Greyhawk experts -- what is the current year?

Eric Anondson said:
In WotC's mind, the Greyhawk setting is perpetually in 591. In the RPGA's mind, Greyhawk is moving forward with unpaid volunteers developing things. In the general fan's mind? They can choose whenever they wish, but unless they are tapped in with the RPGA campaign's writings, they're best served ignoring the RPGA timeline... maybe grabbing from some of the Living Greyhawk Journal stuff that was once published in Dragon or Dungeon magazine...

Thanks. I agree 591 CY is the way I'd choose, if I were starting new.

In my current campaign, it's something like 588 or 589 CY, but my timeline diverged after the 1981 GH boxed set, so it really doesn't matter.

I also have a conversion to the Tolkien calendar . . . "now" is sometime between the Battle of Five Armies (The Hobbit) and Bilbo's 111th birthday (The Fellowship of the Ring). I thought it was great DMing fun to have a signed copy of "There and Back Again" be found on a shelf in the library of the abandoned mansion in "The Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh" -- gave everybody shivers, even me who wrote it, to think how it got there and what that meant to the campaign! (Like Lucas, I don't know, it just seemed cool at the time, and I'll figure out the backstory later.)

Remove ads