Ghostbusters (trailer)

MechaPilot

Explorer
I am not sure I see how the second trailer is 'better' or 'worse' than the other. Seems just like a different approach to the same movie.

It could very well be a good or great movie. Though the question remains, will it be a good Ghostbuster's movie? There is a lot of nerd rage out there. Mostly for the style of comedy seen being favored compared to the originals.

Not just the comedic style, but also the visual style. I've seen a few comments that don't speak well of the appearance of the ghosts compared to the original films. I think they're right that it looks different, but I don't think that it looks any worse than the original in that regard. I think that it looks different in that way largely because of the advances in special effects over the last 30+ years.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not just the comedic style, but also the visual style. I've seen a few comments that don't speak well of the appearance of the ghosts compared to the original films. I think they're right that it looks different, but I don't think that it looks any worse than the original in that regard. I think that it looks different in that way largely because of the advances in special effects over the last 30+ years.

the original ghosts had a purple glow with less defined outlines which helped them look like classic 'indistinct ghostly forms' as opposed to the new ones which have a sharp bright blue glow - which may be an example of older special effects sometimes working better than crisp sharp cgi.

I am hoping we get some of the scary visuals that the originals had - like the libray ghost, the zombie taxi driver and the Zuul dog

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
the original ghosts had a purple glow with less defined outlines which helped them look like classic 'indistinct ghostly forms' as opposed to the new ones which have a sharp bright blue glow - which may be and example of older special effects sometimes working better than crisp sharp cgi.

I am hoping we get some of the scary visuals that the originals had - like the libray ghost, the zombie taxi driver and the Zuul dog

The trailer for the new one includes the library ghost: that's the one that vomits the ectoplasm in the trailer for the new one.

Hmm, not quite sure I liked the trailer. I'm still hopping we'll see something like Melissa McCarthy in Spy in the sense of a fun and unexpected spin, but judging solely by the trailer, it's a movie I'd probably watch on Netflix and skip on the big screen.

I also admit to be a bit confused with all the -apparently IC- references to the old movies. I'm sure I've read or heard somewhere this one was supposed to be a reboot instead of a sequel or spin-off.

Maybe a second trailer will polish the presentation and make it seem compelling to watch.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Hmm, not quite sure I liked the trailer. I'm still hopping we'll see something like Melissa McCarthy in Spy in the sense of a fun and unexpected spin, but judging solely by the trailer, it's a movie I'd probably watch on Netflix and skip on the big screen.

I also admit to be a bit confused with all the -apparently IC- references to the old movies. I'm sure I've read or heard somewhere this one was supposed to be a reboot instead of a sequel or spin-off.

Maybe a second trailer will polish the presentation and make it seem compelling to watch.

It is a reboot. Just out of curiosity, what in-character references are you referring to? There is some text at the beginning that refers to the original film being released 30 years ago in the real world, but I haven't seen any in-character references to the original ghostbusters in the trailer for the new film.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It is a reboot. Just out of curiosity, what in-character references are you referring to? There is some text at the beginning that refers to the original film being released 30 years ago in the real world, but I haven't seen any in-character references to the original ghostbusters in the trailer for the new film.

the only thing I could possibly point to is the logo appearing as subway graffiti, but I do see how that beginning text could confuse some people. It does seem to be a bit disingenuous to me, almost 'cheating' in as much as they reference '30 years ago' to appeal to us old fans but then go about rebooting the whole thing into something 'new'.

unless of course they going to make some in-movie 'joke' as a reference, then that'll be cool

MechaPilot

Explorer
the only thing I could possibly point to is the logo appearing as subway graffiti, but I do see how that beginning text could confuse some people. It does seem to be a bit disingenuous to me, almost 'cheating' in as much as they reference '30 years ago' to appeal to us old fans but then go about rebooting the whole thing into something 'new'.

unless of course they going to make some in-movie 'joke' as a reference, then that'll be cool

I just figured that the text at the beginning was a shameless nostalgia ploy, just like the Chewie we're home bit from TFA (and half a dozen other things from TFA, but I won't go into that again). I don't really blame Hollywood for pushing the nostalgia angle when trying to sell either a reboot or a decades-later sequel (like Mad Max). It's probably the best tool they have for spreading general awareness about a reboot or late sequel.

Edit: With regard to the subway graffiti, I think that may be where the team gets their logo from. Recall in the most recent trailer (the "international" version), we have a scene of Hemsworth's character trying to come up with a logo for the team and it not being well received. It could well be that someone drew a ghost on that wall, then someone else came by and put the circle with a line through it over the ghost, and the ghostbusters see that on the wall when taking the subway to get somewhere.

Last edited:

Remove ads