• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greyhawk by another publisher?

Thurbane

First Post
Just curious, would anyone like to see Greyhawk picked up by a 3rd party publisher, the way Ravenloft and Dragonlance were?

Speaking for myself, I think the setting "where roleplaying began" deserves a nobler fate than simply fading away with 4E.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Thurbane said:
Just curious, would anyone like to see Greyhawk picked up by a 3rd party publisher, the way Ravenloft and Dragonlance were?

Speaking for myself, I think the setting "where roleplaying began" deserves a nobler fate than simply fading away with 4E.

PAIZO.

Friadoc

Explorer
If Greyhawk was put up on the auction block, I have a feeling that Erik Mona would ransack that place like the Mongol Horde under Genghis Khan and win the day.

Seriously, it is quite evident that himself and a lot of people associated with Paizo are fans of the setting and unless some big name, backed with big money, or a richer than all get out fan came in, I doubt anyone else would be able to get that license or property out of Mona's hands, unless the man was dead.

*chuckles*

Plus, I doubt it should go anywhere else, first, as I've a feeling that if he had control of Greyhawk, we'd be in for an awesomeness that is on par with the current level of product that is coming out of Paizo.

And that is a nice level of awesome to be at. *grins*

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We've raised the issue every year since Paizo started, including a couple of months ago, and it's always been a non-starter. The official word from Scott Rouse is that Wizards of the Coast is not currently interested in licensing any of its campaign settings to third-party companies.

I wouldn't be surprised (though I know absolutely nothing on this score) to see an official Wizards of the Coast Greyhawk hardcover somewhere down the road, though, with tons of support on D&D Insider. I have a feeling they may be taking that route with a lot of their campaign settings.

So for the time being, we're focusing on the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, which gets a "rules-lite" 64-page gazetteer in January.

--Erik

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I asked about campaign settings at the Q&A they had on 4e at GenCon, and they basically said that WotC might publish them on occasion, bringing them "out of the vault" like Disney does with its old movies.

It's a bit of a shame, really, as I felt Margaret Weis Productions was doing a bang-up job with Dragonlance (I'm biased, of course!). I'm sure Paizo would have done equally well with Greyhawk. Ah, well. It's business.

borc killer

First Post
Erik Mona said:
So for the time being, we're focusing on the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, which gets a "rules-lite" 64-page gazetteer in January.

--Erik

Not to derail the thread but can you tell me if the "Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting" be evolved in each of the future releases? It was not clear to me if this setting ended after the 6th installment/gazetteer and a new setting began. I assume it will keep going but wanted to check

Also any official word yet on when/if you guys will switch to 4e with the Pathfinder?

If you can’t answer ether of those here I understand. I’ll be watching paizo.com too.

thanks

Zendragon

First Post
For me personally, no, I wouldn't buy it. But being a Dragonlance fan, I know how much a "dead world" means to people. So if it would make some Greyhawk fans happy, then sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads