[Grim Tales] Slavelords Of Cydonia [full]

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Genre: Characters should be 19th century “modern.” You may think of your characters in the “Call of Cthulhu” or “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” genre. Somewhere in the 1800-1900 range is fine. Try not to define your character by any specific real world history, as we want to encourage a century-wide breadth of characters.

Ability Scores: Assign the elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). If you post a decent illustration of your character with your character sheet, you can “advance” one attribute by 1 point.

Skills: Choose one Craft, one Knowledge, one Profession, and 6 other skills of your choice. (Smart and Charismatic heroes will have additional skill choices.) We will not use Backgrounds.

Classes: Starting characters should be 3rd level. You may multiclass freely, of course.

Races: All characters are human.

Hit Points: You will receive maximum hit points on your first hit die, and average hit points at each additional level (rounding up).

Action Points:
1. Action dice are d6’s.
2. Action dice spent for healing after combat are exploding (if you roll a 6, roll again and add it to the previous total).
3. Action points refresh at the beginning of each Book.
4. In addition to the usual uses for APs, you can spend an Action Point to emulate a feat. (You must meet the prerequisites for the feat.)

Equipment: You can have about a dozen "items" or "entries" of equipment. Anything you want, just put it on your character sheet. However, if I don't like it, I will veto it. The first veto is free. When I reach two vetoes, I won't look at anything else on the list. So, obviously, you'll want to put the most important AND the most reasonable equipment at the top of your list. ;)

Firearms: Firearms technology includes “cartridges.” Automatic weapons are not available.

Spellcasting: You are unlikely to have freewheeling access to new spells but a character who “dabbles in the occult” is permissible: If your character begins play with the Magical Adept talent, you will have one 0-level spell of your choice for each point of your spellcasting attribute, plus one higher level spell to be decided by me based on the party makeup and your character background.

Spoilers: If you have already read Slavelords of Cydonia, you need to email me what you know so that I can change the adventure as necessary to ensure that there are surprises and fun for everyone. Do NOT post spoilers in this thread.

Character Sheets: http://www.badaxegames.com/mm/pdf/gt_character_sheet.pdf

I will transfer all characters over to a character sheet like that before we begin, but you may want to use it in the meantime to prepare.

Backgrounds: Don't worry about your character background. I will use the competencies evident on your character sheet to help you craft a background that meshes with the other characters.

Game Thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=142706

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ragboy said:
Wulf,

Do you want us to post concepts/characters here, or ship them directly to you?

Here.

The only thing that should be coming directly to me are spoilers or any other information that for whatever reason can't be public.

Wulf

ragboy

Explorer
Okay, here's my idea for a character. Lemme know if this is Grim enough... and I'll build him out.

T. Rawley Sutton
(Terrance - He punches people that call him Terrance)
Profession: Newspaper Coorespondent
History: Cattlehand, soldier, college, newspaperman.
Began his life on his parents' New Mexico cattle ranch. Was a passable hand throughout his young life (12 - 17). Enlisted in the cavalry and fought natives in the western states (mostly Texas, New Mexico, Colorado). Ended up in a unit attached to a Pinkerton Detective agency group that tracked outlaws into Mexico and South America. Left this service after a prolonged tropical disease and moved East at 22. Went to college in New Hampshire and became a newspaperman specializing in war/conflict coorespondance.

Sort of a Frank Hopkins meets Jack London/Herman Melville/Joseph Conrad, etc.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ragboy said:
Okay, here's my idea for a character. Lemme know if this is Grim enough... and I'll build him out.

T. Rawley Sutton
(Terrance - He punches people that call him Terrance)
Profession: Newspaper Coorespondent
History: Cattlehand, soldier, college, newspaperman.
Began his life on his parents' New Mexico cattle ranch. Was a passable hand throughout his young life (12 - 17). Enlisted in the cavalry and fought natives in the western states (mostly Texas, New Mexico, Colorado). Ended up in a unit attached to a Pinkerton Detective agency group that tracked outlaws into Mexico and South America. Left this service after a prolonged tropical disease and moved East at 22. Went to college in New Hampshire and became a newspaperman specializing in war/conflict coorespondance.

Sort of a Frank Hopkins meets Jack London/Herman Melville/Joseph Conrad, etc.

I think we can work with that. We might have to massage the details.

Generally speaking you are better off worrying about the kind of personality you'll be playing than a detailed life/career history. To say that Terrance-- sorry, T-- is a young, inquisitive, resourceful and daring war correspondent might be easier to mesh with the rest of the group.

On the other hand, providing me with extra detail also helps me find connections. So it's not a bad thing, either.

We're going to have to work pretty hard and be pretty flexible, I think, to get a half dozen characters together into a cohesive group.

It's never easy being "first" when you're unsure what the GM is looking for but this is a great start.

Old One

First Post
Here she is...

Brigitta Nielson

Briggita might be considered a nice girl...if it wasn't for her unhealthy fascination with cadavers. Classically trained the finest medical school in Vienna, her talents are wasted on occult mummery and grave-robbing. Despite her fascination with things no longer living, she is a first-rate surgeon when she puts her mind to it.

Her obsession with death and dying has led her to various battlefields around Europe, where she has become somewhat of an expert in a variety of battlefield injuries. In addition, she has gained a decent knowledge in the latest killing instruments of the day. Although she is a wisp of girl, years of hauling corpses about as given her strength that belies her size.

