• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Greyhawk 4e: Back to the Beginning...

bastrak

First Post
Based on what WotC did to the Forgotten Realms and most of the 4e fluff to date I shudder to think what would probably happen to Greyhawk with a 4e revision.

:.-(

ggroy

First Post
Bacause:
  • I would like some of the mechanics updated to 4e.
  • My copies of the original Gazetteer are long gone.
  • I never bought the boxed set in the first place.
  • I would really like to have a codified collection of Greyhawk lore in one or two easy to read books.
  • I would rather buy a shiny new Player's and Campagin guide than buy a beat up copy on eBay.
  • I am completely uninterested in the 2e developments.
  • I have the disposable income to do so.

Same here.

Possibly some of my grognard 1E AD&D friends could even be convinced to pick up a copy of a possible 4E Greyhawk campaign setting guide, if it is relatively crunch-lite and doesn't have much if any of the canon baggage from the 2E AD&D era.

For a 4E Greyhawk player's guide, I wonder what new classes and races it could include. If there isn't enough new crunch material for a possible 4E Greyhawk player's guide, perhaps WotC may just only release a 4E Greyhawk campaign guide and an adventure module set in Greyhawk.

With respect to Greyhawk canon, some of my 1E grognard friends completely embraced all the canon which was released during 2E AD&D from both the TSR and the WotC eras.

On the other hand, a few different 1E grognard friends ignored most of the canon from the 2E era. They thought the Greyhawk wars were a total abomination. For these particular hardcore 1E grognards, I think the only thing which would make them happy enough to want to buy a 4E Greyhawk campaign setting book, would be if the setting is frozen in time to before the wars started, or if the setting was shifted 100 years or more into the future such that the Greyhawk wars are a distant memory.

EATherrian

First Post
My question to those quoting that list above is which mechanics should be updated. I never really felt that there was that much crunch in Greyhawk so I'm interested to see what I'm forgetting. I'm a sucker for Greyhawk, I may not really like 4E that much but I do play it but anything Greyhawk I would buy now since I've cut my gaming purchases down so much it would be worth it whether I play it or not.

Baron Opal

First Post
Mechanics-wise, I would like Channel Divinity feats for the greater gods. Also, a scheme for the Scarlet Brotherhood since they were filled with rogue, assassin and monks. Since they were humans they also had a lot of dual classing going on. That can probably be done with multiclassing, however.

Part of the pattern of player's guides has been new races and feats. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Unfortunatly, I percieve this as a strike against the future of the books. That's one of the reasons I think that a pair of books from Greyhawk circa 1983 (?) would have the best chance for selling.

ggroy

First Post
Part of the pattern of player's guides has been new races and feats. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Unfortunatly, I percieve this as a strike against the future of the books. That's one of the reasons I think that a pair of books from Greyhawk circa 1983 (?) would have the best chance for selling.

There's the option of breaking the 3-book per setting pattern. They could make one hardcover setting book for Greyhawk which outlines the world, politics, history, ruins of castle greyhawk, and whatever other areas which were important.

A second book could be a shorter softcover gazetteer acting as a player's guide, without having any new classes, races, feats, etc ... It may possibly resemble something like a better version of that cheesy "Adventurer's Guide to Eberron" book, but with more useful player information and in a softcover book form. If it's a softcover book with 32 to 64 pages, it may sell for 10-15 bucks.

JoeGKushner

First Post
1. Greyhawk brings no new crunch to the table in most instances.

2. People are forgetting that FR and Eberron isn't just about 'core' PHB races like Draognborn and Tielflings. Goliaths, Devas, etc... will have to have a place in the reimagined Greyhawk as well.

3. I'd pay good money to see the old Rogue's Gallery updated.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
and really Greyhawk got replaced by the Realms in third edition.

In second edition, really. That's when the Realms really took over Greyhawk's position. Sure, there were a few Greyhawk products, but few of those are looked back upon fondly.

Third edition saw a big push in Greyhawk courtesy of the RPGA: the Living Greyhawk campaign was very big indeed. I suspect more people played Greyhawk in 3e than any other setting.

Cheers!

ggroy

First Post
2. People are forgetting that FR and Eberron isn't just about 'core' PHB races like Draognborn and Tielflings. Goliaths, Devas, etc... will have to have a place in the reimagined Greyhawk as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just shifted Greyhawk's timeline by 1000 years, and start again from a relatively "clean slate". Then they don't have to pay as much attention to the canon from the last 30+ years. (ie. Just like 4E Forgotten Realms).

ggroy

First Post
If they do ever get around to releasing a 4E Greyhawk, I wouldn't be surprised if it is released in the waning days of 4E's market lifetime.

Recall that the 3.5E "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk" book was released the same month that 4E D&D was announced at gencon 2007.

JoeGKushner

First Post
If they do ever get around to releasing a 4E Greyhawk, I wouldn't be surprised if it is released in the waning days of 4E's market lifetime.

Recall that the 3.5E "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk" book was released the same month that 4E D&D was announced at gencon 2007.

And when was the 3.5e version of Greyhawk itself released?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads