Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Jemal

Adventurer
RE the cart - I like that idea, So I'll give it to you for 150K

Cost an even 150K, And I'll let you summon/dismiss it into a figurine of wondrous power (No time limits), so you don't have to worry about leaving them or them defending themselves.

Shay - So long as the monster exists in the 3.5 monster manual, i'm fine with you using from either or both lists if you want.

Binder -
Imp. Natural Attack feat just allow you to deal larger damage, it does not actually make you larger, nor confer any other powers of being large (Such as size bonuses or feat pre-reqs)

And I'll allow that battlejumper feat if you don't
A: Use anything else that multiplies your weapon damage. (discounting crits)
B: Power attack.

Scott -
That color's fine.
when I woke 10 months ago from the induced coma, my shoulder to hand was dead. now it moves some, but excruciatingly painful and still weak. blah!
Oh sure, make me feel like a pansy for complaining about a measly ripped off fingernail. :p

Anyways, when you say +5 protection on the shirt, do you mean +5 armor enhancement, or deflection ala Ring of Protection?
Keep in mind that any armour/enhancement bonus you have does not stack with your Mage Armour spells, it also gives an armour bonus, and you use whichever is higher (Which will be the +11 greater Abjurant mage armour.)

It would have to be at least +1 Enhancement before you can add other things like shadow/silent moves to it.. and on that note, yes if you bought both Greater silent AND shadow, you would get a +15 to Stealth.

I have a suggestion:
+1 Silk Shirt of Greater Stealth : Total cost=5,000 shirt + 1,000 Enhancement + 67,500 Greater Stealth(Silent moves/shadow) = 73,500 gp cost.
I'll even let it give the 'Circlet of Persuasion' bonuses(equivalent 4,500) since you made it look so purdy. :p

AND, to those of you who haven't already, could you please just post up whatever you've got as your work in progress to the Rogues Gallery so I can see what people are thinking so far? thnx. :)

kinem

Adventurer
Jemal, I hope you've recovered :)

Are the following items from the MIC OK?

GAUNTLETS OF WEAPONRY ARCANE: 6,000 gp
These long, leather gauntlets extend far up the forearm. Silver stitching covers much of the leather, forming complex arcane runes. Any weapon (even a nonmetallic one) you hold while wearing these gauntlets overcomes damage reduction as if it were a magic silvered weapon.

I assume the weapon's normal qualities to overcome DR would still work too.

GLOVES OF ELDRITCH ADMIXTURE: 2,500 gp
Activation: Swift (command)
Dark whorls stream across these leather gloves, dizzying the eye and clouding the mind. Warlocks prize these gloves, which allow them to enhance their eldritch blasts with pure energy. Gloves of eldritch admixture have 3 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges adds extra damage to the next eldritch blast you make before the end of your turn. This damage can be acid, cold, or fire, as chosen by you each time you activate the gloves.
1 charge: +2d6 points of damage.
2 charges: +3d6 points of damage.
3 charges: +4d6 points of damage.

ETERNAL WAND
This long, tapered wand ends with a pink crystal containing red swirls. An eternal wand holds a single arcane spell of 3rd level or lower, determined during creation. Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate the wand to use the spell contained in it, regardless of whether the spell appears on his class spell list. An eternal wand functions two times per day.

Spell Level 0th, Caster Level 1st, 460 gp
Spell Level 1st, Caster Level 1st, 820 gp
Spell Level 2nd, Caster Level 3rd, 4,420 gp
Spell Level 3rd, Caster Level 5th, 10,900 gp

Also, would an enhancement bonus to a warlock's land speed also apply to his fell flight?

FELL FLIGHT
When you use this invocation, the powers of darkness bear you aloft as you sprout a streaming, winglike cape of shadows. You can fly at a speed equal to your land speed with good maneuverability for 24 hours.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Imp. Natural Attack feat just allow you to deal larger damage, it does not actually make you larger, nor confer any other powers of being large (Such as size bonuses or feat pre-reqs)
True. Would you be willing to slightly bend the letter of the rules in the spirit of logic then? After all, Knockback basically gives you a Bull Rush because you hit hard (specifically here: "like a Large character"). If I do, strictly speaking, "hit like a Large character", what does my hat size have to do with it?

