Great movies you might not have heard of.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Ah yes, the Resurrected: That was good. There was also The Unnamable, and Unnamable 2. Sadly, only the second one was released on DVD (Ryhs Davies and David Warner beefed up the cast a bit).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Resurrecting this thread because I just popped the new NIN CD in my car's changer, and it reminded me of another movie, the Hungarian thriller Kontroll. Nicely done, with elements of comedy, heroism, and either insanity or a bit of the supernatural...

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Ach. Blood of Heroes and Slipstream. Man, I haven't thought about those movies in ages.

I'm not sure Kung Fu Hustle is obscure. You might as well mention Shaolin Soccer too.

I'm not sure if these are "obscure" or just foreign, but Nightwatch & Daywatch; The Good, The Bad, and The Weird; and Judge Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame are all pretty cool.

Other movies that I've given 5 stars on Netflix (but don't always remember why): Harry Brown; Moon; The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch; Chocolate (Thai martial arts film); Defiance; Jar City; Winter's Bone (fricking amazing and haunting; Jennifer Lawrence has my eternal respect because of this movie); Sound of Noise; Black Death; MirrorMask; The Secret of Kells (breathtaking animation); Tomorrow When The War Began (Aussie Red Dawn); Hogfather (about a thousand times better than I expected); London Boulevard;

Nellisir

Hero
Saw those. Interesting, but they didn't completely grab me. Definitely worth seeing at least once, though.

Ayup.

I watched all of those on Netflix, but a lot of them are not available to stream anymore. Some of them I don't recollect, particularly The Heir Apparent, Jar City, Black Death, Defiance, and London Boulevard. Clearly I thought they were good (or I wanted them to sway my Netflix recommendations). I'd particularly like to watch Jar City again, as I've since read a lot more Scandinavian crime fiction, including the book Jar City.

I'm gonna suggest Heathers because it's an extremely dark deconstruction of the other teen movies of the 80s

But be prepared for tons of Harsher in hindsight due to everything that's gone on in between the movie's release back in 89 and now regarding teen violance

Last edited:

Remove ads