• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good rant on the news page

Menexenus

First Post
Me 3

I just want to add to the tsunami of posters who all have the same viewpoint:

1. ENWorld rocks!
2. Morrus *really* rocks!
3. *Every* D20 publisher should lick Morrus's boots for all that he and ENWorld have done for them.

I think we're all in agreement here. Motion carried! :)

Vampyrknight

First Post
A Hearty Thanks to ENWorld and All Its Work

Morrus's rant is, quite simply, eye opening. As a gamer and purchaser of d20 system products, I've long used this site as a way of to determine what products I buy and what to look forward to. Almost on a daily basis (hurricanes not withstanding), there is some news of interest to look at. Though I don't normally post too often on the messageboards (and barely can give them a glance with what must be done in a single day), when I have taken a look at them, there is a wealth of information, humor, and help, showing just how large this community is (and though large, yes, WotC still can't boast of the impressive size compared to ENWorld).

What this site is to many of us can't really be expressed in words. That publishers and game designers (Monte Cook and the others Morrus mentioned not included, of course :D) have become what they hated and see ENWorld and the valuable service it provides them only as a service Morrus should have to pay them for is absolutely despicable. They have forgotten what makes any business, really, the customer, the very people that frequent sites like this.

Morrus has every right to rant on this. Not only do some countries have laws protecting Free Speech (the U.S. even has a Constitutional Amendment for that purpose) but what these companies have done demands a wider response than just placating them and their fantastically large egos. They need their eyes opened to just the problem they're creating by not supporting sites like this and further, by overlooking their customers. That is, simply put, not good business.

It is the customers who buy the products and customers who continue to buy future products. Customers buy products based on what others say about them but also based on the company producing it. I tend to buy WotC stuff simply because, once upon a time, they did put out good products and some still are good. Yes, they've gone the route of big business, stepping on the little guy and thinking they will always be around, not caring about who's buying their products because they think someone will just because it's them who produced it. Alienating the consumers through that thinking only ends up causing companies to close down or other drastic measures.

In closing, I'd just like to add in one thing: Morrus, as already expressed on the boards hundreds of times before, this site and your work are invaluable to the gaming community and to d20 gamers specifically. If the publishers and game designers don't see this, then it is there loss. The fans support your site whole heartedly.

VampyrKnight

Emiricol

Good lord! Morrus, you provide a great community and yes, a service. I love it here, and more importantly to any publishers out there listening - every 3rd party product I have ever purchased, EVER has been due to reviews and more often, buzz, here at EN World. Every 3rd party product. All of them.

Not sure how I can be more clear than that.

MEG Hal

First Post
Menexenus said:
I just want to add to the tsunami of posters who all have the same viewpoint:

1. ENWorld rocks!
2. Morrus *really* rocks!
3. *Every* D20 publisher should lick Morrus's boots for all that he and ENWorld have done for them.

Not be be harping in on the lynching of d20 publishers but:

1. I agreed 100% until today--now I will have to see
2. I have met and drank with Russ and I do feel he is a really nice guy, I like him.
3. This is why I want to walk away from this "community". I do not feel very welcome here when this is the undertone of this "community".

This is a sad day for me as a friend of this board.

I will not be back to this thread, but thought you should see both sides of the site.

Crothian

First Post
Menexenus said:

You are so far out in left field I can barely see you. This is the type of responses that will end the community. Things like this will drive away people. Hal is truely one the best guys in gaming I have ever meet. He is one of the few that will take time to participate and befriend a lot of the coimmunity through fun, good will, and participation. He's reaction is to be expected when people post things like this. The publishers should not have to do anything. Sure, EN World has been good for them, but no one can truely say how good. It differs company to company, person to person.

With attitudes like this it even makes me question being here. :(

Lichtenhart

First Post
MEG Hal said:
I will not be back to this thread, but thought you should see both sides of the site.

If you happen to come back though, Hal, maybe you'd be pleased to know that not everyone has forgotten what you have done for this site too.

So Morrus *rocks* but surely Hal and co. *rock* too.

Russ was ranting, but we people should know a friend when we meet one.

Emiricol

I wonder when "liking EN World" started meaning "hates D20 publishers"? I surely don't. Also not sure why publishers should lick Morrus' boots. I think EN World and 3rd party publishers have kind of a symbiosis here, if they let themselves.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If we ever say "d20 publishers ought to lick EN World's boots," and we're not playing a game of Paranoia at the time, then *I'M* out of here. Yeah, the site helps publishers -- and a lot of publishers help the site. As Emiricol says, we'd like a symbiosis and partnership with the folks who want to be here.

I think what folks don't see is that there are a lot of haughty, demanding publishers who sometimes forget and treat us like it's our duty to post uneditied every press release they give us... and they never give anything back to the site. I don't have a lot of patience for those folks.

Remove ads