• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giant Ant Worker, CR 1??

Delta

First Post
I would actually agree with you. When I run the giant ant worker through my Open Gaming Combat Simulator program (http://www.superdan.net/softwin.html), 3 of them are evenly matched in melee against a 1st-level NPC Fighter. At low levels, that's a very good indicator of CR, i.e., CR 1/3 is about right.

Giant Ant, Worker: Init +0; AC 17; HD 2d8; Spd 50; Atk bite +1 (1d6); SQ Improved grab, scent, vermin

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
As with everything, CR is mostly a educated guess. As such some either end up to high, or to low. In this case yes the ant is not tough enough to warant a CR of 1. As Delta said its a more a 1/3 CR to 1/2 then 1. But remember its the player group that really makes wether a creature is as much a challenge as its CR suggests.

frankthedm

First Post
I'd say keep them CR 1 and give them a 16 or 18 STR.

Do remember vermin type does give some major immunties and at CR1 AC is nice and solid.

Quartz

Hero
darthkilmor said:
The CR seems a bit high on the giant ant worker, esp compared to the other vermin. Would something like 1/2 or 1/3 be more appropriate ?

CR 1 looks about right to me. An average of 12.5 HP will require 2-3 hits to down. AC 17 means that the party needs to roll high to hit it in the first place (first level fighter with Str 16 and Weapon Focus is +5 to hit which means he only hits 40% of the time). Then there's the immunities from the Vermin type and it's got Improved Grab. For first level PCs, it's a tough encounter, and several of them are a good challenge for higher level PCs.

frankthedm

First Post
Quartz said:
CR 1 looks about right to me. An average of 12.5 HP will require 2-3 hits to down.
It has an average of 9HP. That is one hit of a greatsword
Quartz said:
and it's got Improved Grab.
It can only grab small or smaller PCs. Unless the improved grab entry for the monster says otherwise, Improved grab only works on smaller opponents.

Quartz

Hero
frankthedm said:
It has an average of 9HP.

I gave it max HP for its first HD.

That is one hit of a greatsword

Possibly. Average damage is 5.5 HP + 3 for Str 16 (no Power Attack, you need the AB to hit it in the first place) gives 8.5, so 2 hits are needed, even with 9 HP. And your PC fighter may well have longsword and shield, for 7.5 HP damage. And with that good an AC - as good or better than most 1st level characters - the monster's good for 3-4 rounds of combat.

It can only grab small or smaller PCs

Like halflings. One of the core PC races.

Slaved

First Post
A greatsword is two handed and does a base average damage of 7. With a 16 strength that means an average damage of 11 on a hit.

Quartz

Hero
Slaved said:
A greatsword is two handed and does a base average damage of 7. With a 16 strength that means an average damage of 11 on a hit.

Bah, you're right, of course. 2d6 instead of 1d10.

Remove ads