General Discussion Thread II

Douane

First Post
rgordona said:
Most people go with the first option. Post the character up and email to the judges simultaneously.

Thanks! Will do so. :)

Is there precedent for minors on a government-backed supers team in the comics? Do the Avengers or Justice League have minor characters? If so, have any issues regarding their status as minors arisen, and if so how was it handled?

The most applicable example I remember from the Marvel Universe is Rage who had joined the Avengers as a probationary member. When it was discovered that he still was a teenager he had to leave the active team but was offered the chance to continue as an Avengers "trainee".

hero4hire

Explorer
Hand of Vecna said:
Good catch (though I'm not sure if the player's still around/the character's active.)

Is there precedent for minors on a government-backed supers team in the comics? Do the Avengers or Justice League have minor characters? If so, have any issues regarding their status as minors arisen, and if so how was it handled?

(I believe the Justice Society of America has two minors, Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder... but I'm not sure what legal status/ties the JSA has with the U.S. government. And in Stargirl's case, her stepdad's also on the team, so there is a degree of familial oversight built-in.)

Rage was a minor when he joined the Avengers. Rick Jones was also made an "honorary" Avenger when he was a minor. "Snapper" Carr also was made an "official mascot" of the Justice League. Hellboy technically was a minor when he started going on missions for the Government. I suppose Bucky counts as working for the Government as well as a plethora of DC sidekicks in the All Star Squadron.

If we were trying to emulate the real world closely I might have issue, but in comics throw in some legal emancipation mumbo jumbo and you should be good to go.

Raylis

First Post
If I remember right whenever Kid Dinosaur was assigned on a mission one of the adults was assigned his "legal guardian"

hero4hire

Explorer
Raylis said:
If I remember right whenever Kid Dinosaur was assigned on a mission one of the adults was assigned his "legal guardian"

Yep. I was actually on that mission. Like I said; Legal Mumbo Jumbo that wouldn't work in RL but works just fine in a Comic Book Setting.

LogicsFate

First Post
What would they make of a time controler coming into his powers early? Expecially Immunity(Ageing). 13 forever *shudder*.

On a side note Speed Freak has been reresubmitted, with all the changes.

I did all the math, and he can only do 66-67 miles in a round going all-out. *Painful sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some raw speed powers when I get the PP.

hero4hire

Explorer
LogicsFate said:
What would they make of a time controler coming into his powers early? Expecially Immunity(Ageing). 13 forever *shudder*.

On a side note Speed Freak has been reresubmitted, with all the changes.

I did all the math, and he can only do 66-67 miles in a round going all-out. *Painful sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some raw speed powers when I get the PP.

11 miles a second is not fast enough huh?

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Interestingly (or oddly), while the Mastermind's Manual has a more in-depth look at Movement Powers and Tactical movement, it's somewhat reverse from what's given in the Core book and in Ultimate Power.

The Core M&M book and UP say that the speed listed for a given rank of a movement power is the normal speed, with twice that being the accelerated speed and quadruple that being the all-out speed. Normal movement takes a move action, Accelerated movement takes a full action, and All-Out Movement takes a full action and makes you lose your dodge bonus (since you can't easily avoid obstacles/attacks), but you gain a Defense bonus equal to twice the rank of your movement power (since it's harder to hit fast-moving targets). No mention is made of converting mph to feet-per-round when doing tactical (in-combat) moves, though.

The Mastermind's Manual variant on Tactical Movement, though, does mention such conversions:
Characters have three modes of movement under the tactical variant: normal, accelerated, and all-out. These are the same for most characters (30 feet, 60 feet, and 120 feet). The difference is for movement powers. The power’s movement rank becomes its all-out movement. Its normal movement is 30 feet, plus 5 feet per rank, and its accelerated movement is twice that, 60 feet plus 10 feet per rank. So a character with Flight 6 has a normal tactical movement of 60 feet ((6 x 5) + 30), accelerated movement of 120 feet, and all-out movement of 500 MPH.
Under that ruling, Speed Freak's Super-Speed 10 would give him a normal tactical movement of 80 feet, an accelerated tactical movement of 160 feet, and an all-out movement of 10,000 mph.

(And it now dawns on me that I -- for some reason -- used the MasMan guideline when calculating Archeville's tactical movemenmt for his Flight belt.)

Oh, and regarding Speed Freak's Wisdom-loss Weakness drawback (which I'm pleased to hear you'd liked ;) ) -- since it's a per day thing, that decreases the value of the Intensity. The only way it could net you any points back is if the Frequency were Very Common (once per adventure [maybe the Resolutes only let him keep one dose on him at a time, thus ensuring he always come back to them])... and even then it'd only get you back 1 point.

I do have another suggestion on it, if you desperately need those 2 points you've got listed as coming from the Drawback. Instead of being a pill he takes every day, have the drug be as a Bane-like harness he wears (though one that's a lot less bulky and obvious than the one that super-strongman uses, something easily hidden under a uniform). It normally pumps the mind-stabilizing drugs into his system, but if breached -- by a critical hit in combat -- it stops working, and he begins suffering a -1 cumulative drain on his Wisdom. If it's an Uncommon (every few adventures) occurrence (which I think it would be), the drain would happen every 20 minutes in order for you to get those 2 points. If it's treated as a Common (every other adventure) occurrence -- which it may need to be given his high Defense and that some folks would need to roll a crit in order to hit him in the first place -- the time interval of the drain would need to be stepped down to 1 hour, if you still want to keep it at 2 points. So, to summarize:
  • Weakness (when drug system is breached by a critical hit [uncommon], -1 cumulative drain on Wisdom per 20 minutes; +2pp) (he'd have a little over 2 1/2 hours before his mind shuts down)
  • Weakness (when drug system is breached by a critical hit [common], -1 cumulative drain on Wisdom per hour; +2pp) (he'd have 8 hours before his mind shuts down)
  • Weakness (when drug system is breached by a critical hit [common], -1 cumulative drain on Wisdom per 20 minutes; +3pp)
Any of these sound good?

Douane

First Post
Douane said:
Question from an interested applicant:

How'd I go about to submit a character? Post him in the Character Submission thread and then email the corresponding judges about him or submit him via email to the judges and post after approval?

Thanks,

Folkert
Nimrod has been posted. More background to come as I've barely scratched the surface yet.

Since he's only my 2nd M&M character ever, I'd be thankful for any corrections and/or hints.

Thanks,

Folkert

hero4hire

Explorer
Douane said:
Nimrod has been posted. More background to come as I've barely scratched the surface yet.

Since he's only my 2nd M&M character ever, I'd be thankful for any corrections and/or hints.

Thanks,

Folkert

I will take a look at him.

BTW good to see you! :)

Last time I saw you was on another board and you had some health/family issues that prevented you from kicking off your M&M Marvel "Redemption" game.

Will O the Wisp is still ready to go BTW! ;)

Remove ads