Smart 3
Action Points: ???
Speed: 30 ft
Initiative: +6

S:13
D:14
C:12
I:16
W:8
Ch:10

Hit Points: 17 (7+5+5)
MDT: 12
BAB: +1
Defense: +1

Saving Throws (Base)

Fort: +2 (1)
Ref: +3 (1)
Will: +1 (2)

Core Skills (Ranks)

Craft (Medical Instruments): +10 (6)
Knowledge (Anatomy): +9 (5)
Profession (Physician): +5 (6)
Healing: +12 (6)
Forgery: +8 (5)
Knowledge (Herbalism): +9 (5)
Search: +9 (6)
Disable Device: +11 (5)
Research: +8 (5)
Craft (Poison): +12 (6)
Ride: +4 (5)
Concentration: +7 (6)
Spellcraft: +9 (6)

Feats

Simple Weapons Proficiency
Skill Focus (Healing)
Surgery
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Improved Initiative

Talents:

Savant (Disable Device)
Magical Adept (Arcane)

Weapons

1 Webley Bulldog Revolver (.45 for simplicity)
D 2d6, Range 30 (snubnose)

2 Surgical Cleavers (MW, if allowed)
D 1d4, 19-20, x2

Equimpent:

Medical/Surgical Kit (MW, if allowed)
Writing satchel w/ pens, inks and various "official" letterheads
Compact digging tool w/interchangable shovel/pick head
Herbal/Poison field kit
Magnifying Spectacles (delicate, designed for operating room use)
Traveling Clothes
"Official" Doctor's Clothes (Vienna Surgical Style)

~ OO

EDIT: I can't quit tinkering...last change (I think)...swapped Disable Device for Forgery with Savant Talent.

Attachments

• 1prisonangel.jpg
    1prisonangel.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

ragboy

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
We're going to have to work pretty hard and be pretty flexible, I think, to get a half dozen characters together into a cohesive group.

It's never easy being "first" when you're unsure what the GM is looking for but this is a great start.

No sweat on flexibility. This is just the first character that popped into my head.

I guess I tend to think of a person backwards from that. Their history and how it shaped them. For some reason, I always see their history first, then their personality.

T. Rawley is mentally tenacious...able to string together seemingly random bits of information into a cloth of a story. His strength of mind is the only thing that held him together when he suffered through a debilitating sickness South of the Border. Though not a particularly friendly man, his insights seem to draw people into revealing more than they would for another reporter. And usually more than they should about a given engagement. Though he relies on his wit to keep him alive, he carries his Daddy's .45 in his shoulder bag for those times when Colt must equalize a situation.

--- Are these guys perfectly oblivious to paranormal stuff, or do they know something ain't right in the world?

I'm thinking Dedicated 3 for this guy.
S: 8 D: 13 C: 12 I: 14 W: 15 Ch: 10

Talents: Empathy and Intuition

-- Edit: Hell, if his Charisma was lower, I'd almost think he was a 19th century Kolchak...

Hjorimir

Adventurer
William T. Brown "Bill Brown" (Fast 3)

Bill has done a lot of rough jobs in his travels. I imagine him as a Texas Ranger who retired after being at odds with the administration. He's something of a loose cannon so the US Government wasn't too sad to see him go. On the other hand, he did get some dirty jobs done so there are times when they miss him.

Since his departure, Bill has developed something of a gambling addiction.

Think Wyatt Earp meets Riggs (Lethal Weapon).

S:12 D:16 C:14 I:10 W:8 Ch:13

Talents: Improved Reaction, Evasion

Feats: Personal Firearms Proficiency, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot

Skills: Craft:Gunsmith, Knowledge:US Law, Profession:Gambler, Bluff, Concentrate, Intimidate, Listen, Ride, Sleight of Hand

dodgecity8.jpg

Fenris

Adventurer
Well let me stake out my claim here:

I am envisioning a soldier of the empire. John Haskins. He has served his majesty on nearly every continent, and since the sun doesn't set on it, there are lots of place to earn ones keep. I am picturing a man who the other soldiers look to for inspiration, mostly by deeds, but sometimes by words. He's the one who slogs one through the rain or tells the bawdy joke that keeps spirits up. He's the one who doesn't complain about the bad food, but instead goes out and wheels, deals and charms his way into a local house for real food. A bit of a rogue, he has a rugged appeal that makes him a favorite with the ladies.

Think of Sean Connery's character from The Man Who Would Be King, maybe with some Sir Richard Francis Burton thrown in. I am looking at Char 1/Tough 2.

I will post stats up a bit later.

Edit: Found a good mini, still looking for a decent image, but the minin captures him well.

Attachments

• John  Haskins mini.jpg
    John Haskins mini.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Here is what I have, subject to Wulf's approval:

John Haskins
Char 1/Tough 2
Reputation +2
Action Points
Speed
Initiative +2

STR 12
DEX 14
CON 15
INT 10
WIS 8
CHA 14

Hit Points 26
MDT: 18
BAB +1
Defense +2

Saving Throws
Fort +5
Ref +3
Will +1

Core Skills (ranks)
Craft: Firearms +0(0)
Knowledge: Tactics +2(2)
Profession: Soldier +1(2)
Spot +3(4)
Survival +4(5)
Bluff +6 (4)
Ride +6(4)
Intimidate +7(5)
Gather Information +6(4)
Diplomacy +6(4)

Feats
Armor Proficiency Light
Simple Weapons Proficiency
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Iron Will
Improved Damage Threshold
Endurance

Talents
Charm
Robust

Equipment
Martini-Henry rifle .45 single action breech loader
70 rounds .45 rifle ammo (standard issue)
Bayonet
Survival pack (compass, flints etc)
Hunting knife
Tent
Blanket

Last edited:

Remove ads