• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting your friends into gaming...

jezter6

Explorer
Since there's already been 1 split-off of the SO's and gaming thread, I figured I'd start another one pertaining to my personal situation.

I'm looking to move in with 2 friends, in a new state. Since it's already hard to get groups together when you know people, and finding people who game in an area without a gaming store is kind of difficult, I've been tempted to try and recruit my roommates, and possibly some of their friends (of course when the time comes).

They both play xbox like fiends, and 1 plays computer RPGs. I've kinda approached the computer gamer about it before, but thinks D&D is kinda silly (although I have no intention of running D&D). The other is a bit of a jock type and likely wouldn't be interested at all, but I have to have hope.

So tell me how you've approached non-gamers and gotten them to sit down and play a session or two and how it worked out.

punkorange

First Post
just ask them to give it a try once. If they like it then invite them to play more, if not, well sorry.
Best way is just to ask. You will more often than not be suprised.

Yeah, just ask. Even the jock. One of the prime members of a past gaming group of mine was a big sports fan / athlete.

A lot of my current friends are actually ex-gamers. I'd approach them with the hopes of increasing the size of my gaming group, but I know that getting our schedules to sync up would preclude it from the beginning.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I've known a couple jocks who play paper and pencil RPGs on the other hand there are many nerds who think pnp RPGs are silly.
I don't have really advice to give.

the Jester

Legend
A short one-off with pregenerated characters seems like a good way to spark the initial interest. If you do this, writing a paragraph or three of background/description for each pc is a good idea.

Tinner

First Post
Hook them with something they already understand.
If the CRPG player knows World of Warcraft, try running that. For the jock, maybe X-Crawl would make more sense for him.
Just don't try to run your ultimate super awesome campaign with these new players. They aren't yet equipped to handle a subtle political influence game that deals with serious character development etc.
Start them off with some beer & pretzels action tailored to their interests.
Once they're hooked, then you can push them on to he hard stuff ... :D

Jupp

Explorer
And if you find out that you dont wanna game with them any more you just show them the WLD book "hey how about a one-shot adventure today!". You could also show them ToH and watch them run....

Seriously, I think those new players (if you manage to get them on the table) are the coolest to game with because they are there to have fun. No powergamers, no rules lawyers and no esoteric furry fantasy (yuck).

STARP_President

First Post
They both play xbox like fiends, and 1 plays computer RPGs. I've kinda approached the computer gamer about it before, but thinks D&D is kinda silly (although I have no intention of running D&D). The other is a bit of a jock type and likely wouldn't be interested at all, but I have to have hope.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I think D&D is kinda silly, and I play it! I'd approach it more like that - it's all a big laugh. At least, it is if you're doing it right.

Oryan77

Adventurer
My experience has been that as I'm older (late twenties), people 21 & over are pretty interested in the game at first, but have no long term desires. They'll be all into the game for a few months (they won't learn rules outside of game though) and really try to make the sessions. After they've tasted the initial fun of the game & got familiar with it, they stop "trying" to make sessions. They won't try to alter their schedules to fit in the game, they just won't fit in the game. You'll end up needing new players all over again.

People do the same with video games. They'll play a new game for a week getting only 3 hours sleep a night. After that, they stop trying to fit time in for the game and it becomes less & less a priority. Then they are back to their 8 hour sleep schedule.

Also, new players that are familiar with video games but not pen & paper really have a hard time adjusting to D&D. They see it as a video game and they play it that way. It's hard to teach them the difference. They get frustrated when they don't level fast enough, they don't understand why thay can't fit an army surplus store into their backpacks, they don't get attached to their players, they don't roleplay, and they assume everything is meant to be killed at thier level (they'll get mad if they pick on something stronger than them and they die from it).

I even had the problem where a player familiar with Neverwinter Nights began playing D&D with me and instead of him reading the PHB, he constantly assumed it worked like NWN (even when I'd remind him it doesn't and ask he keep up with the PHB rules). So he'd cast a spell that I'm not 100% familiar with, he'd tell me what it does and I'd trust that he's right. Then I'd check it after the game to become familiar with it and learn that it worked nothing like he said it did. I'd ask him about it and he'd tell me again, "That's how it worked in NWN".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads