General Discussion Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidBlue

First Post
Action Points

I have never played in a campaign that has used actions points. I have no personal experience. That being the case, I would like to hear the thoughts and experiences of those that have played with them. They might be a worthwhile addition to LEW.

Unlike a live game, each LEW character is developed slowly over a long period of time, and when the character dies, you are not immediately granted the chance to create another one at a similar power level. Introducing power points would grant LEW characters two benefits: (1) Simple bad luck is less likely to result in death. (2) The players might feel a little bit more at ease, and feel confident in taking heroic actions.

Thoughts?

Erekose13

Explorer
I've played in a few games with action points online and they tend to be far more cumbersome than in F2F games.

Are they open source? If they are contained only in the Eberron Campaign Setting they wouldn't be available for us to use.

Knight Otu

First Post
Erekose13 said:
I've played in a few games with action points online and they tend to be far more cumbersome than in F2F games.

Are they open source? If they are contained only in the Eberron Campaign Setting they wouldn't be available for us to use.
d20 Modern and Unearthed Arcana both include rules for action points, so they're open.

Bront

The man with the probe
Action points are great in face to face. In PbP, not so much. they can be cumbersome, hard to use, and slow things down a bit.

LiquidBlue

First Post
Well there, you have it. Action points in practice are cumbersome. I wonder why that is? Do they not in general simply modify one's actions. That is during the course of a regular action they can be declared and used to modify that action. The only reason that I could see them being cumbersome in a PbP game is if they caused out of order actions.

BigB

First Post
I have some questions:

Is there a limit on the number of classes a character can have? Does this limit include prestige classes?

For a 2nd level character, one DM credit can be used to gain 100 exp?

Manzanita

First Post
I think it was Patlin who directed me to this website that computed XP awards and difficulty levels for encounters. It no longer appears to be working. I don't have the 3.5 DMG. I just use the online SRD. Does anyone else know of a website that can be used to calculate XPs & difficulty levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads