• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greg Bilsland on Manual of the Planes

Greg Bilsland has posted a bit about Manual of The Planes on the Gleemax forums.

I’m still working on Manual of the Planes. I finished up with the monsters, and I’ll say this—there’ll be no shortage of high-level threats. The book contains 28 creatures, including 1 archdevil and 2 demon princes. The book does include a playable race, as well. There are also some paragon- and heroic-level threats, several of which are new creatures specifically oriented toward the Shadowfell or Feywild. I’m eager to try a few out, and I’m also looking forward to when the characters in my campaign are high enough level to start venturing into the Elemental Chaos and the Astral Sea; I can’t say I’ve ever been so eager to give my players the chance to explore the planes before.

Currently, I’m focused on editing the paragon paths, rituals, and magic items. The paragon paths offer a variety of class- and race-based options. Some are traditional options based on prestige classes that existed in 3.5, and a few are new. They are also not exclusive to planar campaigns. Although the paragon paths make more sense in a campaign that features a planar element, that’s not a condition. I can only see one or two that would work poorly in a non-planar campaign. Similarly, the items all have planar components, but many would appeal to a character adventuring in the world.

Graf

Explorer
Assimar?
Most of the other "planar races" were painful.

Unless... modrons?
Gosh that'd be sweet.
"I think therefore I am... I think"

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I already have this book and I have a few observations to share:

1. The artwork is really, really cool. I especially like the full-page landscape on page 84 and the outsider mix on page 33.

2. Astral Gnomes rock!

3. They completely redid the githzerai and githyanki races, combining them both into sub-races of a new race called the "gish" that only have one class. The new class is a cool mix of fighter and mage, but it won't satisfy anyone...ever.

4. My house rules are better than yours.

5. They nerfed crystal spheres. They are now crystal d12's and I hate them with an unmitigated rage beyond all reasonable expectations but I'm not going to tell you why.

;)

Aldarc

Legend
TarionzCousin said:
I already have this book and I have a few observations to share:

1. The artwork is really, really cool. I especially like the full-page landscape on page 84 and the outsider mix on page 33.

2. Astral Gnomes rock!

3. They completely redid the githzerai and githyanki races, combining them both into sub-races of a new race called the "gish" that only have one class. The new class is a cool mix of fighter and mage, but it won't satisfy anyone...ever.

4. My house rules are better than yours.

5. They nerfed crystal spheres. They are now crystal d12's and I hate them with an unmitigated rage beyond all reasonable expectations but I'm not going to tell you why.
Any other details that you would be willing to reveal if you really do have this book somehow?

Zogmo

First Post
Above all else in D&D I love Planescape. Can't wait to get this book!

This will be where the Githzerai are introduced as a playable race I think.

Remove ads