Gary Gygax Funeral Arrangements - Open to Public

Michael Morris said:
I didn't send flowers, I did send a huge poster on behalf of the board. If someone could please photograph it in context I would be grateful.
Thank you Michael Morris, those of us here respectfully appreciate this from you. I certainly hope the rest of those who will miss the Col-Pladoh or *EGG* to a few will know they are not alone.

I am sure his nearest and dearest are still having difficulty for they seemed rather close according to the Col_Pladoh, himself and I feel rather grounded in saying that he is known for more than his wit and his honesty is legendary as well.

The term "IS" applies because we here still personally remember and "was" only applies to his physical life and not his inspiration and life giving memories.

God Bless Ernest Gary Gygax and his family which we appreciate as well.

Our lives are richer because of him and his endeavor, so we continue to remember his time and words with fondness.

"Man, the SPIRIT of that guy has Awesomeness All Over It"-in memory and truth, HGF

He assisted with my learning what it means to be a persecuted christian and how to forgive and love others anyway.

Last edited:

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
I didn't take pictures at the service itself (beautiful service btw) but I did take pictures at GaryCon aftewards at the American Legion.

You can view them here.
http://gallery.mac.com/jollybgood#100173&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=14

I'll leave it others to fill in the names. Too many to list.

I did see the EN World Banner. Very nice. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

I noticed some twenty siders had been placed among the flowers by his coffin and added one of my own.

It was nice to see such a large turn out. Gary was truly blessed with a lot of friends.

Last edited:

The Levitator

First Post
It was an absolute treat to meet you and your cohorts today Jolly_Blackburn. I would have loved to have chatted more, but I'm easily star-struck and it felt a bit surreal to be talking with you guys. You 3 are top-notch as is your work. Thanks again for taking the time to spend a little time with me. It really made my day extra special. :)

Great pics BTW! I took a few shots with my XL1s but need to get them into my computer. DM Rocco took some pics of the poster and posted them here at Enworld. If you guys haven't met him, he's a really great guy. He has a new magazine he's putting out called Dragon Roots. He was nice enough to hand out a few copies today and I was lucky enough to get one. It's virtually all content, and I plan to subscribe to it.

I also grabbed some video at GaryCon. Once I get it dumped into my computer, I'm going to put it on my Driveway account so that Michael and the crew here can download it and do what they like with it. As a sign of respect, I promised Gary's kids that I would not be posting anything on YouTube or any site like that. I told them that I would be submitting what I have to the Enworld staff and they are free to do what they like with it. :)

My only regret is that I couldn't stay at GaryCon longer, but my ride had to get back home to watch his kids. But I was there long enough to see the genuine love that people have for Gary and this wonderful hobby he brought us all. It was a very special day for me and one I will never forget as long as I live.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Great meeting you as well Lev (as well as Rocco).
We couldn't stay at GaryCon as long as we wanted either. I would have loved to have sat down and gamed a bit and listened to a few more stories.

I know it was a funeral but there really was a sense of community through out the entire day that left me with a smile as we headed home. I think Gary would have been pleased.

Oh -- and I didn't realize til after we left the American Legion that one of the early GenCon's had been held there. Wow. That boggles the mind.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
A little bit of that history is here -

http://php.iupui.edu/~wrporter/Genconhistory.html

I believe the first Gencon I attended was 77 (I had thought 76 but it was at both the Playboy resort and Horticultural Hall my first year, so the Keeper of Lore says, "77"). I wish I could have made it up there today but it just wasn't in the cards. Maybe a GaryCon over GM's Day will become an annual event.

Goodnight, Poppa G.

Wolfspider

Explorer
paradox42 said:
It's actually not your idiocy, it's Acrobat Reader's. It doesn't highlight properly after some searches, even when it finds the search string. My screen name (paradox42) is on there, but whenever I search for it the program highlights "Aeris" or "Winterood."

What? Is there a pdf file of the memorial poster somewhere?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

Last edited:

Remove ads