• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting my first cat tomorrow...

mgbeach

Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions! In the end, my niece wanted to call him Rocky so that was that.

I'll say it's short for Rakshasa

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions! In the end, my niece wanted to call him Rocky so that was that.

It's amazing how many cat and other pet names wind up ending in a -y or -ie sound. Actually probably shouldn't be, but I can think of...maybe four* of the many, many cats we had that didn't have a diminuitive name.

* - We had:
Hyper (a very, very active cat, found in a soybean field nearby)
Shortwhiskers (so named after he helped Dad burn garbage)
Suzanne (to the best of my knowledge, named after a substitute teacher)
DA (which is short for Dumb A...you know)

Brad

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's amazing how many cat and other pet names wind up ending in a -y or -ie sound. Actually probably shouldn't be, but I can think of...maybe four* of the many, many cats we had that didn't have a diminuitive name.

In my personal history, almost all of our pets had "people" names...but often had nicknames.

Back in the 70's & 80's, my cats were named Fluff & Thursday. My gerbils (who predeceased the acquisition of the cats, FWIW) were Cindy and Sue.

Since 1986, we've had a sequence of Border Collies (1-3 at a time). #1 was named Bubbles. The rest all have human names, but often have nicknames that end in a -y/ie sound...though they often answer to "Big Dog" and "Little Dog" (based on seniority).

Graybeard

Explorer
My two cats are named Ginger and Mrs Howell. We call Mrs Howell 'Lovey' usually. My niece has an all gray cat she named Dorian. She almost named it Earl though.

Wycen

Explorer
We had a Siamese kitten many years ago that I got to name. It was just after Robotech came out. I named him Khyron the Backstabber, on account of his tendency to pounce on you when you weren't looking.

Then some bastard stole him or he ran away :(

Most of our family cats have had horribly boring names, even the newest cat my sister dropped off for my mom. Dad named him Snicker or Snickers, as in the candy bar. Except I've heard my dad call him Slicker as well.

Dioltach

Legend
According to Terry Pratchett, you should give your cat a name you won't be embarrassed about calling out in the middle of the night while you're banging a spoon against a foodbowl. (I know from personal experience that "Agamemnon" doesn't fall into this category.)

He also says that no matter what you decide to call your cat, at some point it will always end up being called "Aaargh-get-out-of-there!" or "Well-you-shouldn't-have-been-standing-there-then!"

Your cat looks great, by the way. You can tell there's lots of personality there. Have fun!

Remove ads