Gloomhaven RPG Will Have More Than 600 Miniatures

A certain million-dollar crowdfunder

GHRPG_2_07bef3c7-3b65-4272-b9a6-9becb6fe0cb9_1000x.jpg

Crowdfunding on Kickstarter competitor Backerkit on June 20th, the official tabletop RPG of the popular Gloomhaven boardgame will come loaded with more than 600 miniatures.

There will be a core set of 250+ minis, with add-ons offering many more.

Miniatures tend to push Kickstarters into the upper echelons, and with Gloomhaven's existing following it seems likely that this will very easily (and quickly) join the million dollar Kickstarter club. Already 30,000 people have signed up to follow the campaign, and it's still two months away.

The RPG book and card set itself will contain 8 ancestries, 16 classes, plus backgrounds, skills, and attributes.

Staffan

Legend
There's part of me that's super-excited for Frosthaven (and to a lesser extent Gloomhaven) minis. And then there's another part of me that says "You don't have room for another bookshelf in which to store them."

A fundamental play consideration of Gloomhaven is how many times you get to go through your deck before exhausting (you permanently discard a card every time you re-shuffle your deck into your hand, as well as for other reasons like avoiding damage or extra-powerful effects). Thus how many rounds it takes to complete a scenario-objective is a primary design unit. I am curious how they are going to either 1) build that into a more open RPG environment (where GMs will be home-brewing scenarios and such), or 2) not building it in and still keeping the game aesthetically Gloomhaven-esque (as opposed to any old TTRPG just set in the Gloomhaven world).

I think limiting rounds works great for a skirmish game. Spurs people into action.

MGibster

Legend
I'm a minis guy, and I am 100% backing this! I paint pretty efficiently, but 600 at once is still a daunting prospect. I got about 200 from Reaper 5.5 and that took me just shy of a month so this...will be months of fun!
Those of us who are about to paint salute you!

Clint_L

Hero
600 minis? I'm interested.
Card-based RPG? I'm ... I dunno.
Oh, if you've never played Gloomhaven I highly recommend! It's a great way to play an RPG without a DM - in some ways, it's more like a highly detailed co-operative boardgame such as Eldritch Horror. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it; it's been at or near the top of tabletop gaming conversations since it launched around a decade ago.

Retreater

Legend
Oh, if you've never played Gloomhaven I highly recommend! It's a great way to play an RPG without a DM - in some ways, it's more like a highly detailed co-operative boardgame such as Eldritch Horror. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it; it's been at or near the top of tabletop gaming conversations since it launched around a decade ago.
Oh, I've heard of Gloomhaven - even played it once. The setup (and clean up) was a little much, but the game was fun enough. Just not sure how well those mechanics would translate to a TTRPG.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Biggest disappointment for me. Was looking for a story oriented boardgame dungeon delver, but the theme was just too grim, the mechanics unsatisfying and the PC options weird. It got to the table once and has since sat on the shelf. I was planning to paint the minis and sell it, but I‘ve had more fun things to do. An RPG based on this has even less appeal.

Remove ads

Remove ads