• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Into the Game

paulsometimes

First Post
If this has been covered before, I apologize. I've gone through some old posts, but haven't the time to go back as far as possible.
It's been about three and a half years since I've last gamed. Part of the reason I haven't been gaming is joining the military and traveling and all that. The other reason, and the bigger reason, is that before I left for the military, I found myself having a hard time really getting into the game. I just mentally wasn't there and couldn't get myself there no matter how hard I tried. I think some of it had to do with the current group which was kind of new and had some of those stereotypical gamers that annoy most other gamers. But there had to be more to it than that. The feeling of mentally drifting away from the game had been going on for a few years. The new gaming group only seemed to bring it out in its strongest form.
Anyways, I've been invited to join another group that's run by a coworker and I'd really like to give it a try, but I don't want to disappoint both of us by getting there and only half-heartedly participating.
Has anyone else gone through anything like this? If so, how did you deal with it? I've still purchased a few gaming books in the past years as I have fond memories of gaming and try to keep myself a bit in the know of what's going on in the industry as I don't want to think of my gaming days as over. But if the idea of it is always ten times better than the actual activity, I'm thinking it may be time to hang up the dice bag for good.
Thanks.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
maybe when you sit back at the table and start gaming it will work well.

You could always read some fantasy books, or try to re-build the character you liked the most.

The same thing happened to me 2 years ago, I was playing a figher and it just wasn't working for me. So, I talked with the DM, and we managed to give him a fari ending and I brought back my favourite rogue. It worked great from that day onward. Just relax and try to take it easy, there is no need in getting all worked up because of that, just be sure to build a character your confortable with and enjoy the game.

Montague68

First Post
I think the new group could do you a lot of good.

I had the same feeling you did about six years ago. I was a player at the time and we'd had the same DM then for going on six years. We jumped from one campaign to another, from one game system to another and were really spinning our wheels. The gamers were good company, but the adventures were for the most part formulaic and dull. It got to the point where I could predict what was going to happen by the second adventure and I left the group. Gaming with new people really helped in my case, as it helps alleviate that sense of same old, same old, been there done that.

Remove ads