• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patlin

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
How about something like this: "If a player wishes to retire 2 characters within one level of one another, they may create a new character at the level of the highest retiring character."

I'd vote for that.

orsal

LEW Judge
2 characters within 1 level: That could be 2nd and 1st. Anybody (who isn't at their 3-character maximum) would then be able to create a new character, retire it immediately, and use that to trade in one 2nd level character for another, completely bypassing the level penalty in the retirement rules. Is that your intention? If not, put a minimum level on characters to be retired under this rule.

Erekose13

Explorer
No that wasn't my intention, good idea. So both characters must be above 1st level? Is that enough? thats at least 6 months average time with the second character.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Interesting--would this allow a player to retire and resubmit the exact same character but with standard wealth by sacrificing a lower-level character?

Bront

The man with the probe
No, because once they're gone, they're gone. You could submit an identical character with a different name and similiar background though.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
"If a player wishes to retire 2 characters within one level of one another, they may create a new character at the level of the highest retiring character."
I don't like this rule because if I'm retiring a 5th and 4th level character, I shouldn't have to settle for a 5th level character. That's a lot of experience lost. It gets even more absurd at higher levels, and that's when people start getting tired of their characters, I would think. Am I clear on the wording? Because if I am, this doesn't even apply to you, Erekose: Eternity is L4 and Ao'Thuir is L2, not within 1 level of each other.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I don't like this rule because if I'm retiring a 5th and 4th level character, I shouldn't have to settle for a 5th level character. That's a lot of experience lost. It gets even more absurd at higher levels, and that's when people start getting tired of their characters, I would think. Am I clear on the wording? Because if I am, this doesn't even apply to you, Erekose: Eternity is L4 and Ao'Thuir is L2, not within 1 level of each other.
It's true that the combined XP rule is probably going to be more beneficial in most situations where the player isn't trying to abuse it. For instance, sacrificing a level 4 character using combined XP is guaranteed to let you retire any character up to level 6 (and you'll probably get it to work with 7 or 8) and stay the same level. Heck, with the XP rule at high levels, the new character may actually be higher level than either retired character even after you dock a level.

Bront

The man with the probe
I like adding the XP, then droping the XP needed for the next level.

2 4th level characters retire, at 10,000 XP each, making for a total of 20,000. That's a 5th level character. Since he needs 6,000 to reach 6th level, he looses that much, so he gets to keep 14,000, or start at 4th level, on the virge of 5th.

The other version of this, is combine both, figure out the level, and then drop 1 level per normal retirement rules plays out like this.

2 4th level characters retire, at 10,000 XP each, making for a total of 20,000. That's a 5th level character. Droping to 4th level, the new character begins at 10,000 XP

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I like adding the XP, then droping the XP needed for the next level.

2 4th level characters retire, at 10,000 XP each, making for a total of 20,000. That's a 5th level character. Since he needs 6,000 to reach 6th level, he looses that much, so he gets to keep 14,000, or start at 4th level, on the virge of 5th.

The other version of this, is combine both, figure out the level, and then drop 1 level per normal retirement rules plays out like this.

2 4th level characters retire, at 10,000 XP each, making for a total of 20,000. That's a 5th level character. Droping to 4th level, the new character begins at 10,000 XP
Interestingly, two barely-6th-level characters, each with 21,000 XP are retired, bringing the total to 42,000--a 9th-level character. Docking a level leaves an 8th-level character. Hmm, maybe this is too good.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Interestingly, two barely-6th-level characters, each with 21,000 XP are retired, bringing the total to 42,000--a 9th-level character. Docking a level leaves an 8th-level character. Hmm, maybe this is too good.
At the same time, allowing both to be reitred to start a 6th level character seems... not particularly benificial..

How about Keeping all of one XP and half of the other;s? That brings your example from 42,000, to 31,500, or 7th level. We then could or could not drop a level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads