• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming and Your Significant Other

Gaming and Your Significant Other

• My sig-o was the one who introduced me to gaming.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • My sig-o is a gamer, but we don't game together.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • My sig-o and I game together.

Votes: 98 37.1%
  • My sig-o is not a gamer.

Votes: 112 42.4%
  • My sig-o doesn't even know I am a gamer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a significant other

Votes: 38 14.4%
  • Other (tell us your story...)

Votes: 6 2.3%

Gothmog

First Post
No SO here. My girlfriends in the past weren't too keen on gaming, and frequently gave me grief about it, playing the mind games alluded to earlier in this thread. When they invariably came down to "me or the game" or the "if you loved me, you'd...." lines, I knew they were duds and left them.

As it is right now, I'm staying busy enough with teaching classes, research work in my lab, and gaming that I don't really have time for dating or a SO, but it would be nice someday to meet a lady who does enjoy gaming, or at least doesn't hassle me about it and lets me be my nerdy self. :p

I met my SO at a Con. We were friends for a bit, because he joined the gaming group I was in. We are still in those groups and I just started playing in another group with him.

I love being able to bounce ideas off of him and talk about the game on our rides home.

I love the fact that we can game together. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Protagonist

First Post
I need to learn how to phrase that better.
Lots of Char D

You know that you should go to sleep when you read this as "oh someone developed a single-player focussed pen&paper rpg called Char D" and go on to google it. At least I have now learned the English name of a vegetable that is also the name of a small town in England.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
My other half is not a gamer.

Apparently, when she was at University she was invited to play by her flatmates.

The game was something like MERP, and while they were all mighty heroes, she was some sort of Bard, and an ineffectual one who wasn't given anything to do. Suffice to say, the story conjured for me a situation where a group of Alpha gamers invite a new player to play, and then never give them any screen time.

If I had a time machine, I'd be lecturing them about how that doesn't encourage new players to keep playing.

Remove ads