• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Things to Gate

saucercrab

Explorer
Using the calling function of the gate spell, what are some good (& I don't mean the alignment) creatures to call? I've seen gate threads in the past, but don't remember any dealing with specifics of what's useful to call. Any links will, of course, be appreciated as well.

I've gone through a lot of the books, & aside from the staples in the MM (the solar, balor, pit fiend hat trick), it looks like the ELH (not even counting abominations) & Draconomicon (planar dragons, with some additional varities in Dragon #321) have the best choices.

Also, are abominations even able to be gated in?

saucercrab

Explorer
Damn, over 70 views, but no replies? Am I to think that my original thoughts about the ELH & Drac are right on the money, no input needed? But I'm usually never right... :heh:

Lord Wyrm

First Post
There's always the demon lords and arch devils from BoVD, though you might want to be a bit cautious with that particular use. ;)

saucercrab

Explorer
Nah, since they're unique beings, they wouldn't have to come through. Although, for a good character, trying to gate a celestial paragon might not be a bad idea; possibly setting up an appointment beforehand, to help smooth things along. :D

Thanks, though.

Eloi

First Post
A Solar is a better choice if the party's Cleric happens to know one (gets his spells from him, that sort of thing). Knowing an entity like that, particularly on a first-name basis, tends to take the fight right out of most big baddies.. who then amscray.

Aaron L

Hero
Solars. Gate solars!!!! I gated in a solar while fighting the big bad great wyrm red dragon BBEG of a long campain and made it run away, several times ina row! Damage reduction vs. Epic is a "good thing"

saucercrab

Explorer
Crap, I totally forgot I had this thread! :eek:

Yeah, solars are pretty diesel, but those planar dragons can have three times the HP, a better AC, & better attack bonus (not to mention that grapple check modifier). And the eligible critters in the ELH have some really nasty abilities; I know of at least one special attack that sucks even if you make the save.

Hammerhead

Explorer
andargor said:
Gating a fence is always a good idea.

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :)

Andargor

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I know a good place you could fence a gate. The black market is rather large for antique gates.

saucercrab

Explorer
I'd have to side with Hammerhead.

I don't know of any fences that have the (extraplanar) subtype, & those dwarves always have those massive gates hanging around their ruins, some of them made of adamantine or mithral. :D

(Is there any hope of this thread maintaining its original focus?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads