Gaming with Gygax

When I started playing, it was with the Holmes set during the dice shortage (I had the chits -- ha ha). My dad ended up *making* dice out of matte board. They were somewhat larger than normal dice, but they worked great.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Philotomy Jurament said:
When I started playing, it was with the Holmes set during the dice shortage (I had the chits -- ha ha). My dad ended up *making* dice out of matte board. They were somewhat larger than normal dice, but they worked great.

Awesome.

I might have to start doing a Foxworthyesque comedy routine at GenCon:

"If you've ever MADE your own dice rather than not game...You might be a D&D geek."

"If you've ever high fived anybody because you killed Gary Gygax's Gelatinous Cube with a Natural 20...You might be a D&D geek."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Philotomy Jurament said:

I like this story. :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Quartz said:
Hey Rel, I think it's worth posting your story in the other place we both (unless I'm very much mistaken) frequent.

You mean Circvs Maximvs? Cuz if you mean someplace else (aside from the Red Garter), I don't frequent it.

To Rel, PC and the rest of the mods....I hate you more than words can ever tell. (just kiddin')
Of course, that does explain your particularly good moods this year. As for his anniversary, I can add an addendum to this story.

He took his blushing bride of 20 years out on Thursday night to the Ram, along with a group of friends and family, I know, because I was there, he sat at the booth over my left shoulder. I didn't approach or say hi, because, frankly, I hate fan-boys that interrupt someone's normal life. Unfortunately they were leaving, otherwise I was going to buy him a drink and not allow the waitress to let him know from whom it came.

He did have to deal with a few fan-boys and though he was gracious, I was still somewhat annoyed at their behavior. On a more cheery note, I got to die along with Gary at Hickman's Killer Breakfast on Saturday morning...he tried to save himself by burrowing underground, it didn't work. Also killed at that game, Margret Weis, Laura Hickman, Ed Greenwood, three Dead Gentleman and the voice of Tasslehoff Burfoot from the forthcoming Dragonlance cartoon. So while you may have played with him, I was killed with him (along with 700 other people.) :D

Torm

Explorer
I am envious of all of the mods in the extreme. I tried to talk Henry into weaseling me into a temporary moderatorship just so I could go (knowing, of course, that I would fail). However, Mark (the guy who rode up from South Carolina with Henry) just brought me back the coolest thing next to actually playing in the game described:

Henry took my leather bound 3.5 PHB, DMG, and MM with him to the con, and they are now signed by Gary himself! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the write-up, Rel. I haven't had a chance to talk to Henry since they got back, and it is cool to have your story as added context for my new bragging rights. ;)

Remove ads