Gloomhaven RPG Will Have More Than 600 Miniatures

A certain million-dollar crowdfunder

GHRPG_2_07bef3c7-3b65-4272-b9a6-9becb6fe0cb9_1000x.jpg

Crowdfunding on Kickstarter competitor Backerkit on June 20th, the official tabletop RPG of the popular Gloomhaven boardgame will come loaded with more than 600 miniatures.

There will be a core set of 250+ minis, with add-ons offering many more.

Miniatures tend to push Kickstarters into the upper echelons, and with Gloomhaven's existing following it seems likely that this will very easily (and quickly) join the million dollar Kickstarter club. Already 30,000 people have signed up to follow the campaign, and it's still two months away.

The RPG book and card set itself will contain 8 ancestries, 16 classes, plus backgrounds, skills, and attributes.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
What’s the time line? I’m so used to Kickstarter and where the planned fulfillment location is I keep overlooking it on backerkit right now.

Found it….nvm.

CapnZapp

Legend
That’s a lot of miniatures but most of them are multiples of the same sculpt. Disappointing.
A party of heroes that never has to face ten orcs or half a dozen ghouls is a very rare party indeed.

Of course they were going to include multiple copies of the same sculpts.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'm not familiar with the Gloomhaven world. Is the full set of minis usable as a fairly generic base set for fantasy rpgs, for someone who doesn't already have a big collection of minis?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not familiar with the Gloomhaven world. Is the full set of minis usable as a fairly generic base set for fantasy rpgs, for someone who doesn't already have a big collection of minis?
Yes. They are all there on the backerkit site. I'd say that a large percent are "generic" enough......OTOH, I could maybe just sell you some minis....as I might thin my hoard. Let me know.

Clint_L

Hero
A party of heroes that never has to face ten orcs or half a dozen ghouls is a very rare party indeed.

Of course they were going to include multiple copies of the same sculpts.
Well, not necessarily. Reaper typically includes multiple versions of the same creature; there is very little repetition of sculpts. Less than 10% of the miniatures in a Reaper KS are duplicates; probably less than 5%. Other KSs, like Dungeons and Lasers, use sprues (and multiple poses), so you can customize.

This KS gives you, typically, 6 identical copies of each creature. That makes it handy for starting a collection, if you don't mind that degree of repetition, but makes it much less appealing to an established collector.

I can have a party face 40 orcs and none of them are identical. I am always looking for new sculpts, and I like many of the ones in this KS. But of those 600 miniatures, the large majority would be duplicates. So that is much less appealing. If they had a tier that was just one of each sculpt, I would back it.

Anyhow, this is not a criticism of what they are doing - their KS is designed to replace standees with physical miniatures and it does that. It just doesn't work for me, so I'm disappointed. I don't think they'll miss me.

Clint_L

Hero
It's a bit narrowly focused - I wouldn't recommend it as a starting place for D&D; it's very much designed with their specific games in mind.

Staffan

Legend
That’s a lot of miniatures but most of them are multiples of the same sculpt. Disappointing.
The minis are primarily meant for use instead of standees with the board games. In the board games, you can have between 4 and 10 instances of each monster, so of course you need 4-10 of each monster in the minis sets as well.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I do like the bands and numbers, that's a nice touch (as you need them for the board game, but having them for an RPG is great). But, come on, I'll be done with Gloomhaven or Frosthaven by the time the minis are even made, let alone delivered.

CapnZapp

Legend
The minis are primarily meant for use instead of standees with the board games. In the board games, you can have between 4 and 10 instances of each monster, so of course you need 4-10 of each monster in the minis sets as well.
Thing is, the topic title of this thread can easily give the impression the minis are for the roleplaying game.

Remove ads

Remove ads