Sorry Doc, there's no way I can do weeknights since I work a late shift.

So far I see JoeGKushner, and maybe Darkness8Me

Hey Doc, can you make it twice a month on Sundays? Even if it takes a couple months for you to start, and another month to get regular I'd be fine with that. I can run one-shot adventures until you're more available.

Remove ads