Frankly, Bull Rush is not that great a manoeuver to begin with (I'm actually pushing characters out of reach of my own attacks, a big factor when you're playing a Flurry of Blows monk). I expect the biggest *numerical* advantage I'll get from it is from extra AoO when I have Reach (through Expansion) -- and in those cases my character *will* be Large or Larger anyway. I want Knockback at medium size because it's cool (I am NOT trying to build one of those ridiculous Flaming Ball of Death combos here) and I'm already paying a two feat "feat tax" to get it as it is (I would not be taking Power Attack or Improved Bull Rush without Knockback at the end). I *might* take Shock Trooper to try to gain *some* numerical advantage out of the wild Feat expense, though (because, of course, you need a Feat to do something that the basic Bull Rush maneuver should allow you to do in the first place if it was any good at all: Bull Rush in a 90 degree "fan" behind the target and gain an actual advantage when you actually manage to push people into other stuff... <sigh>).

Sorry, guess I'm getting a little frustrated with the arbitrarely rail-roady nature of the Feat system (and the clunkiness of any combat manoeuver that diverges from the holly I-Hit-it-with-my-Sword)... The above still makes sense to my mind though... Thinking about it, and with your permission, I'd personnaly nerf the Shock Trooper Feat (Complete Warrior) a little: have the Trip attack only apply to the Bull-Rushed character (with maybe a -X tohit or to AC for the bumped-in character?) and it's a *simple trip attempt*, not an Improved Trip attempt (no following attack on a successful trip so locks the door on the Flaming Ball silliness). I think the Trip attempt should apply to impacts with anything one size category smaller than the target or bigger though (chairs, walls, the halfling on all fours behind your knees :)), not just another character... Just a thought.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Did a little reading, comparing monster stats.

3.5 edition versions of high level summons are quite a bit less powerful than the pathfinder equivalents.

Don't think summoning is going to work out. Not for a high level/epic game. The challenges escalate far in excess of the availability of monsters for summoning. The Eidolon is good, but...eh. Definitely feeling like more trouble than it's worth right now.

Not having much luck with Oracle ideas either.

It's surprisingly hard to do the "mostly 3.5 but a little Pathfinder" approach for me. It's like two apple trees...one with rich red delicious apples, and one with little green nasty ones. And I can pick one nice apple, but the rest have to be from the other tree. :)

So...I dunno. If I can't think of something that appeals by Monday, I'll pull out so the rest of y'all don't have to wait on me.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Ripped off a finger nail?!? MAJOR OUCH!!!!! nothing pansy about that, down to the roots?

I have a suggestion:
+1 Silk Shirt of Greater Stealth : Total cost=5,000 shirt + 1,000 Enhancement + 67,500 Greater Stealth(Silent moves/shadow) = 73,500 gp cost.
I'll even let it give the 'Circlet of Persuasion' bonuses(equivalent 4,500) since you made it look so purdy.

and you said the +1 enhancement is null vs the gtr mage armor, right?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Hey there, [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]. Well, how about a Nature Oracle so you can at least do all the Nature's Ally spells?

Have you given thought to using the Astral Construct Psion power (Expanded Psionics Handbook) for summoning creatures instead of a Sorceror build? If you take the Ardent class from Complete Psionic, you can pursue both the Creation mantle (which covers Astral Construct) and the Life mantle (for healing powers). Build up your summoning power with Ectopic prestige class (also from Complete Psionic).

Or is it a question of base concept rather than base mechanics that's tripping you up? How about re-skinning your summoned creatures with a theme: saints, angels and/or the spirit of legendary heroes/personnal ancestors for a Divine/medieval character (multiclass as paladin)? Fairies (seely and unseely), talking animals and tiny nature gods for a more romantic character? Bones and bodies for a- Um, probably not with Gerald in the party ;). Clockwork (coming out of a pouch of tiny things?)? Have information-based spells come through talking with your creatures/sending them on recon? A divinely-inspired sculptor that shapes his/her creatures out of clay? A painter/caligraphist mage that draws them to life (lots and lots of Marvelous Pigment)?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
An oracle of Nature wouldn't be too effective in a game revolving around planar exploration.

But!

I have another concept I shall develop. Celestial Sorceror/monk with Ascetic Mage. Tossed around the idea of an aasimar, but the level adjustment is too big a loss if I take a monk level too.

I'll still be doing some summoning, but I won't be a summoner. No eidolon or Gate SLA's.

Since it looks like our dracosorceror is focused on blasties and direct attacks, I'll be focused on support, buffing, utility and summons. With some blasts thrown in for good measure.

Shan't be a great healer, but with celestial summons and my little holy ray, I can do some healing.

Jemal

Adventurer
Shayuri -
Sorry to hear bout the summoner thing :(
I have to disagree with your analogy though, and hijack it for my own use. ;)
the 3.5 apple tree is much better for making Applesauce. (throw a bunch in a blender and see what comes out.) :)

rest - Will address later, getting ready for thanksgiving dinner with the sis & girlfriend.

Remove ads