General Discussion Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velmont

First Post
A word from our sponsor...

If you need to sell magical items, if you are searching for a way to acquire some cheaply, or if you direly need money and are ready to put in garantee one of your magical item, you can all find that in one place:

di Senzio's Magical Shop

We offer the best price on the market for your magical items, we also have some items at a price you will never elsewhere.

You can easily find us on the Merchant's Avenue.

Now back to our main program.

Patlin

Explorer
I'm having some e-mail trouble. The worst of it is for those few (mostly judges) who have my work e-mail address -- the one with "gov" in it. Our sysadmin just told us that the server is down and that e-mail has been "completely unreliable" for a number of days. If anyone has sent me any e-mail in the last couple of weeks that I haven't responded to, this may be why. I'm not sure resending will be helpfull until the problem is fixed, either, so if you need to reach me flag me down in one of my threads, and I'll send you an e-mail from a (presumably) working e-mail account.

Knight Otu

First Post
Patlin said:
I'm having some e-mail trouble. The worst of it is for those few (mostly judges) who have my work e-mail address -- the one with "gov" in it.
Yes, looks like we've been sending our recent emails to that adress, though you should have the mail that prompted the recent discussion. I'll see about forwarding you the other mails.

Patlin

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Yes, looks like we've been sending our recent emails to that adress, though you should have the mail that prompted the recent discussion. I'll see about forwarding you the other mails.

I've sent my mobile e-mail address to everyone involved in the last bit of the discussion that I got. Since work is down and my home e-mail provider has been bought out by another company, that's the one I have the most hope for. :)

Erekose13

Explorer
Would it be at all out of order to ask about combining retiring PC's levels when creating a new PC. I've got two PCs that I'm quite unhappy with how they've turned out. One is 4th level and one is very close to 3rd level. As per the current rules I could retire them both and start a 3rd level and 2nd level character respectively. What I'd like to see is if I can retire them both and create a 4th level character. Its a pretty special situation, but wondered if it might fly.

Manzanita

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Would it be at all out of order to ask about combining retiring PC's levels when creating a new PC. I've got two PCs that I'm quite unhappy with how they've turned out. One is 4th level and one is very close to 3rd level. As per the current rules I could retire them both and start a 3rd level and 2nd level character respectively. What I'd like to see is if I can retire them both and create a 4th level character. Its a pretty special situation, but wondered if it might fly.

I don't have a problem with this in this instance. In general, it sets a dubious precedent, as it might allow some real leapfrogging if someone retired to mid-level PCs. Perhaps if Erekose added together the XPs of his two PCs, and determined what level the combined PC would be, then he could retire them both and create a single PC one level lower than that amount. Given the increasing amount of XPs required each level, this might not set a bad precedent.

In a sense, I wonder if a number of us who have already advanced all three of our alloted PCs are someday going to want to start a new 1st level PC for a particularly attractive 1st level game. Conceptually, it might be nice to have a mechanism to 'combine' the value of two of your PCs, then be able to create a higher level new PC and a 1st level new PC.

Erekose13

Explorer
So you can see the specifics of what I'm looking at:
6,759 - ao'Thuir
1,743 - Eternity
------
8,502 total xp in potentially retiring characters. I also have 12 DM credits. If we wanted to look at the more acceptable solution that you mentioned Manz, I could bump ao'Thuir up a bit with 8 credits which would give me enough to get that total up to 10,000 and thus 5th level. While I'd prefer to hang on to those, I'm willing to do that if others find it okay.

Bront

The man with the probe
That's a shame. Juliana had been looking forward to adventuring with Eternity, though she's leapfroged her just a bit.

I like combining the XP better than levels.

Patlin

Explorer
I'm OK with it in principal, though if we're creating a precedent perhaps we should do it as a proposal, slightly modifying (adding to) the retirement rules.

Possibly "When retiring two living characters, you may create a character equal in level to the higher level character if the lower level characer is at least 3rd level."

Erekose13

Explorer
How about something like this: "If a player wishes to retire 2 characters within one level of one another, they may create a new character at the level of the highest retiring character."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads