Gloomhaven RPG Will Have More Than 600 Miniatures

A certain million-dollar crowdfunder

GHRPG_2_07bef3c7-3b65-4272-b9a6-9becb6fe0cb9_1000x.jpg

Crowdfunding on Kickstarter competitor Backerkit on June 20th, the official tabletop RPG of the popular Gloomhaven boardgame will come loaded with more than 600 miniatures.

There will be a core set of 250+ minis, with add-ons offering many more.

Miniatures tend to push Kickstarters into the upper echelons, and with Gloomhaven's existing following it seems likely that this will very easily (and quickly) join the million dollar Kickstarter club. Already 30,000 people have signed up to follow the campaign, and it's still two months away.

The RPG book and card set itself will contain 8 ancestries, 16 classes, plus backgrounds, skills, and attributes.

TrickyDUK2

Explorer
I think the minis were always intended for the board game. It has hundreds of cardboard standees, which helped with price, but lots of players have been asking for minis. The RPG release seems more coincidental and just an opportunity to present an alternative reason to buy.

It is sort of similar to what Steam Forged Games are doing with their Dark Souls RPG - they are releasing minis (which I suspect were developed for the board game) to now support the RPG.

I think the minis were always intended for the board game. It has hundreds of cardboard standees, which helped with price, but lots of players have been asking for minis. The RPG release seems more coincidental and just an opportunity to present an alternative reason to buy.

It is sort of similar to what Steam Forged Games are doing with their Dark Souls RPG - they are releasing minis (which I suspect were developed for the board game) to now support the RPG.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. That's pretty cool then!

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I take it no dice or very limited in use for this rpg as the 2nd video was talking about cards more so than seeing dice on the table but I might have missed it.

I agree, this one should do pretty well just for people looking for minis and if the rpg game is fun, that’s a bonus!

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I take it no dice or very limited in use for this rpg as the 2nd video was talking about cards more so than seeing dice on the table but I might have missed it.

I agree, this one should do pretty well just for people looking for minis and if the rpg game is fun, that’s a bonus!
Gloomhaven has a card based resolution system. Each character has a deck which has good and bad results. There are a couple of cards that cause you to shuffle your deck after drawing them. The monsters have their own deck as well.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've thought a bit about how to turn DnD like stuff into cards like this, which is different than 4e but similar....so I'm intrigued. Having played waaaaaaaaay too many hours online, there is actually a rich world here to be explored.

MGibster

Legend
I loved minis back in the day. Now, at my age, I simply don't want to be bothered with all that inane clutter anymore. Just too much "stuff."
I love painting miniatures, but 600 at once is a bit daunting. I made a resolution this year to clear out as much of my backlog of unpainted miniatures as possible. As part of that resolution, I've cut down on the number of new miniatures I've purchased to concentrate on the ones I've had for a while. I haven't bought a new miniature since early March, though I received a few for my birthday.

Remove ads

Remove ads