GOTHAM Gets Official Full Series Order at Fox

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like Gordon and all, but I'd much rather watch Batman. Instead I get Batman-wannabe Arrow (which is a great show, but it should be Batman!) and Batman's foes as children in Gotham City. Gah! I know they have these weird rules about what properties can be used in different formats lest we all get horribly confused and start mistaking Batman for My Little Pony or something, but I would so love to see a well-made Batman show.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like Gordon and all, but I'd much rather watch Batman.

I think we can all agree on that.

What I'll be searching for is a purpose beyond just setting the table. An interesting story about how Gotham City is different from other cities, and how it gets to be the way it is. How and why its criminals get so theatrical and strange. Why it ultimately will need a strange hero. I'm not sure how satisfying that story will be.

hopeless

Adventurer
Hmm...

Makes me wish they reveal someone intervened preventing Bruce's parents killer from killing him.

Is it bad I wish they'd reveal someone using the identity of the Gray Ghost to actively try to fight crime in Gotham and in the process inspire Bruce?

The police can only do so much and its fine to have Gordon be the central character but where there so much dark and grittyness you need something to prevent this turning into another CSI or Law & Order something to set it apart using the Batman Universe to do so.

And if you don't want Batman then you need someone else...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's weird. I don't usually watch US police/crime dramas; they're not really my thing. I know I'll try this, when I wouldn't' normally, simply because I'm a Batman fan and so the word "Gotham" will draw me in. Which is ironic, because the word Gotham only has attraction to me in the context of Batman.... and he's not in it.

Derren

Hero
I am not all that impressed.

Too much focus on Bruce and teeny soon to be supervillains. What has this to do with Gordon and police work in Gotham? And I do not want a Smallville situation where every hero and villain knew each other from childhood.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Like "Dark Knight Returns", a lot of comic geekdom makes a big fuss about "Batman: Year One" in which Batman barely appears, and the story is about Gordon as a Jr Police Detective--mr clean in a cesspit of corrupt police. This, to me, is (yet another) one of those over-hyped geekfests.
I sincerely hope this show doesn't follow that path.
Or the Smallville soap-opera path either.

I think part of what gave Green Arrow the popularity to get his own show was the Season 6 Smallville where he chews out Clark for just sitting on the sidelines instead of getting off his ass to actually help people.
Superman should not be a moping angsty teenager! And I don't want to see Smallville General Hospital room 271 through 275 again! (seems like every week, someone was in the hospital, just so they could get some mileage out of the set.)

I also don't want (yet another) show where everyone is a manipulative scumbag out to screw over everyone else. You know--the type of show which feels like swimming in a cesspool of humanity.

On the other hand, ordinary cops having to deal with rampaging psychos or other strange criminals suddenly cropping up could be interesting.

Remove ads