Getting my first cat tomorrow...

mgbeach

Explorer
Since you are in South Carolina he should be called Gamecock!

I went to the University of South Carolina (the real USC :)) .. the mascot's name is Cocky.. I think our hats might still be the best selling out there..

iwKsI.jpg

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Melchior - after one of the magi.

Moloch - after a bad news god.

Bealzebubbles (fed on blood and milk! I heard you I did, you told him 'Bubbles, drink your bloody milk!') From Blackadder.

The Auld Grump

mgbeach

Explorer
Great suggestions guys! Thanks much!

When I was by there earlier I suggested "lucky" for its irony and all the vets and assistants there yelled out in unison, "Nooooooooo!" Evidently naming a pet "lucky" is just asking for misfortune, as seen by the veterinary profession.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Evidently naming a pet "lucky" is just asking for misfortune, as seen by the veterinary profession.

My wife is a veterinarian - yes, the proportion of pets named "Lucky" that aren't lucky is high.

Several other names you should avoid: Loki, Odin (even if he does have one eye), Eris, Miles (Vorkosigan). Generally avoiding figures of chaos and destruction is a good idea. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
My wife is a veterinarian - yes, the proportion of pets named "Lucky" that aren't lucky is high.

Several other names you should avoid: Loki, Odin (even if he does have one eye), Eris, Miles (Vorkosigan). Generally avoiding figures of chaos and destruction is a good idea. :)
A friend of mine had a cat named Anansi that lived a good long time. (In spite of the owner sometimes singing 'Spidercat, Spidercat! Sitting wherever the Spidercat's at....' and other bits of, umm, doggerel?)

The Auld Grump, 'course Anansi is a trickster, but there doesn't seem to be much destruction in his portfolio.

Last edited:

Remove ads