• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer near Games Plus looking to game (Chicago Burbs)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Painfully said:
I'm on for Sunday once we get 4 or more players. Sorry Doc, there's no way I can do weeknights since I work a late shift.

So far I see JoeGKushner, and maybe Darkness8Me

Hey Doc, can you make it twice a month on Sundays? Even if it takes a couple months for you to start, and another month to get regular I'd be fine with that. I can run one-shot adventures until you're more available.

Well, if we have yourself, me and Darkness8Me, that's three. How about players we know? I can probably get one or two more people to show up.

To do that thought, I'd need some campaign info. Me? I pretty much don't mind what type of game I'm in. When I GM, it's usally a 42 point based campaign with a minimum stat of 10 (people always leave Wisdom and Charism at 8 so I fixed them!) which leaves 32 points. Pretty high fantasy, mostly module/adventure based with a lot of role playing thrown in. Lots of non-WoTC sourcebook use. PrC's vary according to character and what they can convince me fits with their character concept. Last campaign ran in Karathis (Fiery Dragon) and characters got up to 9th level from the starting point of NeMoren's Vault.

Painfully

First Post
I think it would be a good contrast if you would DM a campaign and alternate weeks with me. I prefer to keep the general flavor of my campaign magic-rare, and have listed some other changes in an earlier post.

As for characters, I'm thinking 28 point buy. Bonus xp if everybody chooses to play the same race :) Paladin will become a PrC, and most easily available to lawful good fighters or clerics. Elves must choose sorcerer instead of wizard. If the players agree, I may start you all at 2nd or 3rd level.

A lot of things will depend on what the players want, but it's safe to say that I will want each player to spend time on their character background and give me a chance to touch it up.

Adventures will depend a great deal upon your PC's motivations. I'll do my best to tie together all your different background stories to start you off. I like to have at least one good fight each session, and am not inclined toward political intrigue as much (though I'll probably take a stab at it at least once through the campaign).

I'm thinking of using the FR maps rather than drawing my own. Nothing else from FR mind you, I just prefer using those free maps I got from Dragon Magazine.

Mostly humanoid monsters to begin with. Locations and territories will be important. Trade routes and languages spoken will also be important.

JoeGKushner

First Post
28 point buy sounds good and insures that everyone is on an even playing field.

Any limits in race/class? For example, do you allow core classes from Soverign Stone, or the variant classes from Book of Eldrich Might, etc...

For starting spells for spellcasters, are any other books outside of the Player's Handbook allowed?

For Priests, what gods will be available for worship? Any special or limited domains?

If we created the characters via the demo from the Player's Handbook, would you want us to foward the file to you for preapproval?

Are there any other special notes, like the elves being sorcerers that need to be in the know?

When would be a good time to meet at Mt. Prospect?+

Painfully

First Post
I have quite a few "little thigns" I might want to add or change to the wizard and sorcerer classes. For now, I'd prefer to limit all wizards, and ask them to specialize in a school. Elves must be sorcerers, as I mentioned earlier.

Everything I propose is up for player approval, but if whoever is playing the wizard or sorcerer feels things are too tough, there is no reason we couldn't adapt the wizard to be more "regular" anytime between sessions.

I'll want to approve any external source material, including spells, PrC's (very limited), and probably anything else. It's not that I'm against it, but I may not want to include it due to the area your party is travelling, and what local NPC's are available to train or teach your PCs.

Don't expect to be able to multiclass from spell-user to non-spell user too easily, or vice versa. Clerics into paladins works well, though, as does ranger to druid, or rogue to fighter.

I'll be very strict about what new skills you might be able to learn. A lot will be determined by your character background stories. But it will also add some childhood skills to become class skills.

Gotta go to work. I'll post later after 1am tonight (central time)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Painfully said:
**just a polite reminder that Doc is still looking for some weeknight players, possibly Wednesday, or Thursday nights**

As for my anticipated Sunday group (feel free to join in)...

If you want to use the character generator, that's fine. I'd like to have a first meeting as soon as we get our four (or more) players, and clarify everything in person. I think our first session will be strictly character building and putting together a background story. If we'll be running alternating campaigns, then we can build the characters for the 2nd campaign too.

What kind of character did you have in mind?

It might be more convenient to meet in the chatroom here. E-mail me at painfully@mindspring.com and I should be available anytime Sunday to chat about it. I do want to make sure I get opinions from all the players though.

Well, I don't know about the other players, but I'm thinking something along the lines of basic non-magic using dude like barbarian, fighter, or rogue. Keep it simple I always say. Well, atl east at first keep it simple...

Remove ads