• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E GMs of EN World: What player behavior annoys you the most?

neobolts

Explorer
1. My biggest peeve is the phone use. If it isn't a break, you shouldn't have your phone out. There's obvious exceptions: 1) Looking up D&D related info 2) Responding to an unexpected call or text.

These session 0 rules are great:
Some of my session 0 rules:
* Be engaged in the story and go with it
* Work with the other players / PCs

2. Overly disruptive characters are my second biggest pet peeve. Not "my gnome is a jackass" or "my rogue dips into pockets now and again"...I'm talking about all disruption all the time. This would be: actively disliking other PCs to the point of dysfunction, going against party plans, or willfully opposing all adventure hooks. For example, I was in a group where another player (a longtime friend) wrote down the flaw "RUINS THE PARTY'S PLANS."

3. Thirdly -- and this is my greatest sin as a player or DM -- derailing the game with off-topic chatter.
Hypothetical example:
A parrot dies in game.
Player A: "This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be."
::riotous laughter::
Me, as DM: ::launches into 20 minute discussion of the best Monty Python skits of all time, dragging my players into the discussion with me.::

neobolts

Explorer
I’m as a keen a player as the next person, but in the PotA campaign I was playing in I would regularly forget key things that happened from one session to the next. I wasn’t trying to be unhelpful, I just didn’t have the investment/context that a DM has. (I always know what’s happening/important as the DM). What made matters worse is the DM did not recap the adventure so far, so eventually I had no idea what we were doing or why :) yes I could have made extensive notes I suppose (one of the players did fortunately) but I was there to immerse myself in the moment and have fun.

PotA seemed very disjointed, to be fair. Week to week, our group would always be like "last time we wandered somewhere and one or more elemental subcults that were or weren't working together engaged us there". Even our DM was dissatisfied with the direction in that campaign, and felt it made a poor sandbox if that was the intent. He eventually scrapped it rather than try to fix it.

Donnor80

First Post
So, as a GM, nothing to me is more important than the flow of the game, or the atmosphere I am trying to create. When a player whips out their soapbox DURING THE GAME and starts a tirade about why a rule is stupid or why another player made that decision, it is all I can do to not terminate our personal relationship and strip them from the game. Endless scrutiny and judgement belong in middle school, right where I left it. I cannot believe how self centered and attention driven grown ass people are these days, I mean, I love a lively debate about rules or constructive criticism, but BEFORE/AFTER the game!

snafuy

First Post
A lot of the annoyances expressed in this thread look like examples of The Paper Towel Problem. https://marco.org/2012/02/25/right-vs-pragmatic

Instead of repeatedly pushing back against people behaving the wrong way, there are often simple changes that would make it easier to do things the right way.

Character concepts that don't fit the campaign? That's the DM's failure to get everyone on the same page. https://snafuy.github.io/samepage2/

Players who can't keep track of their pluses, DCs, etc? That's a design failure of either the wrong character sheet or the wrong character build. For example, a caster should have exactly one spell save DC, and that number should be in a prominent box at the top of their spell sheet.

Dice constantly rolling off the table? Give the player an empty game box to throw into.

Players looking at their phones instead of staying involved? That's probably on them. Nevertheless, it's a problem you might be able to fix by talking to them out of game.

A lot of the annoyances expressed in this thread look like examples of The Paper Towel Problem. https://marco.org/2012/02/25/right-vs-pragmatic

Instead of repeatedly pushing back against people behaving the wrong way, there are often simple changes that would make it easier to do things the right way.

Character concepts that don't fit the campaign? That's the DM's failure to get everyone on the same page. https://snafuy.github.io/samepage2/

Players who can't keep track of their pluses, DCs, etc? That's a design failure of either the wrong character sheet or the wrong character build. For example, a caster should have exactly one spell save DC, and that number should be in a prominent box at the top of their spell sheet.

Dice constantly rolling off the table? Give the player an empty game box to throw into.

Players looking at their phones instead of staying involved? That's probably on them. Nevertheless, it's a problem you might be able to fix by talking to them out of game.
Your point is well-taken, and buying a dice-box is a solution to dice rolling off the table.

However, this is "What player behavior annoys you the most?"

And it says something about my players that the most annoying thing I could think of is how they roll dice. Something positive. :)

tyler ppp

First Post
If you come near my minis or scenery I spend alot of free time on with your dorito/cheetos fingers I will cut them the F%#* OFF!

Luckily I have all health conscience people these days who would rather play games then gorge themselves on fastfood and alcohol.

I will never invite new players without meeting them a few times first and making sure they are someone that I can enjoy spending time with.

Bad hygiene and knowitalls would be a close second.

I think the point that some of this is on the GM is totally true, especially in communicating setting, but sometimes the GM can provide all the context in the world and it still doesn't help.

For example, say you have a draconian caste based society and one player wants to play a revolutionary peasant face character. Fine, cool concept, totally works. That player then proceeds to backtalk, insult and belittle the local nobility at every opportunity.

He's then surprised, after I've given him multiple warnings in-game, when he is arrested. I'd even explain what usually happens to peasant revolutions and he'd become more resistant. I think he figured having really high charisma would get him out of it.

A GM has only so much control over the way the players see the campaign and you often can't pick what way they'll actually take their character concept, especially is they want to shake things up. I think that's why you can end up with sudden sexual abuse in their backstory.

Last edited:

Remove ads