Gravity

Water Bob

Adventurer
I saw it tonight. It blew me away. AMAZING film. Touched me. Left me in awe.

This is one to definitely pay extra and see in IMAX 3D.

I think my jaw was open for the first half hour.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
How did a woman that badly trained and psychologically damaged get passed and approved for a space mission.
Visually beautiful.
Writing was horrid. Understanding of physics just stupid.

Visually beautiful.
Writing was horrid. Understanding of physics just stupid.

Visually beautiful. Writing was definitely nowhere as good as the critical high praise for the movie leads one to believe. Understanding of physics was well understood as abundant interviews about production indicated, they were just deliberately ignored where convenient for sake of storytelling.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
It was kinda hard to judge this one. Visually Stunning. Beautiful effects work. Horrible sound track. Gaping holes in physics. There was no reason for the separation of Clooney & Bullock when she's hanging from the parachute cords--they are at rest relative to the space station. If she is so short on Oxygen, why is Clooney constantly making her talk and burn through her supply? The really BIG question: How did someone this poorly trained and psychologically unsound even get approved to go into space in the first place? The only way this film works is if, 10 minutes in, Bullock's character (who is hyper-ventilating like mad) actually goes into a hallucinatory coma, and the rest of the movie is a dream. But, does that mean she ends up dreaming about dreaming? Nice fetal imagery and rebirth sequence, but was it really necessary? Too much of this movie was utter nonsense that dragged me out of any emotional attachment. And again, what's with the blaring, odious, obnoxious soundtrack? Well done drama doesn't need that heavy-handed over-bearing noise. Try using some subtlety for a change. On the other hand, the person I saw this with was emotionally exhausted and wrecked by the ordeal, and thought the movie was f-ing brilliant. Decide for yourself.
The floating pens were kinda overdone, though it was fun when she batted one out of the way.

They deliberately ignored physics? Then they deliberately ruined the main selling point of the movie!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Great movie. As usual nitpicked to death by the internet.

I'm sorry, I wish I could turn off my brain and just enjoy a movie, but when the writing is inconsistent with the rules of the world the movie is set in (not just a minor thing, but a major change, repeatedly, and blatantly), to the point where I feel that the writer/director is slapping me in the face with a dumb-stick, I balk. Emoting over substance doesn't draw me in. But that is my failing.

Heck, we didn't even touch the fact that the various space stations are in such radically different orbits that none of the hopping between done in the movie was remotely possible.

Crothian

First Post
It has nothing to do with turning your brain off. If you did that you'd be dead. If you can't enjoy this type of movie then I don't see why you'd see it in the first place. These are mistakes Hollywood always makes and it is nothing new.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yeah, didn't see the preview. Only went because that is what the other person wanted to see, and this time it wasn't Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler, or I would have squwacked.

Remove ads