General Discussion

FrancisJohn

Explorer
General rule question:

Francis John just finished his adventure. Can he go shopping before he applies his level gained during the adventure? Thinking of buying a Headband of Vast Intelligence... obviously would be beneficial to level up after the fact....

Thoughts?

Side question.... the knowledges aren't listed.... do I roll for them or get to pick?

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Before or after leveling doesn't matter. My understanding is that skill points are still calculated off your base INT. Headband of Vast Intelligence gives you a skill (1-3), your choice, and skill ranks in that skill equal to your hit dice.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Before or after leveling doesn't matter. My understanding is that skill points are still calculated off your base INT. Headband of Vast Intelligence gives you a skill (1-3), your choice, and skill ranks in that skill equal to your hit dice.

Actually, I'm not sure..... If something gives an enhancement bonus, does that not give a boost to the modifier? It doesn't specifically say anything about using only the base modifier anywhere that I've seen, but I could still be wrong.

Pertinent info core rulebook on paizo.com:

Each level, your character gains a number of skill ranks dependent upon your class plus your Intelligence modifier
The headband grants the wearer an enhancement bonus to Intelligence of +2, +4, or +6.

You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:

The number of skill points gained each level, though your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.

Errata from paizo.com:

Headband of Vast Intelligence: If I wear this item, do I get retroactive skill ranks for my Int increase in addition to the skill ranks associated with the item?

No. The skill associated with the magic item represents the "retroactive" skill ranks you'd get from the item increasing your Intelligence. You don't get the item's built-in skill ranks and another set to assign however you want.

Discussion Thread from Paizo

That one specifically seems to deal with past levels, not the current one. This seems like it could affect many skills points down the road. Wouldn't this be similar to the Constitution belt? That you get more hit points next time you level? Isn't that one of the main purposes of the belt? (in addition to Fortitude and what have you)

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
I stated things poorly. Think of it this way: yes, you do get extra skill points based on your new Intelligence. However, you must spend them in the fashion dictated by the Headband. You do not get double bonus skill points. So, if you have a Headband +2 INT (K Religion), you would essentially get one extra skill point (even retroactively) but those extra skill points must all be spent on the Knowledge Religion skill.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
I guess I still don't get why wearing a CON belt gives you extra HP per level, but an INT headband doesn't give you an extra skill point. As I read it, the headband takes one knowledge skill and makes it's rank number = your level. I don't see where it states that you wouldn't get an extra skill point per level just for having more INT. That would only be for that level and beyond, not retroactively.

I hope I'm not coming off rude or standoffish, but I genuinely don't see that in the PRD. I do know that this reads much different than 3.5 FWIW.

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
So I think I need my own headband to comprehend the ambiguity of this wondrous item. My final opinion is that rules as written is waaaaay different then the rules as intended. If the game designers say how it is intended, and you judges adhere to that, then I humbly submit to your judgment. Although what fun would life be without shaking your fist every once in awhile.

That being said, what do you guys think is typically the most useful knowledge? Those of you who have met my crotchety little halfling, what knowledge would suit him the best?

And if I purchase the headband currently in the pearl, do I pick or roll the knowledge?

Remove ads