Got TOME OF BEASTS For 5E? You'll Want These Minis, Too!

Tome of Beasts, from Kobold Press, has proved a popular book - an enormous collection of more than 400 new monsters for your 5E game. However, it gets even better when you consider this Kickstarter from Effincool Minis, who are producing metal miniatures for the book. The Kickstarter is for 20 "core" miniatures from the book, with added minis for various stretch goals - they're funded and up to 23 of them so far with an ultimate goal for 50 to 60 miniatures.

Tome of Beasts, from Kobold Press, has proved a popular book - an enormous collection of more than 400 new monsters for your 5E game. However, it gets even better when you consider this Kickstarter from Effincool Minis, who are producing metal miniatures for the book. The Kickstarter is for 20 "core" miniatures from the book, with added minis for various stretch goals - they're funded and up to 23 of them so far with an ultimate goal for 50 to 60 miniatures.

For $40 you can pick six miniatures from the core set, and for $80 you can choose 12. $120 gets you the full 20 core set of miniatures. You an also add on miniatures from the stretch goal set as they are unlocked.

koboldminis.jpg
SaveSave

daplunk

First Post
[FONT=&quot]I want these models so bad, hell I asked the Kobold Press guys to look into this a year ago, but not enough to go in for this Kickstarter.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bones and CoolMiniOrNot have completely shifted the market IMO. A kickstarter with those guys gets you a lovely plastic/resin mini coming in around 70c ea. This one you're looking at $6-7 ea and thats before shipping which is a bloody scary concept when you consider the weight of the metal.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don't want one each of these, I want to build skirmish parties, and I can't afford to give up the liver to do that :([/FONT]

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
Oh man, just the other day I was thinking that I'd love to have minis of some of the creatures in ToB. But I'm not interested in metal minis. I've been spoiled by the prepainted plastic ones.

Thanks for looking

As a small company that produces miniatures, it is a very tough situation we are in. CMON and Reaper are both very amazing companies, but they are both also very large companies. You are correct that they have shifted the market demographic for miniatures use, but we simply are not dealing in quantities that make outsourcing to Chinese manufacturing a realistic proposition. I am sorry that we are unable to produce a product that competes on their price point for you. :blush:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The $7 a mini falls in line with the reaper metal prices, maybe a bit cheaper. I'll be checking the Kickstarter as it winds down and then join. The October 2017 "seems" like a long time but it will be here before you know it!

daplunk

First Post
The $7 a mini falls in line with the reaper metal prices, maybe a bit cheaper. I'll be checking the Kickstarter as it winds down and then join. The October 2017 "seems" like a long time but it will be here before you know it!

It's nothing personal against you guys. I've backed your mini's before and they are lovely.

It's just they are metal. I hate gluing metal together, I hate trying to protect metal painted minis from chipping, I hate just having metal minis around the house. I have 2x kids who love spending time with dad when hes in the game room and that's where Bones have really become beneficial. I can give my kids a handful of monsters to play with and be completely confident that they are not going to break them.

Tome of Beasts was so massively successful that I believe a Kickstarter done in a fashion similar to Bones for these monsters has the potential to be a massive success. And yes, your Kickstarter has funded and will grow over time, it's clear it will not be as successful as I assume it could be if this was offering plastic / resin mini's at a cheaper price point.

It's just an opinion. But ultimately Kickstarter is all about funding people's ideas and feedback is an important part of that process.

I live in Australia and there is no mention of this being an Oceanic or UK friendly Kickstarter which leaves me even more fearful of the potential shipping costs.

Right now I could not justify the cost given the value I am getting from Kickstarters like Bones and Massive Darkness.

Best of luck of course and do let us know if these are ever released in plastic/resin.

Thank you for the praise, and I am very sorry you wont be joining us for this Kickstarter. All of the reasons you have given are valid reasons for sure. The shipping issues are just a monster when it comes to Australia and New Zealand. :-(

I understand the issues that you might have with price point or plastic/resin vs metal miniatrues. The fact is that we are a small company. The only way to get things cheaper is to outsource them to China for production as plastic pieces similar to what Reaper has done with Bones. This is just not in the budget of a smaller company. Sorry you feel that it was a wrong choice for Kobold Press to go with us on this.

Remove ads

Remove ads