GOTHAM Gets Official Full Series Order at Fox

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You just sounds really negative toward a show you haven't seen.

I am very dubious. Thus the questions to those who have seen it.

Same things folks were saying before it aired over there. Only now some of you are in a position to shed some light on it.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well my question is... assuming the Dark Knight and the other most recent movies where Batman makes his appearance... how was the state of the police force and the mayor's office at that point?

I know there was a ton of crime and people weren't feeling safe, but how corrupted were the officials and the police? Maybe Jim isn't supposed to clean up the entire city, maybe all he's supposed to do is just clean house and make it so that when Batman shows himself he isn't shot in the back of the head by a police officer or something.

I know I'm not entirely sure where exactly the show is going to go, but the first episode drew me in well enough that I'm willing at least for now to sit back, enjoy the ride and see where it takes me.

Stormonu

Legend
Having read parts of Batman: Year One, there's a lot in store for Gordan, and there's a lot he can do without actually taking down Falconi and the like. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of Gordan's interaction with Cobblepot - they'll be the Smallville Clark Kent/Lex Luthor dynamic betwen the two: I'm pretty sure they'll be working towards similar goals from opposite angles. Gordan's going to be slowly working on cleaning out the low-level bad guys as will Cobblepot; though in Cobblepot's case it's so he can take their place. Expect season finale face-offs between the two.

I hope we'll see "growth spurts" in Bruce throughout the series; it'd be nice if we see him as a teenager and starting to involve himself in facing down low-level thugs like in Batman: Year One. Otherwise bleh - it's another Blue Bloods with DC names in it.

And I absolutely hate the "catwoman" bits. All we've seen is her slink around. Not a drop of dialogue, backstory or anything other than "eye candy" (as I can best describe it).

Crothian

First Post
And I absolutely hate the "catwoman" bits. All we've seen is her slink around. Not a drop of dialogue, backstory or anything other than "eye candy" (as I can best describe it).

She is like 15 so I'm not sure calling her eye candy is appropriate. I like them because of this. Its showing us a character that will become important later.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well my question is... assuming the Dark Knight and the other most recent movies where Batman makes his appearance... how was the state of the police force and the mayor's office at that point?

I know there was a ton of crime and people weren't feeling safe, but how corrupted were the officials and the police?

Pretty bad. Carmine Falcone owned judges and the cops. This scene summarizes it well:

[video=youtube;Xg913f8Tjqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg913f8Tjqc[/video]

EricNoah

Adventurer
Pithy or not I agree with Crothian - the show is definitely about how Gotham goes from A to B ("A" place with no costumed heroes or villains, to "B"atman and friends). Also about how a good guy who initially really has no chance of changing the status quo builds key relationships that allow him to be one of Batman's go-to guys.

Note that I'm not saying this is necessarily a good reason to make a TV show, or a satisfying way. I suspect for many it will just be a frustration.

edit: I will add, I was one of those who had no problem with much of Smallville's meanderings and ultimate destination. I did enjoy the ride. I also didn't have a problem with a show like Lost where the journey really overshadowed the destination (I admit it was a letdown but it doesn't spoil the rest of the experience for me). An interesting journey is worth it for me.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
edit: I will add, I was one of those who had no problem with much of Smallville's meanderings and ultimate destination. I did enjoy the ride. I also didn't have a problem with a show like Lost where the journey really overshadowed the destination (I admit it was a letdown but it doesn't spoil the rest of the experience for me). An interesting journey is worth it for me.

Smallville was a guilty pleasure for me. It's main appeal for me, though, was that there *was* a clear journey: Clark becoming Superman, albeit very slowly and often frustratingly. Gordon doesn't really change. Or does he? I don't know how he's portrayed in this, other than that there's no moustache. He's still the good cop in a city of bad cops?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Smallville was a guilty pleasure for me. It's main appeal for me, though, was that there *was* a clear journey: Clark becoming Superman, albeit very slowly and often frustratingly. Gordon doesn't really change. Or does he? I don't know how he's portrayed in this, other than that there's no moustache. He's still the good cop in a city of bad cops?

Maybe think of the city as the star of the show, instead of Gordon?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe think of the city as the star of the show, instead of Gordon?

That's kinda what I was asking. How does the city evolve to the point where Batman is needed? Presumably it starts off corrupt, and it'll stay corrupt, and then Batman will appear in 20 years? I heard Falcone is the big crime lord, just like he is 20 years later? Corrupt cops like Bullock are around at both ends of the arc?

The only angle I can think of is the birth of the Batman rogues' gallery. I guess if *they* are the main stars, that could work.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have a few weeks to wait, unfortunately, but I definitely plan to give it a shot, doubts notwithstanding.

EricNoah

Adventurer
That's kinda what I was asking. How does the city evolve to the point where Batman is needed? Presumably it starts off corrupt, and it'll stay corrupt, and then Batman will appear in 20 years? I heard Falcone is the big crime lord, just like he is 20 years later? Corrupt cops like Bullock are around at both ends of the arc?

The only angle I can think of is the birth of the Batman rogues' gallery. I guess if *they* are the main stars, that could work.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have a few weeks to wait, unfortunately, but I definitely plan to give it a shot, doubts notwithstanding.

I think I can say without getting too spoliery that we will see shades of evil, flavors of corruption, and power struggles within the bad guy camp. Also can say without getting too spoilery that in fact Gordon does change, at least a little, even over the course of just the first episode.

Remove ads