Giant Robots!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I guess we can discuss Cybermen (cyborgs) and Cylons (both) in this topic too.

I have to admit, I didn't watch the new BSG through to the end - it was too depressing. I am not sure how the cylons fit into the picture. Some of the advanced forms were indistinguishable from humans*, but are still in some real senses "artificial". These challenge our definitions, and demonstrate there are cases that don't fit neatly into one category or another.

Cybermen are cyborgs, pretty clear and simple. They still even have to breathe.

Daleks are in that middle space - there's an organism inside that controls a metal shell, but it is unclear to me whether they are dependent upon that shell for their life processes. They're on that cusp between "person in a tank" and "cyborg".

*How could you not note the differences that lead to a spinal column that glows? I mean, really?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Go go, giant robots!

Mechani-Kong from King Kong Escapes:
tumblr_mqkr4nIDYc1s01qkyo1_500.gif

tumblr_mq3ncdAcco1s01qkyo1_r1_500.gif

Harvester from Terminator Salvation:
tumblr_mpkwwlkfwj1sqhegwo6_500.jpg

Black Ox from Tetsujin 28:
tumblr_m616dogf351qfnmveo1_500.jpg

Omega Supreme of Transformers fame:
tumblr_mqgnz4kOWf1s2ay3fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mjfbipEjze1ql3bcno1_500.png

tumblr_mlkz7kKVv61r9jj8yo4_500.jpg

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Cybermen and Cylons are not Giant. (Cybermen Actors were only about 6'6-6'8)
Would an AT-AT be a robot of a vehicle?
Several of my next set of Maya projects involve Giant Transforming Mecha Robots (one will have R2-KT and Giant Transforming Mecha)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Cybermen and Cylons are not Giant. (Cybermen Actors were only about 6'6-6'8))
not giants true (well kind of to me) but not robots. We just have to decide what a giant is, simple twice the normal average is where the line starts. So, 10 feet or above is giant.

AT-AT was a vehicle, they have to have pilots, gunners, etc. Now, in all fairness those could be robots but it would still make it a vehicle.

The King Crab I posted was a mech, which means it wasn't operating autonomously, it needed a pilot.

So I am pretty liberal in what this thread is about. Give me something that looks robotic and gigantic in one, I don't care if there's a pilot inside or not.

The Roboter from Robbi, Tobbi und das Fliewatüüt wouldn't quality, strictly speaking:
235542.jpg

But a mech like this I am okay with:
maulersky.jpg

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Anyone remember the old Japanese TV show with the three giant robots that turned into rocket ships? Goldar (the man), Silvar (the woman), Gam (their son), and they were fighting the loogu men (who turned into apple sauce and black rags when they died).

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Anyone remember the old Japanese TV show with the three giant robots that turned into rocket ships? Goldar (the man), Silvar (the woman), Gam (their son), and they were fighting the loogu men (who turned into apple sauce and black rags when they died).
I saw it under the name Space Avenger, but apparently the original name is Ambassador Magma, and the US version was called Space Giants.
tumblr_mv0nccWn8s1qz4s16o1_500.jpg

Remove ads